Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, I've just purchased an elite 5hdi and it looks like I'm in over my head on hooking up the battery. I've been looking for a video but can't find anything. Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The conventional color code for batteries is Red = 12 volt positive and Black = 12 volt negative.
Make sure you install a fuse, "in series" on the +12 volt line.....the fuse value should be specified in the instructions......maybe 3 amps....and always carry a couple of spare fuses just in case.
If you go to your local auto parts store, look for a fuse holder in the trailer wiring area....I used this Cooper Bussmann fuse holder + cover http://www1.cooperbussmann.com/images/8 ... 8dbd45.JPG the fuse holder is P/N HHM-B and cove is HHM -C.
Then purchase the plugin fuse that is designed to fit that fuse holder.
It's an easy task to make the connections once you have all the parts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's the latest and greatest battery?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For myself, I just cut to the chase and bought the Hobie Fish finder III installation kit, P/N 72020070....it's complete with a 9 amp hour rechargeable gel cell battery and charger, the wiring is long enough to reach forward....I dropped the battery in the aft 8" compartment with the custom fitting battery holder and added an inline fuse....fished the wires forward with my Stanley 1" wide tape measure.
It's quick, neat and the battery/everything is of high quality.....done deal....My Humminbird 768 fish finder/GPS combo will operate for more than 22 hours w/o recharging the battery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mattska wrote:
Hey guys, I've just purchased an elite 5hdi and it looks like I'm in over my head on hooking up the battery. I've been looking for a video but can't find anything. Image

The only wires you need to connect are the black and red to the battery. The yellow wire does not need to be connected to anything but i would cut it and cap it off to make it watertight. The other cable with all the different color wires is a data cable which you would not be using so I would cut and cap those as well.

You do need to put the inline fuse on the red + wire between the unit and the battery. The Lowrance units come with the 3A inline fuse so you should not have to purchase one.

I have the Elite 5 HDI but have not completed install as of yet. I have the transducer installed but am mounting mine on the gunnels between the mounting board and rail and need to drill a couple holes for the waterproof thru hull plugs. I do not think all three wires will fit into one of the thru hull connectors so I am thinking about using two. If anyone has routed all three thru one I would love to see pics.

I am also wiring mine to a switch panel, along with nav lights and multiple led lights and am waiting on the panel to arrive any day before completing install.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good to know. Is this a problem with the Elite 4 HDI as well or just the 5 and up?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
For myself, I just cut to the chase and bought the Hobie Fish finder III installation kit, P/N 72020070....it's complete with a 9 amp hour rechargeable gel cell battery and charger, the wiring is long enough to reach forward....I dropped the battery in the aft 8" compartment with the custom fitting battery holder and added an inline fuse....fished the wires forward with my Stanley 1" wide tape measure.
It's quick, neat and the battery/everything is of high quality.....done deal....My Humminbird 768 fish finder/GPS combo will operate for more than 22 hours w/o recharging the battery.

You wouldn't happen to know the amp draw rating for your 768. The Elite5x is claimed at 1.1a but I'm being led to believe it'll be less, especially without much backlight.

I keep looking at the Hobie setup you got...likely may just do the same. The 5x will be here, finally, Monday. The only thing that's held me back is I could get the same/similar battery for a whole lot less. That way I'd have to rig a 8" tray liner to house it though, but I wouldn't be so much locked into a battery size.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tarheel69 wrote:
The only wires you need to connect are the black and red to the battery. The yellow wire does not need to be connected to anything but i would cut it and cap it off to make it watertight. The other cable with all the different color wires is a data cable which you would not be using so I would cut and cap those as well.

What are all these unused wires? I'll be hooking up a 5xHDI and it should need even less than the 5HDI you 2 have

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Joel_T wrote:
Tarheel69 wrote:

What are all these unused wires? I'll be hooking up a 5xHDI and it should need even less than the 5HDI you 2 have

You have the same cables we have. The yellow in the power cable is a wake up line that is used on typically on the HDS units for the structure scan. You will not need for the HDI unit but Lowrance just uses the same cables on these units. The other is a data/Ethernet cable that I double you will need to use.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joel_T the 768 current draw is 650 ma at 12 volts DC.....Humminbird recommends a 3A fuse in line.
The input voltage range is 10 to 20 V DC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For you guys who keep the battery in the back hatch, is the battery sitting on its side? The battery I have is sealed but I'm worried about tipping it over on its side to fit in the water tight tray.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mattska...Yes, the battery is on it's side.....as a "gel cell design", the orientation is not critical.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joel_T wrote:
What's the latest and greatest battery?

I thought it might be useful to provide a pic of the Hobie battery kit for reference here. The black plastic battery holder replaces the round storage bin that comes with the kayak. It also has a clamp that would allow it to attach to the mast holder in the bow instead if desired.

The charger is automatic so it shuts off when the battery is full and only provides a trickle charge if you leave it plugged in. It has a LED that is red when charging and green when in trickle mode.

The battery leads are connected to a waterproof connector (with the red wire showing) that either plugs into your charger or your kayak electronics. The battery is rated 12 volts / 8 Amp hours / 20 hours, enough juice for a lot of fishing.

All in all a clean setup for a reasonable price in my opinion.

Last edited by GrouchyOldMan on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The battery kit is terrific and I highly recommend it. I debated on several battery and mount solutions and for the price the Hobie battery kit is really a great option. I mounted mine in the bow attached to the accessory tube. I use the rear storage to house all of my emergency medical supplies and gear. I have a large screen fish finder/chart plotter and for example I ran it for several hours yesterday and only saw about 3 tenths of a volt drop. I'm sure I could run several days without a recharge.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea that kit does look like a clean install. The catalog says 9Ah now but the 5xHDI may need more like 12Ah+ so I'm waiting on a battery buy. Specs say a 1.1a draw but I've heard as little as .25a. The 5x should arrive today and I'll measure the true amp draw to see what battery might work best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next