Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Towing with ATV
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Why make a cart and sell a cart and make it for your kayaks if you dont recommend it...ever?

Plug in carts are generally for car top to water transport / short distance... by hand. They are not trailers.

Quote:
wondered if I couldn't just tie the front carry handle of the Prangler to my trailer hitch and SLOWLY pull it up that 100 yards of steep ramp.

Situations vary so greatly that a broad warning is all we can advise. When you pull a kayak by hand... you can not go too fast. When you pull by hand you can feel and hear if there are problems.

Logically... pulled or towed at the same speed and with careful consideration for the proper fit and tires not rubbing or bouncing... all makes sense. Just be careful. Its really easy to speed up and not be able to hear the axle squealing or feel the tire going flat... boat falling off the cart... impacting a rock, curb or whatever.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fusion - I loved those picts, but your TI is gonna blow the tires out on that beach cruiser! :lol:

And outriggers on the bike would be advised…

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Kencard wrote:
I have a pro angler 12 and would like to know if anyone knows if their is an attachment or universal connector that I could hook up to my ATV for towing it on the cart. I have to haul it quite a ways, If anyone has seen some kind of device for doing this or has an idea I would appreciate it.
Ken
RockyRaab wrote:
...wondered if I couldn't just tie the front carry handle of the Prangler to my trailer hitch and SLOWLY pull it up that 100 yards of steep ramp. Walking speed is walking speed, even if it's more like wheezing speed.
Given these cautions, I think a slightly raised boom with a ball or cleat extending from the rear would let you dangle the bow below the boom. a quick loop around your cleat/ball will secure the boat to the end of the boom. The boat's ability to move to and fro under the boom will act as a shock absorber for any pot holes, rocks, etc., allowing the wheels to ease out or over any obstacles. If you go slow enough that the boat doesn't bounce on the wheels and don't let the boat sit around on the cart, it will probably work great!

I use tennis balls on the cart legs as shock absorbers and load spreaders. If you try it, just make sure the cart legs extend all the way through the hull!
yaknewbie wrote:
I wasnt asking for your opinion, just the poster
We get confused easily around here. To address a "poster" and not the general forum, you can always address them on your post (example -- "jbernier, please elaborate on your comment"). Better yet, send them a PM (private message). That way we won't try to help!

Best, Dick 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seems like this might not work out
I have alternate idea, maybe someone has seen something that will work
I was thinking some kind of power cart or cart with a drive.
I know this sounds corny or redneck but the lawn mowers that have drive, adapt it some way
Ideas??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kencard:
Not a crazy idea at all I think it would be pretty cool to have a four wheel dolly cart that's powered.
You would only need to pin two wheels to a live axle, mount a sprocket to the axle then add one of those electric drives for bikes ( they are very inexpensive). Or the drive system from one of those electric kid cars. Actually you could use the whole kid car, wheels and all along with steering and drive system (just don't get the pink Barbie car (lol)). Just take the body off and add a cradle. You would need to convert the throttle and steering to run on a tether.
Actually the guy who could really help here is captnchaos, he is an expert at that kind of stuff (robotics). Actually my youngest kid had a perfect kid car that was a jeep with big wide plastic wheels that sat in the garage for 5 years after he out grew it, I don't know why he stopped using it ( maybe because he is 21 now (lol))
Cool idea
Bob
( warning: usually what I think is really cool is usually off the map.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

Beautiful trailer! Could you please elaborate on the construction of the pictured trailer? I wish to embark on a project like this to hold two Outbacks and have researched the Harbor Freight trailers. My curiosity lies in the creation of the tongue and stabilization to the HF trailer base. I like the clevis pin flexibility to aid in storage and it appears you reused the HF hitch and short tongue. You note that all that was required to construct this was a drill and hacksaw yet it seemingly appears to these old eyes that a couple brackets (securing the v-shaped brace with 3 bolts) were welded? Please understand that I am not trying to be critical. I have no welding skills and would seek an alternate method of attachment if in fact some welding is required. If you can find the time, I'm sure several of us would appreciate more details about materials (aluminum sizes?) for this project. Any additional info or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim:
I spent most of my early life on the bench as a tool maker, and have very strong hands and mad skills at that kind of stuff, I just bent those V braces near the bow by hand and screwed them down to the frame. I wish I had a welder ( I used to TIG weld molds as part of my job, and had all the correct certifications to weld aircraft and stuff, but that was a long time ago), I don't have a welder anymore (but wish I did). You will find that 1/4 x 1 inch aluminum is very easy to bend and form by hand with just a simple bench vise, I just eyeball everything as I go.

