Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

... so I can go fishing again!!!
Not a good start to this year!!! Totally bummed My Hobie is out of commission right now. I was taking my old transducer for my old fishfinder out of the bottom of my kayak. It was mounted for through-hull scanning and had tons of goop to hold it in place. So I was using a chisel and got the dang thing out, but I put a huge gash through my kayak. What would be the easiest way to repair it? I have included some pictures. And BTW, I was using my old Panasonic Lumix camera to take some pictures of the hull, I dropped the camera and now my viewfinder doesn't work on it !!! UGH!!!! It all started when my work shift changed this year and took away my real weekends. ok.. take a deep breath, Ed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ed, I would also post in the main Hobie Kayaking forum. Many more threads and people posting there viewforum.php?f=11

Hobie dealer sells a welding tool/kit: 72097001 KC WELDER PRO
It's basically a soldering iron with a hollow tip that you can shove poly "rod" through. It's on page 31 of the accessories catalog. The poly rod is available via Hobie as well or maybe Bob can help with this.
Here's one.. Bob can likely get this as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Welder-With ... B004CGCY34

Your bud,
John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed, after repairing your '09 Revo, consider selling it while the resale value is reasonable and buy a new Outback that has the Lowrance ready transducer feature......plus you get the latest up grades and drive changes. It will make fishing more pleasurable in the long run. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 2014 Revolution also has the transducer pocket, which works great, and you can get adapters for use with fish finders other than Lowrance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

JRiv wrote:
Ed, I would also post in the main Hobie Kayaking forum. Many more threads and people posting there viewforum.php?f=11

Hobie dealer sells a welding tool/kit: 72097001 KC WELDER PRO
It's basically a soldering iron with a hollow tip that you can shove poly "rod" through. It's on page 31 of the accessories catalog. The poly rod is available via Hobie as well or maybe Bob can help with this.
Here's one.. Bob can likely get this as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Welder-With ... B004CGCY34

Your bud,
John

Thanks for the information, John! I purchased the KC Weld Kit from Hobie. I will repair it, then get it out on the water a few times then consider selling it :-) Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Does anyone know how I can get more plastic rods from Hobie for more repairs?