Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small sail kit on a TI
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if you could use the small sail kits that are used on the Oasis/Outfitter on a TI. I could see some times where I would use the TI without the amas but would like a little pedal assist.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since the TI isn't sold with the small mast tube, you'd have to jury rig something to accept the small mast tube. Surely it could be done and what you'd have would be exactly a "little pedal assist." It'd be interesting to see how the TI manages with the small sail and no amas. Maybe similar to the Oasis.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a trial you could try this:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=14931&p=80727
...and then go on to Roadrunners 'how to' (follow the link) for a more permanent solution.

I've never tried it and I don't think anyone has posted about using the small sail on a TI yet?

I still use the small sail AI adaptor regularly:

Last edited by stringy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1cjk :
We ended up selling all of our other Hobies because we simply didn't ever use them anymore. Both my wife and I whenever we go out just kayaking we prefer the TI (as a kayak without big sails, and ama's) over anything else we ever owned, it's much faster and has a lot more storage, even in small rivers and mangrove tunnels we prefer the TI over our old Oasis, it's actually easier to get on our roof than the Oasis was, it's only a few lbs heavier but because it's longer and has more hand holds it's easier for me to load on top of our Denali by myself.
I can't remember ever taking any of our kayaks out without having a sail strapped to the side of the boat since 2007, just in case we get a chance to sail (even on rivers). Obviously kayak sailing is our favorite thing LOL.
We always had 3 or 4 Hobie kayak sails laying around the garage so when we take the TI out I started out just putting a pool noodle into the mast holder to hold the kayak sail centered at the bottom. All of our kayak sails have the home made PVC tubing mast furlers which just slide into the mast holder. Actually if you make a home made PVC mast furler for your regular kayak, just make it big enough so it will also work in the TI mast holder as well.
Sailing a TI kayak with a standard kayak sail gives you slightly better performance over what we are all used to sailing the Oasis with the Hobie kayak sail (only because the boat is naturally faster), personally I think it's more stable than the Oasis (less prone to tipping over, I suspect because it has a lower center of gravity).
It's a given though that the 22 sq ft Hobie kayak sail is a little smallish on a TI. However don't do like I did (dumbest idea ever), when I made this kayak sail for my TI which is 20 ft tall it never dawned on me that nearly all rivers have trees over them (DAH)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks ya'll. I don't have a the TI yet. Today's my birthday so I was thinking
I may go order it today. Maybe the dealer has a small sail I could barrow. I just wanted
to make sure it would go at least as fast as two people pedaling.