Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glad to keep pro angler.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a pro angler when they first came out and was chuffed to bits with it. The reality set in after a year or so that rooftopping it was a nuisance. I have a vw T5. i looked and bought all the options to get it on the roof easier but still had a problem with it. I decided to sell it and buy a Evolve for my outback that i hardly used and reasoned that the lighter yak was the way to go. I sold my outfitter 2 seater on ebay no bother and my inflatable i12 hobie that i took to spain. (was a yak junkie) then bit the bullet and put the pro angler on. I had 1 offer of £1300 which i refused anyway meantime a ultralight 402 came up brand new with the updated battery. it was a shop here in the uk that had bought the motor but nobody wanted it so i bid him in the balls and he accepted.
went through all the nonsense of how i could convert it to a evolve but that was difficult to say the least. So i had the outback and PA left with the PA for sale. i used the outback for a fishing trip which i enjoyed but slowly remembered the lack of room available on the yak for all the sexy accessories. Then there is the issue of attaching the sexy accessories and detaching them to car top it.

I started looking at the hobie trailer and other versions here on the PA forum and realised that with a light trailer and the PA secured on you are as close as you can get to a deciding you wanna go fishing and being in the water in 30 minutes . you can leave all your sexy accessories on the PA at all times, pull up the slipway, attach the cart, park the van and be straight in. plus you have loads more room when you're out on the water. When its home time she slides on the trailer with ease fully loaded and i'm away insted of the half hour de briefing session with the yak. you can even carry a fresh water drum and swill it down there. at home i unclip it and put her back in garage in a minute.

As for the motor i finally got it working great with steering and with the saved money from the cheap price i got a 1020 torqeedo battery so i can cover more range at top speed.

I love it i been fishing 3 times in 2 weeks and am busting to go again when the misses issues the next "pink" pass.

Now what do i do with the outback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Glad to see that you're keeping the PA.
I bought a PA12 Olive in Feb. 2013, and hassled with putting it back and forth into the back of my pickup for one year. I just bought a trailer for mine, and you're right. Launch it like my power boat, and don't have to take everything out to launch or retrieve it. Only move a few things - seat, mirage drive and cooler - to the pickup when trailering to and from the water. Had to wait the year for the wife to give approval for a trailer. We already had three trailers in the yard - two power boat trailers and a camper.
Tight lines.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

Last edited by pjs on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hmm, keep going and you will talk me into getting a trailer! I'm so close to buying one but just got a dry suit so...likelihood of approval remains low for a month or two. But soon..soon...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use both a trailer, SportsRig micro trailer and my small pick-up with bed extender.

I find that the trailer (Hobie cradles & Malone deluxe J-racks) is nice for getting both the PA12 & Revo 11 to the water, but the PA12 in the bed of my truck is by far the easiest and simplest way to go...when it's just me.

My Ford Sport Trac has a 4-1/2' bed and I use a modified Harbor Freight (plan to replace with the Boonedox T-Bone soon). When fishing tournaments or dealing with launches that lack trailer space, the truck bed carry shines....undo two straps, slide the scupper cart in & I'm off the truck...add my YakAttack BlackPac, rods and it's off to waters edge....easy-peasy! :D

With my last PA12 (not rigged for fishing, dropping off at seminar)...

Trailer definitely has it's advantages....SportsRig wasn't ready for trip to the Keys, soooooooo-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Two PA 14s
Have a tandem Trailex - works great. One loaded with gear in the back of a F 150 4x4 with extender will hurt your back, I have personal experience. So I am going to put together a sled and winch for that approach.

Meanwhile I only use the trailer even when going solo. The Trailex with Hobie cradles is low and easy peezy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before!"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've tried it all... even the bed extender.... this is the ONLY way to go....

