Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, i just purchased my brand new Hobie Pro Angler 14 kayak and cant wait to get out on the water and use it.

I was wondering if there was anyone from South Australia that can give me a few hot spots in suburban areas or down yorkes.

I currently have a family shack at Corny point right on the beach which is just awesome, catch plenty of garfish, tommies and whiting from my kayak out there but i want to get onto something bigger, some snapper.

I am a very excited boy at the moment :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I do know (as you would) that the Yorke Peninsula and the rest of the South Australian coast are favoured haunts of Great White sharks. And I didn't have to look too hard to find cases of these sharks attacking kayaks in this area http://www.news.com.au/national/woman-saves-mate-from-shark-attack/story-e6frfkvr-1226325443107 or menacingly circling small boats http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/m-great-white-circles-boaters-off-point-souttar-yorke-peninsula/story-e6frea83-1226547334596.

To me, going any distance offshore in these waters in a 50 kilogram pedal kayak that makes fin movements not unlike a seal really does blur the line between lure fishing and being the lure.

Very interesting thread. I really enjoyed reading the Yorke Peninsular Fishing Guide http://www.southaustralia.com/regions/yorke-peninsula-fishing-boating.aspx. Looking forward to hearing advice/info from kayak fishermen in these areas....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yep its certainly a risk you take and its certainly one that i am not taking too lightly. I am not one for the big off shore stuff, especially in South Australia. A lot of the waters i have fished in have been pretty sheltered, that still doesn't mean that sharks cant be around. At Corny Point where my family shack is, the spot there is great, its pretty sheltered and plenty of great spots for fishing. I hear there are some good spots down at Wallaroo and Coopers Beach too.