Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a very good video about things that can go wrong. It is a WaterTriber on a practice run, and he is using a Kruger with outriggers & sail--a much more expensive rig than our AI/TIs. Again, all the things that happen to him on a relatively routine sail could happen to us.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

to prevent some of the water getting in his yak so easily, he could have attached his skirt, and had his feet in the cockpit via the hole in the skirt where his hips would normally be, would stoop a lot of the water.

but looked like a good bad luck scenario, poor bugger lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joel, it looks to me as if Swimboy (the author of that video) has a tight fitting, neoprene-waist skirt. It would have been pretty difficult for him to remove that. He seems determined not to stop sailing. Of course, it is difficult for him to reef his sail and take his skirt off to cover the cockpit. Much of this illustrates why AI/TIs are such versatile and safe boats. The video is also a nice example of a WaterTriber attitude: always keep moving forward no matter how difficult.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
Joel, it looks to me as if Swimboy (the author of that video) has a tight fitting, neoprene-waist skirt. It would have been pretty difficult for him to remove that. He seems determined not to stop sailing. Of course, it is difficult for him to reef his sail and take his skirt off to cover the cockpit. Much of this illustrates why AI/TIs are such versatile and safe boats. The video is also a nice example of a WaterTriber attitude: always keep moving forward no matter how difficult.

Keith

no question on that, he had the determination that looked like if he sank, he would have walked along the bottom to get to his destination :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, this post was deleted because the video it mentioned is no longer available.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Navionics app on my Android smartphone, and this is a fully fledged navigation app (well in terms of tracking etc detail at least). You probably noticed the output from stringy's phone overlaid in Google Earth, id the Port Stephens thread.
I use mine as a back-up to my Lowrance Elite 4 plotter/finder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I saw that, Tony, but it didn't connect with me because I did not have a smart phone or tablet. I happened to pick up a tablet--really a spur of the moment thing in Costco's--and I was amazed to see it had GPS capabilities. That is when the light went on. Frankly, regarding Android phones and tablets, I don't think apps scale well, i.e., the phone apps may be more sophisticated than those on a tablet. Still, the potential is there. No question, these apps must be eating into Garmin and other GPS manufacturer's bottom line. Good! Maybe it will wake Garmin up in their hand-held GPS division.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do like navionics for the iPhone. The iPad version costs $50 though, and then you have to pay for advanced options and other add ons.

No thanks. I'm not THAT interested in drowning my new iPad…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Check Out This GPS Marine & Lake Chart App for Tablets

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet (Costco, ca $229). It is a 7” Android tablet. You could say it is a smart phone w/o the phone—just smart. A great feature of many tablets is that they have an on-board GPS. Here is a 2-min YouTube video where I describe that tablet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KoEGQ4yd4

Couple the tablet GPS with a compass app, and you have a compass. I’m not big on compasses, but it works. The app that I was very interested in was Navionics Marine&Lakes: USA HD. Rather expensive at $49. However, it is no ordinary app. This is an app that works with your GPS and provides a good coastal chart for all of the USA, as well as good charting info on the larger lakes around the US. The coastal chart is better than Garmin’s Blue Chart G2, which retails at about $160 and sells at Amazon for $106.

Navionics M&L app is designed for tablets. In addition to the good coastal charting, you can easily lay out a route to follow—your GPS shows your location on the chart—and it can set up a track so you can see how well you followed the route in reaching your destination. In no way is this app as capable as a dedicated GPS, like a Garmin 78 w/ the Blue Chart G2 chip, but that setup costs upwards of $350 or more. This app is easy to operate and provides good results. A major advantage of a tablet over any handheld GPS (& most smartphones) is its huge screen. The 7" Galaxy Tab 3 screen is 9 times larger than a Garmin 78 GPS screen. Here is a 6 min video I produced to illustrate the app. If you can't see the YouTube video below, here is the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_tsgHFMRI

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_tsgHFMRI[/youtube]

These are some screen shots of the Navionics app on the Galaxy tablet . There are coastal areas, as well as a lake.

Everglades National Park, Florida Bay near Flamingo--I'm impressed with the detail, but it is capable of showing much more detail as you bore in still further.

