Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

After several brakes during the olde H16 cartwheel I'm considering my options to upgrade this system. I currently have a single line running between each side of the tramp and the lines travel through a grommet on each side or the tramp. The bungee cord just isn't long enough and always brakes.

I understand the illustrated trap return system Hobie advertise but I can't find anything documented in detail and I don't believe its sold here downunder.
So what do others have setup?

Without endless dollars being spent I can either:
- Purchase 4 bullet blocks and mount them (2 each side) and run a much longer bungee cord.
OR
- Purchase 4 micro blocks and attach them again via a horseshoe mount. Again running a much longer bungee cord.

The micro block idea is much cheaper and I'm pretty sure the 6mm bungee cord would have no issues running through them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,

I have replaced my bungee cords 3 or 4 times in the 29 years that I have sailed my boat. I have the old original setup of a single cord from one side to the other but do not run it through a grommet. That grommet would really restrict the movement and may be the reason you break the lines. I found the standard bungee pulls too much and tried a thinner one. That was good but didn't last too long. The next time I replaced it, I used the standard but ordered it longer. It is still pretty stiff but better.

How often do you "cartwheel"? I assume you bury a bow. I have done that with two of us trapped out, both of u swung across the bow on the trap wires, and turned the boat over but the bungees didn't break or get damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a look at this thread
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47328

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt15: The way that the link shows it, (that purduezack provided, and the way HRTSAILOR has his setup) is real simple, inexpensive, and real practical.
I have rigged mine that way (i have duals, on both sides) ever since I bought my boat, in 1990, and I've always kept it that way. It works real well at keeping them where you want them, if you have carpet or neopreme rubber on your side rails, its great, because if you solo a lot, you can move them fore and aft on the side rails. You can position your trapeze wire(s) where they work best to attach them, when you go out on the wire, or you can slide them out of the way, when you don't want to use them . On mine, I leave them longer, and use a taught line knot (tent knot) at each side, so I can put more tension on them as they stretch/wear or so I can have extra line if one breaks, that way, I can fix it on the fly, and stay out sailing.
I never understood the whole gommet in the tramp setup. And the pully setup, I've seen on other members boats, looks: clean and cool. But for some reason, its hard for me to want to add either of those setups, when, what I use for a setup is just real simple, and works great for me, plus its easy to get out of in a pitchpole, because the bungee will slide forward to the front pylon, so you don't over stress it and break it as easy as the other ways.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My boat, (not a H16), for the skippers shock cord it goes from the trapeze on one side, to the dolphin striker, to the rear beam, back up to the dolphin striker, then to the other trapeze.

There's all of 20' of bungee there. I don't think I have broken one yet from over stretching it, and it doesn't pull on you hardly at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a great idea Karl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not want a fixed trap location. In light air I want to be able to move both traps up next to the shrouds and get em out of my face.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
I would not want a fixed trap location. In light air I want to be able to move both traps up next to the shrouds and get em out of my face.

I agree. In light air when there is no chance of using the trap, I often clip both wires to the shroud base. That keeps them out of the way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Howard when one gets thrown as hard as I do in a cartwheel something has to give way. When I say break this is sometimes just the bungee coming away from the sister clip its tied to. No matter how tightly knotted they're done.

Zach that's awesome mate. I couldn't find that thread anywhere but I recall reading about David's setup although different to the conventional ways. I never saw your updated pictures either so good to see. I was just looking for something better but I guess the mini/micro block attached under the tramp is just as good and I see you used the horseshoe piece to fit it to the underside of your tramp. Nice work!

Karl your idea sounds good but I'd like to leave my dolphin striker as free as possible. I also have my righting line and mast/jib lines run here.

Interesting to hear others opinions on the trap lines being fixed outside the tramp. I really like mine being fixed to the grommets in my tramp. In light winds these can easily be unclipped and fixed elsewhere. But more importantly this grommet tramp position enables you to clip on much easier and jump straight out for a reach. You can also stay clipped on without any wear against your side rails.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt15 wrote:
Karl your idea sounds good but I'd like to leave my dolphin striker as free as possible. I also have my righting line and mast/jib lines run here.

Tie a ring on and run the bungee through that then. You could also do it off of the lacing. And, just as another thought you could tie a ring on about the fore/aft location you want the bungee to come out the side of the boat so its coming to it at a 90 degree angle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Karl those ideas would certainly work. Cheers.

I've bought the components needed and fixed them to my tramp taking photos along the way to share. I'll also add these to the other thread that Zach gave me.
So far without having used this setup on the water the bungee rope tension under the tramp is nice and tight and I'm able to walk it right around the front of my cat without any trouble. I wired the bungee as per the Hobie catalogue illustration. I used 12 metres of 6mm bungee (6 metres per trap), monel rivets, s/s saddles and Ronstan blocks.