Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Copying and tweaking is what we do best John.

I used Stringy's 'Bluescrews' while we were in Fame Cove the other week. Very impressed so I got a couple the other day. I don't know if you experience high tidal changes where you are, but on that weekend there was a 2m ( 6ft ) tide. These Bluescrews won't pull out of the sand once they are in so if, at low tide, we had positioned one with a tight line at the bow, and the same at the stern, it would be interesting to see if the AI would get pulled under when the tide rose. Spose the moral is to keep a close eye on the tides and calculate the necessary slack required in your anchor ropes if the tide rises.

The Resort

The Hilton

The Penthouse

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The water level only drops here when they open the gates to let water out or it evaporates like it did last week. :) :lol:

Stringy, another question. How did you rig up the bungies in the tube joiners? The canopy and fittings are on their way from Biasboating :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,
You don't muck around. I hope you get enough use out of it. I don't think I would have bothered if all I wanted was was shade on day trips.
I don't have pics but I used a loop of bungee. On one end it went through a S/S washer that fitted inside the bimini tube but was too big to go through the tube joiner. The other end was attached to a small S/S bolt that went through the bimini tube. I attached the loop over the bolt first and then through the tube joiner and washer, finished with a knot. The joiner was then pushed into the tube, which tensioned the bungee and rivetted in position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks stringy. No use mucking about. If I want to get the wife out on the water more, then I need to make sure she is comfy. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After a shipping delay from Biasboating :roll: my gear finally arrived and I finished putting it together this afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work there John! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pardon my ignorance but is there a front and a back to bimini's ? Looking at the photos, someones looks back to front but I don't know which ? Or is it all in the strap adjustments ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think it matters which way it goes and yep the straps can adjust if the canopy leans forward, rearward or level.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My bimini is marked with a "front" label, but like John I don't think it matters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

10th Overnighter
I was able to get away recently for another overnighter spent sleeping on board. For this trip I wanted to explore the upper reach of Jerusalem Bay, a part of Cowan Creek. We had previously lunched down there a while ago on a trip with Chris, Russ, CGM and Davew. I wanted to reach the freshwater section which would only be do-able at high tide. Here it is on Google Earth:

With a high tide at about 1930hrs it was ideal to make it an overnighter.
I left Patonga at 1700hrs. With a 20-30knot North Easter pushing it wouldn't take long to get there. With these overnight trips I've discovered that it's best if you can get in just before the high tide, moor, cook, sleep and next morning the tide will be high again so you can get out easily. This has opened up our local waterways for easy exploring as all that's needed is a sandy creek bed for when the tide drops. Using Google Earth has highlighted a number of suitable areas I want to explore on future trips.
My track:

Some video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXGpPxD5mOo[/youtube]

Last edited by stringy on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great trip and excellent video Mark. Now I see why it draws you back time and again, beautiful spot. Loved your unique camera angles.

That 'Hilton' of yours is certainly a work of art.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I admire your part of the world. There is so much elevation to look at. The south east coast of the US is very flat. Good setup to sleep on board. With all the gear I noticed you had a bath tub in the boat. This is the main reason why I started to glue layers of foam into the boat. Some of my low points are 1-2" higher now and remain dry when fully loaded...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent trip report, Stringy. You are doing it right. I take it those Navionics shots are with your Galaxy Tab 3. I did get an I-Blason screen protector for mine--not sure if it improves readability in sunlight.

Dogs is right, we are pretty flat on our eastern coastline, and S Florida is perfectly flat. I don't mind too much because I spend about 4+ months a year in the Rockies at around 9000' (3000 meters).

Looking forward to more of your trips.

Keith

PS In your video, I did see some flat rocks on which you could pitch a tent. With your luxury yacht, you don't need to set up on land, but I would.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautifully done Stringy, as usual. Can you give me a call next time you are planning an overnighter. I'd love to join you.

@Keith - The whole area where Stringy was camping is part of a large national park and camping on land is not permitted, except in one designated area. Larger boats are also only allowed to moor in limited areas, but due to a wonderful loophole, you can moor a kayak wherever you like and sleep on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just adding to Chris's comments Keith, Stringy is also a bit of rebel as well. He's a legend around these parts with pictures of him on 'REWARD' posters nailed to trees.

....and that's the reason for the mask.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next