Tarr Inlet at the northernmost reaches of Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. I was interested in this area, because we camped here one night across from beautiful Marjorie Glacier.

Portion of Jackson Lake near Signal Mountain, Grand Teton National Park

Hawaii is included. This is the Pearl Harbor area. Again, the app can show much more detail as you expand the view.

Keith

NOHUHU--I think the iPad version is "inavx" , http://www.inavx.com It is very capable, but expensive with all the add-ons. I recommend putting your iPad in a large Drypak bag before taking it on the water--no sense proving that it is not waterproof.

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are buying the navionics app, skip the HD version. It costs an extra $30 but is basicly the same app. The normal one works great on my 7" Nexus 7.

j

Chekika wrote:
Wow! Check Out This GPS Marine & Lake Chart App for Tablets

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 tablet (Costco, ca $229). It is a 7” Android tablet. You could say it is a smart phone w/o the phone—just smart. A great feature of many tablets is that they have an on-board GPS. Here is a 2-min YouTube video where I describe that tablet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1KoEGQ4yd4

Couple the tablet GPS with a compass app, and you have a compass. I’m not big on compasses, but it works. The app that I was very interested in was Navionics Marine&Lakes: USA HD. Rather expensive at $49. However, it is no ordinary app. This is an app that works with your GPS and provides a good coastal chart for all of the USA, as well as good charting info on the larger lakes around the US. The coastal chart is better than Garmin’s Blue Chart G2, which retails at about $160 and sells at Amazon for $106.

Navionics M&L app is designed for tablets. In addition to the good coastal charting, you can easily lay out a route to follow—your GPS shows your location on the chart—and it can set up a track so you can see how well you followed the route in reaching your destination. In no way is this app as capable as a dedicated GPS, like a Garmin 78 w/ the Blue Chart G2 chip, but that setup costs upwards of $350 or more. This app is easy to operate and provides good results. Here is a 6 min video I produced to illustrate the app. If you can't see the YouTube video below, here is the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_tsgHFMRI

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad_tsgHFMRI[/youtube]

These are some screen shots of the Navionics app on the Galaxy tablet . There are coastal areas, as well as a lake.

Everglades National Park, Florida Bay near Flamingo--I'm impressed with the detail, but it is capable of showing much more detail as you bore in still further.

Tarr Inlet at the northernmost reaches of Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska. I was interested in this area, because we camped here one night across from beautiful Marjorie Glacier.

Portion of Jackson Lake near Signal Mountain, Grand Teton National Park

Hawaii is included. This is the Pearl Harbor area. Again, the app can show much more detail as you expand the view.

Keith

NOHUHU--I think the iPad version is "inavx" , http://www.inavx.com It is very capable, but expensive with all the add-ons. I recommend putting your iPad in a large Drypak bag before taking it on the water--no sense proving that it is not waterproof.

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KM7--the only one that was offered was the HD, and according to the description, was for tablets only.

The smartphone version might be the same thing, but cheaper ($9.99). I only have a dumb phone--which easily saves the cost of the Navionics app on my smart tablet, almost every month.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DILDO KEY BANK....
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

yes i have a immature sense of humor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope I'm not the only one who does not understand the joke???

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use an iphone app called isailer from transas. I can't remember the cost but I think it was ten bucks, then another 5 bucks for the Florida chart. I have a life proof case on my iphone which is waterproof, and also a life proof arm band that I attach the phone to my wrist/forearm. I have Bluetooth earbuds so I can use my phone or listen to music while I'm out pedaling every weekend. The only issue I have is seeing the screen in bright sunlight, I have no idea how others do it (see their screens). I also control my gopro from my iphone which works nicely.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, Bob, I have to admit the iPhone is a neat device. I had the first one, didn't use it that much, and for sure didn't like the monthly service charge. Went back to a dumb phone--which has left me "phone app" challenged for awhile. Now, however, with my smart Android tablet, I'm fine, at least until the next killer app comes out on the iPhone.

I always have my devices in AquaPac or Drypak bags and position them where I can read them (or simply pick them up and orient them to read.) This is probably a big advantage compared to wearing them on your arm.

The GoPro app is going to be a great app for controlling our GoPro cameras when they are out on the boom. Life is getting simpler in many ways.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 80  Next