Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

I found this Getaway for sale (see link below). The seller indicated that the mast is damaged. How much would it cost to repair a boat with these issues? Is this worth the effort / cost effective to replace the mast on a 2006 model like this for $2200.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/4314608143.html

Thanks,

Fleet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a link to a site with parts and prices. It seems like a great deal to me for a boat that looks to be in good shape with wings and a trailer. I'd ask about sail condition and standing rigging. Might want to replace the shrouds just to be sure (but I had a mast come down on me on a used boat that supposedly had new shrouds, so maybe that's just me.)

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Hobie-Get ... s_c389.htm

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, dorienc. I'll have to see what's really broken on this thing and then compare against the prices you provided.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, I got some more information about the Getaway…
-sails are in excellent shape
-tramps ok
-trailer in good condition with new rollers

Here are the problems:
-missing mast float kit ($150)
-track/slots where sail attaches to the mast is broken off at the bottom ($unknown)
-plastic guide on top of the mast is broken (I'm not sure what this is)

Still sound like a good deal at $2200?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like a good deal to me. I couldn't find a used Getaway for under 5000 when I was looking and they were all being snatched up by other buyers. I would go for it, if the mast is really that bad you could always buy a used or new mast as a replacement. Is there a way you could go look at it first?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like you need the comp tip. Can you take some photos of it, and take the photos to a Hobie dealer to find out what exactly you need?
The Bob is no big deal, I don't always sail with mine on, and it only takes a minute to put it on or off.
It sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I bought a new one, because I couldn't find a good used one. Then of course, the options ran it up...a lot. :shock: But I have no regrets, I love this boat!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to see it this week. Seems like a good deal. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone know when Hobie added the EZ LOC rudder system to the Getaways?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well... Sadly, the Getaway was a no go. Definitely needed A LOT of work. Hulls had gashes in them, but no holes. Seemed to be cosmetic, but looked pretty worn. The mast was a mess. The track the main is fed into was badly damaged and unusable, comptip luff track gone, tang bent, etc. The jib was missing as well as some of the forestay hardware. Blocks missing for the main. Wings damaged, but still functional. Missing one shroud. Rudders slightly damaged, but functional. The list goes on. It looked like someone had a car accident with this thing. Seller tried to tell me the thing was worth $10k in parts alone - keep dreaming...

I think I'd need no less than $2500-$3K worth of parts plus the $2500 the seller wanted for the boat. Not to mention, the seller didn't have a title for the trailer which can be a huge issue in the state of Maryland. Lights looked to be 50% functional, if that, and it needed new tires and probably new wheels. I was really bummed out. Seemed like a great deal.

My rule of thumb for used cars, boats, etc. is to double the problems you've seen and that's actually what you're dealing with. I think my best bet is to wait for another used boat in the $5k - $6k range that doesn't need reconstruction. Anyway, thanks again to everyone on here for their advice. I'm sure I'll ask for more in the future.

-Fleet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, that's a problem with photos, it's hard to tell what actually is going on. I agree with your assessment of the boat (and of the buyer...10K in parts when a new boat is less than that? Pretzel logic.)
There's a Getaway on eBay, but it's in Florida.