Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comptip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 84 H16 with all aluminum mast which i step each time I sail. Is a comptip lighter? and was this the reason for the change or was it more for safety due to electrocution. Can a comptip be used on an older boat?
thanks Hal

Post subject: Re: Comptip
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my '85 H-16 new and it came with the all aluminum mast. The comptip was introduced at the end of 85 and I was offered a free retrofit. I didn't take it. The purpose of the comptip is to prevent electrocution from overhead wires such as in parking lots, etc. The offer from Hobie mentioned that the retrofit would actually reduce the "cone of protection" from lightning.

I helped raise a comptip mast once and thought it was quite a bit heavier than the aluminum mast. I am sure someone knows the exact weights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We just retrofitted our older mast to a comp tip for racing and it is a lot heavier. If you want to do it for weight stick with the aluminum. If you are trying to race and they won't let you race in your local races with the aluminum mast then you could try to borrow one from another fleet member just for the race or cut and modify yours.
If you want to retrofit it I have a contact for a new style comp tip for $200 plus shipping. She is very slow to respond but she will get back to ya sometime. Might be a month and a half tho. LOL.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The purpose of the comptip is 100% to prevent death/injury from electrocution resulting from a mast's contact with overhead power lines. This was in response to numerous lawsuits against Hobie Cat from deaths that occurred. There is no other reason for it and there have been countless debates over the past ~30 years about performance impacts of the comptip. Weight is likely slightly heavier with the comptip, but not a big difference. If you don't race, it's very unlikely that you'll notice a performance difference between either mast. If you do race, you're required to have one so it doesn't matter since everyone's on equal equipment.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Find a fleet and attend a regatta...

You get one official exemption to the comptip rule.. Usually one exemption is all it will take.. You will meet some great people, have a good time, and learn more about the boat in one weekend than you might have learned all summer.. Once hooked then you might have to cut up a perfectly good mast and install a comptip to meet class rules...

stupid comptips..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do have a direct contact for the comp tips for hobie 16 she is asking $200 +shipping. They are then newer style. I believe she has 4-5 left. She also has a 17 comp tip. Let me know!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a unique scenario where my mast had a hard "ding" in just above the tang. The impact put a 2" bend from the tang to the top of the mast. In light air, the mast would favor one side as the shortest distance from the top to the bottom when under tension (down haul) was flexing towards the bend direction. I installed a comp-tip for the only reason of creating a true mast once again. It worked out great! The mast rotates smoothly, is non-biased towards direction, and I guess is safe for sanctioned racing...not that I do race...it's a 1977 in a corner pocket of Montana.

So I guess there are the scenarios where the comp-tip can breathe new life into an otherwise bend spar.

PS: measure twice, cut once...in fact measure several times.
bones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Elkyjason,
Do you still have any of the comptips available? Does that also include the mast head? Halyard? etc?

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

bones wrote:
PS: measure twice, cut once...in fact measure several times.

Yep... ask my buddy Todd. :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So the lady I purchased my comp tip from still has I believe 2 h16 and 1 h17 comp tip. Brand new in the package. Includes tip mast head. NO Halyard tho. They are $200+shipping.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever