Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure where my first post went but my apologies if I'm duplicating posts.

Anyhow, I'm looking to buy my first Hobie and can't decide between the PA12 or 14.

I'm fishing fresh water, mainly lakes and possibly the Delta in Northern California. I would rather not trailer and would just transport on top of my SUV.

I like the portability of the 12 but like the extra room of the 14.

Thanks!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill, I would start with the SUV roof rack rating......the PA-12 is about 120 pounds and the PA-14 is about 140 pounds....you don't want to exceed the roof rack max load rating.
Then, how is you physical conditioning?
Are you able to lift the heavier PA-14 and control it ...especially if it's windy?

If you are comfortable answering yes to the above questions...then...The price delta really favors the PA-14....IMHO you get more kayak for a small initial investment.

I own a PA-14, use a Hobie Trailex trailer and are very happy with my configuration as the PA is on the trailer and ready to go on a moments notice.....solves storage at the same time too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 14 is only 20 lbs heavier but is 2 feet longer and 2 inches wider. Car topping either is a bear but it is done. The 14 gives you alot more room and floatation. I honestly can not figurre out why they made the 12 ....... I honestly don't see the advantage ...... except for the 20 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a 14 and a trailer underneath it. Car-topping the PA CAN be done... but in my experience EVERY friend who owned a PA and cartopped liked their PA a little less every time they went out... they all ended up selling theirs. I bought mine with the intent of always trailering it and loading unloading as I would a reg boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards a 12. I think in California I have to register the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have two PA14s. There's nothing wrong with the PA12 especially if you want a little shorter length. I do believe both can be a challenge for loading on top of a vehicle. When I purchased the first PA14, it was always transported in the back of the pickup.

If I would have only had a car or SUV to use, I would have gone the trailer route as either model can be challenging for some to lift it that high even standing it on the stern. The REVO 11 we had was easy to pickup and load anywhere. The PA is a totally different animal. Now that I have two PAs, it was a no brainer to get a trailer for transporting and for storage.

Whichever model you get PA12 or PA14, I'm sure you will be thrilled with it. Good luck and tight lines! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went with a 14. 20lbs of weight for 100 lbs of flotation seemed like a fair trade. And I actually think the extra length helps me load it on my (tall) suv. After along day it can be tough. but its funny, a dozen bystanders are usually around, eager to help. but i usually say "thanks but no, I have to get used to doing this myself."

the only con I can think of is that The 14 doesn't fit through the gate to my backyard laying down; I have to roll it up on its side on dollies. The 12 might have rolled right through. With that said I still have zero regrets about my decision.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on your new PA and welcome to the club. Don't forget the pics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At 72 years old and also transporting my PA on a trailer, I find that most of my fishing buddies are always wanting to help out an old man :mrgreen: I usually tell them I can handle it but on some days I just like to stand back and watch them do what I could have done. Guess that comes with age and experience :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

14 was the best choice! Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FWIW-
The fitted weights are 98 & 110lbs....only 12lbs difference between the PA12 & 14.
Rigged weights are 120 & 138lbs, a difference of 18lbs....Don't know where that additional 6lbs came from, considering rigging consists of seat, Mirage Drive & paddle....same for both boats.

I had my choice of either boat, and I've choose the PA12 two years in a row.
For me it's not a weight capacity or amount of storage thing, for me it's a transportation issue.
If I could use my trailer (SportsRig Micro Trailer) 100% of the time and I still had a three stall garage (as opposed to two-stall at the new house), I would have chosen the PA14...but alas, many of the places I launch at don't allow trailers.
Because of this I, only use my trailer when my son & his boat (Revo 11) are tagging along, all other times, boat goes in the bed of my Ford Sport-Trac (4-1/2' bed) and even with the bed extender, the 14 would hang 10' put of the back....a bit too much for me.

Other than the need to adjust the rudder a bit more on the 12, I'm good with my choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, not sure what happened but I didn't buy the PA yet.

I think another person responded that he had made a choice to go with the 14.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those of you that haul your PA 14 in the bed of your pickup, do you use a bed extender or not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't use the bed extender if I'm going to my lake as it's a few blocks down the street to one of the ramps. If I were fishing within short distance from home, I might not use it. For any long trips, I would definitely use the bed extender. I guess it all depends on your bed length, how much you have in the PA (weight wise) and how you secure the PA in the pickup bed.

One key in either case is to make sure you hang a bright red or orange flag off the handle from whatever end of the PA is at the back. That way people behind you will take notice.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BrooklynTech wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards a 12. I think in California I have to register the trailer.

That is correct but it is what CA. calls a PTI (Permanent Trailer ID) it is only a few bucks every 5 years if I remember correctly. I have a 14' PA that I transport on a trailer. I fish the low and high elevation lakes in the central valley and highway 88 area of CA. I would feel more comfortable in the Delta with a 14' PA, the Delta can get very rough and nasty at times unless you plan on staying in the protected areas and even with the 14' you will have to pick and choose the days you go out. FWIW I use a boat in the Delta and the PA is strictly for lakes, I also use a YakAttack flag to make myself more visible if I am at a lake where there are power boaters.