I have seen so many people buy the PA's and then sell them shortly afterwards.... it just wears them out loading and unloading...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 with redsinthehead.
Although I have a Harbor Freight, and not the single jet ski trailer like he does (couldn't find one that was worth the money they wanted for one used - new was totally out of the question, money wise) I only need to figure out how I want to mount a winch for the occasional steep ramps. Right now I'm using a snatch block to load in that situation. But at 5'4" and 67 yrs with bad hips and knees, a trailer is the only way for me. My GMC 4x4 is too tall to lift the front end of the yak and put it on the tailgate by myself confortably without having to first unload the yak. My trailer is a 4'x8', and I have decked it with plywood, and installed PVC pipes to load the yak on. I can walk out to the end of the trailer and grab the front of the yak, pull it onto the pipes from above, and then slide it on. How did some put it: easy-peasy? I use the mirage drive quite often, even with my bad knees - just take it easy. But I also have a troll motor mounted on the rear for windy and bad current days. I use the deep cycle battery from my power boat for juice. With all that extra weight, putting the yak in the back of a pickup also means loading the truck with the gear, loading and unloading the yak when launching, and doing the reverse when retrieving to go home. I think you get the picture. If ever I can figure out how to post pictures on this forum I'll post same.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

Last edited by pjs on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LOL... 60 with bad back and knees!!! I was able to pick up the wave runner trailer (used) for about $200. I've seen several more around for less than that. I have a second trailer set up for carrying three (with lockable storage) but if I can't go straight from water to trailer then I have to be able to get the Hobie dollies underneath them... which means either lifting the yak or tilting it sideways to get the upright on the wheels and the scupper holes to line up... which usually means unloading or dumping gear. Can't drag them around here... concrete ramps, shell rakes... so for me, fishing alone a lot....this is the easiest way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lt.FireDog wrote:
I use both a trailer, SportsRig micro trailer and my small pick-up with bed extender.

I find that the trailer (Hobie cradles & Malone deluxe J-racks) is nice for getting both the PA12 & Revo 11 to the water, but the PA12 in the bed of my truck is by far the easiest and simplest way to go...when it's just me.

My Ford Sport Trac has a 4-1/2' bed and I use a modified Harbor Freight (plan to replace with the Boonedox T-Bone soon). When fishing tournaments or dealing with launches that lack trailer space, the truck bed carry shines....undo two straps, slide the scupper cart in & I'm off the truck...add my YakAttack BlackPac, rods and it's off to waters edge....easy-peasy! :D

With my last PA12 (not rigged for fishing, dropping off at seminar)...

Trailer definitely has it's advantages....SportsRig wasn't ready for trip to the Keys, soooooooo-

LT

Hows the trailer on the road? speed? handling?

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure I'd pull it on the interstate at 70, but normal driving...... I don't even know it's back there. What always p's me off is for some reason, it always takes me more time to unload, gear up and get going... (old, slow and very attention to detail- OCD) other guys out there catching fish, I'm just getting the keel wet.... This is def best of both worlds, loaded with my gear and ready to go, slide it in, drive the truck to a parking spot, jump in yak, drop my drive in the slot and go.... same coming out... NO heavy lifting, wrestling with it.

I have known several PA owners, .... all initially excited about the boat, but eventually the loading and unloading wore down their enthusiasm and they ended up selling them..... I drove a few PA's belonging to friends and after helping load and unload them a couple of times... convinced myself I didn't want NONE of that. I fell into a deal I could not turn down and bought a 2012 PA 14 (hardly ever used) with the intention of trying it out on a waverunner trailer I had.... OMG, can't imagine any other way to go... BTW, as I've posted ad nauseum, I also own an Outback and a Revo.... when I choose to go, the PA is always my first choice. I can also easily load / unload from dry land on and off the trailer... very low profile with 12" tires.

I also have a larger trailer (with lockable storage) that can handle three yaks, plus add a fourth to my truck roof rack if I'm going any distance. It has regular car size tires.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've replied to this several times... never goes thru? Handling on road at normal speeds 55-60 is great - don't know it's there...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OL Sarge wrote:

LT
Hows the trailer on the road? speed? handling?

redsinthehead wrote:
I've replied to this several times... never goes thru? Handling on road at normal speeds 55-60 is great - don't know it's there...

I think Sarge was asking me about the SportsRig MicroTrailer......

Sorry for slow reply.....with the PA12 & Revo 11; I-95 or Turnpike 70-80 with no problems.
I've also used a friends Yakima Rack & Roll with 2-kayaks, 2-bikes and yakima gear carrier (20lbs over max capacity) at 70-80 mph with no problems (3-hour trip).
Length of tongue combined with motorcycle tires & suspension result in smooth ride with perfect tracking.

No pictures of my trailer, but here's a stock photo....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks LT might be in my future plans when I get a Wrangler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida