Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a hobie 14 Turbo last summer. We have really had fun with the boat and this winter I am doing some fixing and up grading on the trailer and boat. I am installing a new mast ball and mast base with the ball and pin in it as my boat currently has the mast just resting in the mast base with no ball and pin connection. I was told that this was changed about 1981 so I was wondering at the age of my boat. There is a number that matches on each of the hulls. ccmc3915m84h. I was wondering if there is any way to find out the year it was made.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That would appear to be an 84. There are sites that tell exactly. My 83 H14T has a hull # CCMC1646m83L. The connection you are speaking of is the mast stepper. It is only used when stepping the mast into the base. Then the pin is taken out so the mast will rotate.

Welcome

Buckaroo

H14
H14T
H16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here ya go Mogart!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155

This will tell all you need to know.

What is your location?

A lot of ? can be answered in the FAQ.

Happy Sailing!!!

Buckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Buckaroo. I am real new to sailing and maybe 62 is not the age to start. when you say the pin is used to step the mast. I have no pin for for my for my mast holder. should I be using one? and if so will this help with step up as right now it takes 3 people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you tell people where you live, we might be able to find someone in the area who can help you. Also, your local Hobie dealer can be a big help. There's a lot to these boats, even more then you'd think at first glance, and it really helps to find someone to walk you through it the first time. There's just a limit to how much you can pick up over the internet or from books.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim,
I think that your idea of talking to a dealer is a good one. I buffed out the hulls today and looked everything over and I do know I need some help with some kind of step up kit. I am going to stop at Hi-Tempo in the twin cities tomorrow and just get more information. I am in New Ulm, Mn. which is a small town in south central Minnesota. Hi-Tempo is the closest dealer I can find and I have talked to them before but not since I bought the boat. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie Fleet 444 is in Minnesota. Here's their website -- http://www.fleet444.com/

I'd contact them and see if there's someone who is willing to help you get going. A lot of people involved in Hobie are more then willing to help new sailors out.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mogart;

Watch this old video of a H16 mast raising. Works the same for a H14. One person can do it with some experience, but two is easier. Then get someone to help you. The hinge is on the mast base and a pin or phillips screwdriver goes in to hinge the mast up. Then you remove it so the mast will rotate. 62 is not too old. I am 65 and solo the H14T or H16.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12697

Buckaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pix would really help us help you. Your speaking of a mast ball sounds like a H-17 or 18 style step/base, so you really need to define the problem before you dive in to a lot of unnecessary work. I would have thought an 83/84 boat would have the step and base with holes ready to accept the stepping hinge. Perhaps a PO put on improper parts or something is broken? If it's just an older style 14 base and step, they can be drilled to accept the hinge according to this:

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/21380001.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

On a boat this old, it's possible that newer hull(s) were used to replace the originals. I know of more than a few old Hobies like that! My '82 appears to have had the step link retrofitted. Old 16's also weren't originally built with the step link.
To step the mast originally on a 14, you put the mast base on the ground, leaned the mast against the front cross bar and with a loose rig, basically lifted it into place. I could do it as a teen- still can in my 50's and I'm not a big guy. Giving away my age there! Properly installed, the step link makes it way easier!

There are a few threads on the forums regarding solo mast stepping with lots of good procedures. I solo step and sail both of my boats. The wife is getting too old to keep up with me :D !

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

buckaroosail wrote:
Mogart;

Watch this old video of a H16 mast raising. Works the same for a H14. One person can do it with some experience, but two is easier. Then get someone to help you. The hinge is on the mast base and a pin or phillips screwdriver goes in to hinge the mast up. Then you remove it so the mast will rotate. 62 is not too old. I am 65 and solo the H14T or H16.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12697

Buckaroo

This video is good, and the technique at 5:15 is critical to raising the mast by yourself. After a month of raising the mast with help, you should gain the strength and agility to do it solo. Bouncing the mast to get it on your shoulder is key - from there it's easier.

Unlike in the video, I use a line made up at one end to the jib/forestay on a second shackle especially for this purpose, run it around the trailer frame and back to the trampoline where it can rest until the mast is up. The line needs to be within reach when holding the mast up with your other hand/shoulder. It is then tied to the cleat at the mast base to secure the mast while I attach the jib/forestay to the bridles. The jib traveler mechanism described in the video doesn't exist on a 14 Turbo, although you might be able to replicate the technique with one of the jib adjuster lines.

Hope this helps,