Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had a great time at the Outback Cup this weekend. Have much too learn about sailing this modified fast. The boat is comparable to the F18s in speed. It doesn't point as well and I am still poor with the spinnaker. I would like to point out that it is substantially faster than a stock 18. Obviously downwind, but to my great pleasure faster upwind as well. We were constantly tangled in sheet lines, had many troubles with the jib, were late on every start. Had a great time. At times we were doing great and then would make a rookie mistake and lose everything we had gained. Am now thinking about a self tacking jib, we'll see. If you sail an 18 and want more speed consider a used Tiger main. Maybe if Hobie sees the 18 compete with the F18s successfully they will consider manufacturing them with these improvements. The 18 is still the best high speed beach boat as it has no sandwich glass on the bottoms. No clam shell design can compare to the 18s durability or repairability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great feedback. I would like to know more about your Modifications, especially the Tiger Main. Are you running the tall mast or the standard. I have a spinnaker already for mine and that is fun but I need a new set of sails (jib & main) and to "finish the bottoms". I love the wings for crusing but I take them off when racing. (I just need to figure out how to cover up the wing strut tabs).

I agree, they are tanks, yet fast when they are souped up. I love sailing mine in 15 - 20+ winds.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

29'6 SX mast on it. Found that not rotating the mast gives me more power in the squaretop. Learning to sail by the leech tells is quite a challenge. What spin are you using? I have a skip elliott cut for a Tiger, its a pretty flat spin. Also running 8-1 downhaul, diamonds at 500lbs. Replaced the crappy Seaway jib blocks this week. Am now remeasuring sheet lines so I can cut off as much as possible to clean up the deck a little. There is one more race this season in my area, undecided at this point. Hope there will be some pictures of my boat when they update the Outback Cup site, I keep forgetting to take some when its rigged or sailing. Reads Hobie 18 on the hulls, used the Hobie surfboard logo as I like it better. Took the Tiger lettering off the main and changed it to read Hobie 18 as well. The smoke main and white jib look so good with the black, white and grey spin. Entire boat is black, white and grey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am going to work on new wing mount tabs this winter. I would like to make them so when the wings are removed you don't have the sharp metal tabs sticking up. I am thinking of a rounded block idea. I'll let you all know when (and if) I finish these.

There will still be bumps that stick up, but at least they will be rounded. It will also require using longer ball lock pins to attach the wings. I think it will be well worth it to keep the seat of my bathing suit rip free.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nick, I just remove them and reinstall after the race. To me the hard part is fishing the piece in the track back from the crossbar ends. There is only 1 bolt that holds each of them on. It also prompts you to check the tightness on a regular basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My spinnaker is a Elvstrom/Stobstead run from a 12'6" end pole snuffer. Red & white color. It's cut a little fuller but I am still working on the block placement for the correct shape.
Wing struts, I was thinking about making covers. If I get something that works I'll take pictures. The studs sticking out of the track don't seem to be a problem with me. As my boat sits on a beach for a week at a time I use bolts instead of quick pins.

PS: I'm thinking of selling the 18 , two paddleboats and two small sailboats & canoe to go in with two other guys on a 26' monohull :oops: that they race & manufacture locally. Need to work out the details yet, including a stupidy clause. I tried living without a Hobie and it was one of the worst years of my life, the other being the big D.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DVL

If you ever lose it, and seriously think of selling your H18, please contact me offline at lunnjohn at magma dot ca. If not for me, then for other members of our club.

Monohulls are fun, we often join friends on a Kirby 25 and a former H14 sailor on his Tanzer 25, but we will not part with our H18 until we can get a better/newer one.

Only 5 knots today, so not worth putting on a full wet suit, we'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving.