Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's pretty cool. Is that the software that came with it? I noticed the compass doesn't want to pass through north, but goes all the way around through south instead. I'm kinda surprised a Garmin product would have that kind of a glitch.

I've found that I can export a .gpx file from my videos and export weather history for nearby airports from http://wunderground.com/history. I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to create an Excel macro for combining them before importing into DashWare. That would give me more "live" wind information, but since it's not the wind on the water, and it's pretty rough information (anywhere from 15 - 60 minute increments) I'm not sure how much of a difference it would really make.

There is quite a bit of potential variation possible between .gpx files. I'd be curious to see how the VIRB output compares to my exported data. Would you mind opening one of your gpx files in Notepad and PMing me about the first 20 lines or so? The more common it is the more I'd be inclined to make the Excel macro, then I could share it if you got DashWare.

I'm also curious why you would want VMG to the next mark. Wouldn't VMG to windward be more important until you hit the layline? Once you hit the layline, you should be turning straight for the mark at which point straight speed would be more important?

-Rowdy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,
This is my first posting here. My handle is the first hobie we had and raced at every possible Florida race. My dad's friend's son was my crew to get us up to 150lbs. The last hobie i owned in the lower 48 was hobie 18#600 which i normally sailed with a 180lb pound crew. We always beat up on the nacras in Nor Cal back in those days. and the rest of the H18s for that matter. Then during the 80s i sailed OPB (other people's boats) or at the Hobie nationals/ worlds you would sail supplied boats. I don't know what the sail number of the H18 that i have now is because it didn't come with a sail, but it's a 1991 SX without the wings. It has a set of old Tornado sails on it now.

Anyway there is a camera called an atc-9k that has an optional gps module and it's own software to display your video in one window while other displays are shown in other tiled windows on the screen. So it connects to google earth and gives that image as one of the tiles. There is also a tile for speed with a graph. This is a different approach than the OP, so not sure if it's all that relevant.

if you skip ahead to 1:31 in this video you can see an example. I did a quicktime screen recording of the ATC software in action and put the clip in my little video. http://vimeo.com/70732729 It isn't shot from a hobiecat. i hope that's ok. I am a composite board builder these days and made an SUP sized cat because they won't let me launch the 18 at the beach that i like to sail from, but they do let people carry in SUP and kayaks.

It's a fact that video shot from a tender or from shore is much more useful, and more interesting, but onboard video has some use and is way better than no video at all for learning purposes.

The ATC gave me many problems, but they sent me a new one twice. Now i am careful to mount it where it doesn't get bumped and i double check the snap that makes the seal for the case. Also it's better to turn it on at sea because the gps can't seem to connect at the beach launch spot. If it isn't connected when the camera first starts shooting, no gps data records for the first 20 min. increment. The camera saves the shoot into 20 minute video files, so the gps kicks in on the second file sometimes for me. You would have to search out this camera, because it's discontinued. -i think because it is a little delicate- . There are newer models from oregon scientific, but i have not checked them out.
-d.rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heck. I'll email ya whatever ya want. Would the whole gpx file work better?

Just pm me your emai

yes. That is the software which came with it. It had a couple options but kinda limited IMO. But was very easy to use.

And yeah. That little glitch a zero degrees is pretty annoying. I expect there will be plenty of software updates.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dream of someday being able to 'watch' Big Hobie events

:D

http://origin.sailing.org/worldcup/mult ... acking.php

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A sampling from the Point for Points regatta. Garmin VIRB Elite..

http://youtu.be/JOklkf2fV4w