Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Once again the lack of attention by a local dealer rears its ugly head - :lol:

Have a complete invoice from the dealer for a TI with all the accessories and on the list is a set of tramps.
Line item part #79527011 "Tramp set AI Grey" .... $319.00

For the life of me I can't understand why sell an AI tramp set when clearly what was needed was a TI set part number #88527011 :o , Everything was purchased at the same time.

I compared the wrong TI tramp to my AI tramp and they both appear to be 56". Nothing I will do will tighten up the wrong tramp to fit properly, clearly the TI tramp needs to be about 1-2 inches shorter. If not what is correct size?

Everything is out of warranty. Between a brace size error and the wrong tramp I can see why the original owners wanted to get rid of the boat. Shortened brace size (from 23" to 22")with hacksaw so good to go there.

Any clever fixes for the tramp travesty? :D

It's a long shot... but ... Any chance Hobie wants to swap out the wrong tramp for the right one? I have the original dealer invoice for Jax dealer.

Please advise

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not really. TI tramps will fit an AI with longer straps, but vice versa won't work.

The AI was built first so those tramps were already non workable on the later TI with its closer aka span.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used AI tramps on my TI for quite a while before I eventually forked out for the correct tramps.
After trying a couple of options what worked best was pool noodle in the forward tramp pocket:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26107&p=133927
Square section pool noodle ended up being the best fit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Tom & Stringy. I thought about using a 1" PVC pipe shim but the pool noodle sounds better.
Sounds simpler than sewing.

All this jury rigging to make the wrong tramp work when all the dealer needed to do is sell the right tramp along with the TI just bugs me to no end :evil: The original owner dropped almost 8 grand on a complete TI package only to be hobbled with the wrong tramps. I'm sure the average customer not knowing any better probable would not know the tramps are supposed to fit so poorly.

Mind you I got a good deal on the used boat but that kind of mismatching by a Hobie dealer doesn't make my job easy.
The gray tramps look nearly new as I suspect the original owner never bothered to use then much.

Best long term solution is to break down and buy the correct tramps and see if I can flog these AI tramps on Craigs list or maybe to one of my many AI friends none of whom have tramps yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tramps sell quickly, assuming a fair price, on this Hobie forum classified.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakaholic,

If you're interested I'd consider selling you mine. They're 3 years old and in excellent conditions. I've used them about 6 times, and kept them stored inside. I switched to Haka benches which are better suited to my purposes so I have little use for them now. Send me a private message and we can talk price.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Email [email protected] to arrange a trade assuming brand new and clean.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Email [email protected] to arrange a trade assuming brand new and clean.

An extremely generous & appreciated offer to retroactively fix a problem created so long ago. Unfortunately, there is no way my tramps can be considered new. They are in great shape but there is some salt patina on the metal eyelets and the customer scribbled a 1 inch "L" and a "R" on the bottoms of each :roll: . I would never wish anyone to end up with these thinking they were new. I would also not expect to get a new pair in exchange for my used pair at least not without some compensation for Hobie.

I think the "long shot" involved more of swapping a good used or "demo" TI tramp of any color for the used AI tramp; that or some kind of discount on a new and proper TI tramp.

In any event working on getting a used TI tramp and selling the AI tramp.

Let no one ever say Hobie doesn't do it's best to make customers happy and stand behind their products and dealers. :D

Once I fix the rivets on the TI akas it will be in great shape.

Have sailed the AI since late 2006 and now sailing the TI, especially solo, has breathed a whole new level of excitement into sailing.