Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't want to make too much out of it, but I again I think the decision is really about money. Or more accurately what you are willing to invest in the boat. The AI and TI are so amazingly flexible with their range, sails, modularity, possibility for tramps, cargo capacity etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you from any mirage drive based Hobie, I think you'll be very pleased with any of the options. I'm just trying to get you to at least consider the AI, TI.

The reason is very simple. I bought my TI. Without ever actually seeing one in person. I read reviews and saw videos on YouTube. I found this forum and everybody was so glowing about the boat (and about Hobie), that I took a chance. It was a lot of money to spend having never actually rode in one. The money I spent on the TI was some of the best money I've ever spent. The boat is flat out amazing. The mirage drive WITH the sail is incredible. Really really incredible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a new Hobie owner myself. I looked at the AI but didn't really care for the sail or the width with the outriggers. It's the most expensive yak out there that I know of also. I know a lot of people love them, and one day I might add one if I can afford it. To me, the outriggers will get in the way and I was tired of the lower seats with little adjustability. I ended up with a brand new 2013 PA 12 instead. I went with the 12 because it still has a huge weight capacity and the Vantage seat (my favorite feature) and is short enough that I can put it in the bed of my truck without needing a bed extender. I had rented a PA 14 and found that not only was it heavier, but it was harder to load and required the extender. In the end, it's all about what will make your time on the water more enjoyable. Try several before you buy and be happy with your decision. Don't do like I did and buy and rig a complete yak then have buyers remorse. I lost a ton of money changing to what I really wanted. RIP Trident 15, hello PA 12.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You bought a great boat, but allow me a moment to allay some of your fears about aspects of the Adventure Island.

The Amas (outriggers) really don't get in the way. At least not to any appreciable degree. They can also be folded in against the main hull if you need to do so in order to land a fish, etc. And even in that position they provide quite a bit of additional stability.

Because the sail can be furled it also fails to be obtrusive. And when you need it, there's not much you can do to the PA to get that kind of additional speed. I consider it my secret weapon insofar as fishing goes. The range and speed (assuming you do have at least some wind) advantage are tremendous.

Ir there are downsides to the AI versus the PA it would more along the lines of the much smaller cockpit and greater weight. For certain applications this would certainly knock it out of consideration for many people.

Either way, you aren't going to go wrong with any Hobie MIrage Drive Kayak. It's just a matter of choosing the one that ticks the most boxes in your list of criteria.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the input. I do alot of fishing from my kayak-both fresh water for bass and snakeheads. I also do alot of saltwater flats/inshore fishing for redfish, trout, snapper, snook, etc.