Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the florida keyZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mHK4aVX7JM

Video Report / Inshore Kayak / SW Florida and The KeyZ the first two weeks of 2014:
Several cold fronts backed up together the beginning of january..15-25 Winds, Fishing Z-Man artificial ElaZtech exclusively with excellent results regardless of these cold fronts and rain. Mixed C&R bag: Specs, Snook, Jack Crevalle, Snapper, Flounder, Bluefish, Tarpon, Reds, Ladyfish, Shark, Cuda, ect. Fishing out of Hobie's Revo pitching Topwater/ Sub-surface / ProCure Scented ShrimpZ, Chatterbaits, DieZel MinnowZ, PogyZ, PaddlerZ / New Penny, Pearl Blue Glimmer, Pinfish & Mulletron. Weighted Gamakatsu EWG’s 1/4-1/2 oz & weedless jigs, 1/4 oz-3/8.

Headed south for the Holidays to open my place up for the new year and put Daiwa’s new Lexa 400 to some good use.

After dusting off some Florida gear and gassing up, I purpously left the ol’ cast net back at the lodge along with few other unnecessary items for this session.. Armed only with a couple Chatterbaits and a few packs of ElaZtech, I set off on a artificial assault of Florida’s Keys and inshore mangroves for some plastic action aboard Hobie’s Revo. As mother nature is often cruel at times, we were pounded with one cold front on top of another drastically effecting the inshore action and water temps across the grounds consisting of shallow oysterbars, shoals, mangroves & various back country offshoots. As many of you already know in waters that shallow, winter lockjaw can happen as fast as that next breeze in skinny waters that susceptible to the falling temps..

Mostly pitching Z-Man’s Chatterbaits, I was surprised on one cast to see a large darting ghost figure shoot out of the mangrove shadows to explode on my vibrating offering. From first glance I saw no calligraphied lateral line to suggest a pig snook, possibly a big cuda until I saw him skyrocket my chatterbait straight into the sky with multiple violent headshakes! After a few good runs and a couple dancing aerials this beautiful solid Tarpon shook me loose once again in pure amazement.. Consolation footage at the end has some hungry Tarpon actually trying to inhale my Gopro 3+!?
With most of the airports canceled from all these storms effecting everyone, I knew departure was going to be a nightmare. All connecting flights were canceled when trying to board, and getting back on time to SD was completely out of the question..Running down concourses only to be told the same story in Texas & Arizona..
Z’s were definitely the tackle ticket for this week, although sleep wasn’t going to be an part of this equation..

Forward all my mail..

The calm after 'one' of the stormZ..

Storms, storms, stormZ...

1st Sunrise of 2014 @ Wade Camp..

Osprey taking off..
Southern Buoy
Had to help this lil' guy cross the road before he got run over..

the new 'Pearl Blue Glimmer' was the hot colorway the entire trip..

& of course.....

PS- Also made it in Florida's Siesta Sand.
BIG Thanks out to Economy Tackle / Dolphin Paddle Sports, Al & The whole crew!
Wade Harness
______
http://www.captainwade.com

Last edited by captainwade on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: the florida keyZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome! Looks like fun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pics and video!
I've been curious about that Daiwa lexa but i'm more of a spinner guy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Capt:
I was in Key West in December. No time to fish though.
Great Pics, and great catches. I'm so jealous. Maybe on my next trip I can wet some lines.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

nice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nice job I ve wanting to take a trip down there myself might look into some of those lures

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice! Image

We do Islamorada couple weeks a year, started by doing offshore for years and then switched to backcountry with our last power boat, Everglades 223 bay boat....we're now 100% kayaks and love working the flats, mangroves, docks & bridges of the Lower Matacombie Key.