Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sleeping on board
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video sampler. How do you sleep with all that racket? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Russ, Paul, Keith, Chris and Nohuhu.
Paul, I've seen your raised deck mods. They're a great idea though in the conditions I was in that day I think I'd need a lot more than 2".

Keith, the track was recorded on my old Galaxy S phone. I don't have a sim card in it but it works great with Navionics still. I didn't take the Galaxy Tab this trip.

Chris, Sure I'll ring you next time. This trip was a real spur of the moment decision made about lunchtime. As I still had most of the stuff together from Port Stephens I was able to be on water about 5pm.

Nohuhu, You get used to the cicada drone at this time of the year. They were in full voice that trip.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Just adding to Chris's comments Keith, Stringy is also a bit of rebel as well. He's a legend around these parts with pictures of him on 'REWARD' posters nailed to trees.

....and that's the reason for the mask.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Classic Slaughter!
You know, I tried a voiceover this time to try and make the video a bit more interesting and funny (like yours are) but it was a dismal failure. After playing it back I quickly deleted it ...can't stand the sound of my own voice. So it's more of the same from me again.
Your camera with it's waterproof mike is a real benefit. The sounds recorded by both my housed cameras are too muffled to use as commentary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's OK, I hate the sound of my own voice as well. I think everyone hates their own recorded voice. ( although I do think I sounded OK on the "Lets Dance' album ).

I spoke to Jorden Manley who did this https://vimeo.com/33516816 and asked him for a few narration hints. He said to get someone else to do it, which is what he did. And also less is better ie: let the camera tell the story rather than words, which is exactly what you did. I don't think I've got enough years left in me to ever get as good as him, but it's good fun trying.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I can see a certain resemblance!
That JM clip is amazing. Beautifully filmed. A low key but effective narration. The music plays a big part in the clips effectiveness. Great stuff! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Who was the masked man? Great video. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One way I can sleep aboard my Tandem Island.

Here's the Blog Post that goes along with it:
http://www.kayaksailingmagazine.com/index.php/en/easyblog/entry/plan-b-camping-hobie-island-style.html

~Butch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Woa! Seems like you´re trying to compete with Gustave Eiffel! :D

What is the weight of that tower? Made of plastic, I guess. It looks a bit extreme just for holding a small solar panel, but with the added functions it might make sense.

I would rather use a pop-up-tent. But I havent yet found a pop-up mosquito tent, so your solution still have some bearing.

It seems like you´re sleeping on a sleeping pad and nothing more, like I use to do. Is that comfortable enough to you? I might add another sleeping pad, but if your tower is strong enough you could use a hammock.

But I guess that would be less good for the sail!

I googled "mosquito+tent+pop-up" and there seems to be some stuff to buy:
https://www.google.se/search?q=mosquito ... 00&bih=437

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do have a sleeping pad that I put down. It's good enough for a couple of hours of sleep and then time to move on. I do have a dodger for it that is not in the photo, and it will help to keep the wind chill down too.

The rod holder is maybe 4lbs. Not very heavy at all and it's main job is carrying the rods offshore. I added the solar panel to ensure we had power even on overnight trips. The other function of it is to keep the Mainsheet off my head in the back. It works great and I am really satisfied with it!

You might be able to find one of these bug nets online from a military surplus company if the others don't work.

Good luck and post up what you come up with!

~Butch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice work Hollywood. 8)
Always good to see what others come up with for sleeping on board.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would think that the height of that frame will put the mainsheet at such a high angle that your sail will lose at least 25-40% efficiency. It should be as low as you can possibly endure, unless you are not concerned with sailing speed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tonystott wrote:
I would think that the height of that frame will put the mainsheet at such a high angle that your sail will lose at least 25-40% efficiency. It should be as low as you can possibly endure, unless you are not concerned with sailing speed.

Hey Tony,

For the most part speed is not the issue when I am out fishing. It is more about keeping the mainsheet out of my way. I will be posting up some pics from my GPS over the next few days as I sail in a race from Tampa Bay, FL to Key Largo, FL. The great thing about this system is I can simple take the mainsheet out of the fairleads and it's back to the original Clew angle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clever thinking! I didn't notice that the line goes under the structure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last month I was on holidays and making the most of the unseasonal warm weather we did two camping trips. We had a total of 12 days bush camping with the TI, where everything, including water had to be carried on board . We base camped in a spot which was only accessible by boat and did day trips, but having the TI so close:
..was very handy for R&D of some mods I'm working on.
I was able to test out a new way of sleeping on board and even though I haven't tried it yet on an overnighter (we are in the middle of winter here), initial day testing was encouraging.

Whilst researching more comfortable camp chairs (we can now highly recommend the Helinox Chair One:
...but that's another story) I came across their Cot One stretcher.
This is a lightweight (< 2kg), compact, and very comfortable stretcher that is cleverly designed, easily assembled and tensioned. At around AU$300 it's not cheap but it is top quality. It was easy to set up a cot tent arrangement using conduit to support the tent poles on top of the Cot One.
After 16 nights spent sleeping on it so far, we can highly recommend this arrangement. You are up off the ground and it's easier getting into the tent. Thermarests on top of the tent floor add to the comfort and insulate against the cold.

As good as sleeping on the haka is I was wanting to simplify on board set up and get close to the land based arrangement we got used to above. Moving all the gear off the haka, centring them, setting up the tent then moving the gear back etc. takes time. You also need to carry an extra haka when soloing and two extra haka for two people just to enable getting around on board without getting wet.
After assembling the Cot One I could see that it wouldn't be difficult to attach it to the TI hull using 3 channels that span the hull.
I found these at my local hardware superstore which are light, strong and powder coated

Doubled up they are strong enough to support two people

The channel is attached to the hull using saddles and quick release pins

The 3 support legs of the stretcher drop into the channel

and are secured using cable clamps

The end result is a comfortable and secure sleeping platform
...that makes a great base for a tent:

I need to work on the conduit tent support but overall I'm very pleased with this new way to sleep onboard.
More to come ...when it warms up!
Helinox website here:
http://www.helinox.com.au/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! That is some research/development work you are doing, Stringy. Very impressive! Where we camp most of the time, a sleep-on-board setup has problems. However, it looks like a great alternative in the right places.

That chair you mention--a comparable one is sold under the REI brand here in the states: http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair US$69. They only weigh 1.4# out of aluminum, which makes them very appealing for anyone wanting to reduce weight.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next