I got all the aluminum at either Home Depot or Lowes (Lowes usually has a better selection). If you live near a big city with manufacturing, you will find aluminum much cheaper at metal supply companies, (unfortunately where I live in Sarasota FL, there is almost no manufacturing to speak of, I come from up north where there was a supply place on every corner (Chicago area).

Keep in mind on my setup, the boat hull itself is part of the structural strength of the trailer. Those 1 inch sq by 10 ft aluminum bars (1/8 wall thickness) have 3/4 sq steel tubing inserted inside for additional strength. I then sealed each end of the 1 inch tubes so water can't get in to rust the steel.
The original design didn't have that V brace re-enforcement supporting the 1 inch sq tubes just ahead of the rear cleavis pins, but after a couple uses, I could see those cleavis pin joints were taking a lot of stress so I had to devise something to help re-enforce them.
The nice thing about the Harbor freight trailer is it's really cheap, but has all the certifications and certification plaques to be able to go to the DMV and register as a utility trailer, so you can avoid the inspection and certification needed on a home built from scratch trailer, as a professional engineer (what I do for a living) a guy like me would be the one who would be needed to certify stuff like this, (this is not my area though so I don't have the transportation certifications that would be necessary, (my area is industrial), that's why I just bought the Harbor Freight trailer, and modified it to do what I needed (it's cheating but a lot cheaper than going to a certified trailer maker). Actually that may not be true, I have a friend in that business (making trailers) who looked at it after I built it and he said he could have done one for me for not much more than what I paid by the time I was done (probably more as a favor though), I think mine ended up costing around $300 by the time I was done. It's been working now for about a year without too many issues, but the steel parts are already starting to rust ( a Florida salt water thing), I will need to replace the steel with aluminum probably in the next year or two.
Actually HF sells small boat trailers (basically all ready to go just add the racks for just a little more, mine was unusual because my boat is 20 ft long (with the bow sprit) so I had to go custom, and mine also doubles as a kayak cart, which I thought I would use all the time, but in reality I don't (a lot of extra work for nothing LOL). As long as you don't back the trailer into the water at all, and make sure you rinse everything off really well after going near any salt water, it should last for a few years anyway. The way I figure it I will just replace the steel stuff as needed with aluminum as it rots away. The rusting problem is mostly a Florida thing living near the salt water and the high humidity all year round ( I only go in salt water (Canadians are scared of gators ( LOL)), if you lived and used further north in mostly fresh water it would probably last for years.
Here is the Harbor freight page showing the trailers ( http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... q=trailers ). Since you are mounting Outbacks (vs TI) instead of the absolute cheapest (like I bought), you might look at a little better model almost ready to go for around $300 bucks.
I found their trailers (that come in a box) pretty east to assemble and build, I clear coated everything once finished in the hope it would make it last a little longer, and replaced some of the structural screws with stainless nuts and screws.
I just store the whole works (boat on the trailer) in my garage so I'm ready to go out any time, it works well for me. (this means you would need good support for the hulls so they don't collapse during storage). I found that sliding the kayak on PVC tubing mounted lengthways on 11 inch centers seems to be the best way to store the boat on the trailer (like Kayakman7's setup), I think he used 1.5" PVC, I just copied his idea . We both have TI's, but I think the Outback has a similar bottom (two long keel grooves the length of the boat on 11 inch centers). Possibly some with an Outback can jump in here.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob for some ideas, I am glad you didn't think I was to nuts.
I had seen I guy who took an old 3 wheeler motor and rigged it up to transport his stand up jet ski up and down some rough terrain by himself. It was cool, 350 lbs and he just walked behind it with ease, but this was 30 years ago, and cant remember the details.
The Barbie doll idea sounds cool, wonder if they made a Ken doll one, since that's my name. That would definitely turn some heads.
I don't think I have seen the bike motor, but will look around.
My neighbor has a scrap yard with acres of everything you can imagine, so I might wander around

Thanks again for any ideas
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I knew someone had made one, It just took a while to find.
This seems like it would work great. Now I jut have to figure it out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgmaNvd699g
Electric cart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bob,

Thank you very much! I have a better understanding of the construction now and hope to apply it on my project. I do kayak in the sweet water of more northerly climes so the issue of salt is non existent. Best to you and thanks again.

Jim