Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey guys,
I'm mulling over the idea of making custom covers for my Hobie 16. It will be a 3-piece set that includes one cover for each hull and a trampoline cover. I'm looking at using one of the nice waterproof and UV resistant fabrics to build it.

If anyone else is interested, I'll make a few extra sets while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, rudder covers and comptip covers are in the works

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We just had some made. They were one piece and made out of some material we purchased from our local ez up factory. We got an entire roll of this blue ez up fabric for only like $50. Check and see if you have a local factory because they have ez up blow out sails every year and they have multiple colors of fabric for cheep!!!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice! I'll have to look for an EZ Up factory near Indianapolis.

What made you want a one piece cover? It appears to me that a three-piece cover would be easier to make and easier to install every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am also considering making a cover. My boat spends a great deal of the summer mast up. I want a quick one piece setup. I was considering billboard vinyl.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on prices and ease of taking it on and off I may be interested! Sick of dealing with silver tarps all summer.
Also would be interested in some rudder covers for my new EPO2's. Must be trailer-able...and cheaper than Murrays/Hobie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was thinking that a 3 piece system would be easier to install than a 1 piece. The 1 piece looks difficult to get turned around to the correct orientation. Also, a 3 piece would allow you to just put the tramp cover on or just the hull covers. It may be more trailerable as well. Can anyone comment on that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We choose one peice because we don't leave our boat out mast up. And we never trailer with it covered. It is strictly for storage. So we wanted the hulls completely covered so they don't get stained around the top were the one peice has to go around the pylons. Water completely runs off the cover and never hits the tramp ropes or pontoons. Ours has zippers on the insides of the front pontoons and the rear. So we slide it over the nose and over the tramp. Then zip it all up. Sometimes It is hard to unravel the cover and put it on the correct way.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Trailerable covers are a disaster.

Unless you have some sort of stretch fabric (I've seen some on F-18s), they flutter - wearing holes in the cover and taking the gloss off the fiberglass.

They get filthy dirty from road grime - which acts like abrasive in the cover. It's a lot easier to just wash the boat when you get to your destination.

I've had trailerable covers for both my 16s and 17s - and sold them with the boats. Never again.

Masts, on the other hand, are different. Mast covers can be easily bungied to keep from fluttering, and they keep the rigging clean, which keeps your sails clean.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with the above

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
Trailerable covers are a disaster.

Unless you have some sort of stretch fabric (I've seen some on F-18s), they flutter - wearing holes in the cover and taking the gloss off the fiberglass.

They get filthy dirty from road grime - which acts like abrasive in the cover. It's a lot easier to just wash the boat when you get to your destination.

I've had trailerable covers for both my 16s and 17s - and sold them with the boats. Never again.

Masts, on the other hand, are different. Mast covers can be easily bungied to keep from fluttering, and they keep the rigging clean, which keeps your sails clean.

Truth!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So far I have a tramp cover. I haven't put it on yet cause the tramp isn't even on the boat and its not worth taking the tarps off just to put the tramp cover on. I got the cover from Rooke sails and I think I could have personally made it cheaper BUT it wouldn't be any where near as well made as what Rooke put out who has already designed and probably made revisions to the cover over the years.

Me and my dad have both talked about making a custom cover for our new boat but after hearing how Rooke designed theirs I seriously don't think I could do it as nice and as fitted as they describe theirs.
I'm not trying to talk up Rooke. I'm saying that if you got the time and knowledge and skill on making a cover then that's the best way to do it.

Rooke did do a good job at selling the hull covers to me. I haven't bought any yet though. But it sounded like he had figured everything out. All the fabric is cut some fancy way. The hulls covers zip up and all the zippers are hidden under the lip of the hull. Sunbrella and Gore Tex thread. Stuff I wouldn't have thought of if I was designing it myself.

Also my dad can't seem to finish projects so buying one would work best for me.

To me a nice cover would work best if you make it in three pieces. I plan on having hull covers and my tramp cover then put a tarp over that when its stored in my back yard. I would rather a $20 tarp fade and get dirty than a $450 set of covers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would love a set of covers, but I couldn't find any! just something to cover the hulls and tramp to keep laze beach goers off my boat (as well as give some UV protection)!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rab1515 wrote:
I would love a set of covers, but I couldn't find any! just something to cover the hulls and tramp to keep laze beach goers off my boat (as well as give some UV protection)!

Sailor's Tailor makes nice custom covers but they are pricey. I thought about them this winter but they were just too much for me to spend on my old boat. Just went with a giant tarp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Rab1515 wrote:

http://www.rookesails.com/rookcvr.htm

When I talked to Chris Rooke I asked if they did a discount when ordering multiple orders. I believe they did and it worked out like if you ordered 2 you got 2% off. 3 got you 3% off. All the way up to a max of 7%. But I would call Rooke and confirm before anyone assumes that