Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My little mod over the Christmas/New Year break was the addition of a outboard motor mount for my AI. Took it for a little spin around Pittwater to test it out and it performed well. The main motivation for adding the motor was for longer distance transits to destinations of interest. For example launching at one end of Cowan Creek where you might be at the mercy of wind and tide.
The Honda 2.3D (short shaft) is an air cooled outboard with built in 1 Litre fuel tank. I bought couple of 1L fuel containers for spare fuel if required but I found a combination of motoring, sailing and pedaling I used less than a tank. At quarter throttle the AI was pushed along at about 9 Km/h (4.9 knots). It is also far enough back to not interfere with the side scan transducer on the port side.
The mounting was based on existing design found on Youtube done by RUDYAKAHALIBU77. His excellent video can be found here-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8v2pn04K8[/youtube]

Here's a couple of pics from the test cruise-

Some info/pics added (7 Jun 2014)
Most of the stuff came from Bunnings. Used 40mm Vinidex PVC

Straight DWV 40mm
4x 45deg bends
2x T-piece
I found that the sizes can vary a little so I got all the same brand.

I had some 30 something mm grey conduit laying about and I put this inside the 40mm PVC to reinforce it. It was a little too big to fit directly so I had to cut a slit down the side.

I found I could cut a slot with a circular saw and squeeze the inner conduit down inside the 40mm stuff. Be very very careful doing this as the PVC can grab and shatter or go flying when being cut. Once I got the size right for the inner I glued it and put it in. Once the glue is on you only get 1 go at fitting.

I didn't glue the joined sections until I got all the angles right. The U-bolts are galvanised at the moment. Can't remember the size from Bunnings but they go through holes that are 55mm apart and the thickness of the U-bolt is about 6.8mm. I had to shorten the U-bolts as required.

One mod I still need to do is put a bolt right through the PVC and wood. This stops it from twisting under power.

I used plenty of varnish on the wood.

More of the finished items
The ends were finished off with rubber leg tips and black Sugru to make it look tidy and hold the rubber in. Might pay to drill a hole to let water out.

The fluro yellow bits are 3D printed spacers to help hold everything in place.
And don't forget it needs to be tied down securely on the opposite side to the motor.

Last edited by Cowsgomoo on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:55 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great , timely topic. I was just beginning to look over my AI and think about how I was going to mount the same exact motor. Bob got my interest after his posts on using this motor on the TI. After trying it out is there anything you would do different?
How about when you tilt the motor, does it stay out of the water when sailing a good breeze?
I probably would mount it on the opposite side of the AI due to the fact that I would want the right free for folding the amas back on the landing of bigger fish. Any thoughts on this? Ahh, now I notice the throttle would then be further away??
Curious, why do you have a separate setup for holding your cart? I know it's a slight angle on the AI with the Aka in the way but it works well for me? But then I've installed a skipper seat similar to Josh over at MKF.

Speaking of cows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZy4yChJkU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahhh, a new theme song! Must install the monster speakers on the AI at some point. :lol:

I had to put it that side because of the sonar transducer on the port side. I don't do much fishing so I'll have to put up with not being able to fold the ama back.
The motor stayed out of the water while tilted the day I was out. But the wind wasn't that strong. It tilts up easy enough when you want and latches in position. I may want a small bungee to hold it while tilted as it can bounce a little going over boat wakes and swell etc.

I've got some supports that I 3D printed where the mount rests on the rear cross bar. These could be a little wider and deeper. Currently the mount gets lashed to the crossbar. Also I'm going to put a bolt through the PVC pipe and wooden mount to stop it twisting. I did tighten up the U bolts more when I put it into the water but I think 1 or 2 bolts right though would be nice.

I was concerned the throttle might be too close but its not really (for me) and it can be flipped up out of the way if required. All the thumbscrews are tightened to prevent movement. Steering is done with the AI rudder and throttle position stays where you leave it.

The wheels just slide into some PVC pipe in a plastic container. That's just where they ended up. :D

I should take some more pics of the actual mount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

oN THE COW THEME, THIS IS COOL AS!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWvRkUED2HA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BLUB, BLUB, BLUB BLUB, BLUB,.. Yeah, you'll need monster speakers to hear the music mow. :roll:

Wishing you much fishing success in your new BassMaster. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Added some more info and pics... See original post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And a few more pics. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the thread and tips on building the mount. I managed to put together one for my AI.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks good John. I looked up that lake and it looks like a great place to go. Any dramas with sunken trees?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a great spot. You need to keep eye out for trees depending on the water level. It was at 55% today so it was easy to see where the trees were.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's an alternative construction method using aluminium, epoxy and countersunk pop rivets.
It needs an angle grinder with those 1 mm cut off wheels, a good vice and hole saw and drill.
This is apparently how they build many aircraft wings so it should be ok.
I have used it for nearly a year.

The vertical tubes have timber dowling to add strength.
They also protrude slightly out of the scupper holes underneath so they don't go through the wall.
I simply tie it down using the existing black cleats.
The frame at the back is for a fuel container and the box holds spare plug and spanner.
I drilled 2" holes in the 1/4" aluminium face plate that you can see.
So even if the clamps come loose the motor stays on.
I also use a chicken strap to the Hobie handle just in case.

I run a 2 stroke 3 Hp motor which is difficult to flush.
May end up changing to the air cooled Honda.

Apart from emergency steering it is great for long distances up narrow creeks.
We have Finnis Creek at the lower Murray Lakes where it takes about 3 hours to navigate.
The reeds are about 6' high on either side, a bit Afircan Queen movie like.
Classic old B&W movie with Humphry Bogart and Kathryn Hepburn.
But I digress.

The best part, at the end of the Finnis Creek is a phone to local winery.
They will come and pick you up and take you to the winery for lunch.
So the motor is a great alternative for the return trip after a few wines.

The engine mount survived a capsize by the way.
I had to strip the motor and rebuild it.
The motors don't seem to like being under salt water for a while.
It seems ok again after the rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lovely Job

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will add my data point to this thread - which I found after I had already jury rigged what I did..

I have had an AI since 2010 and am thinking about getting a TI as my wife has expressed an interest in going along on some of the adveture outings. When we use the TI, it will mostly be on a many mile long lake (Havasu) and I think the outboard would be nice to motor say 6 to 10 miles to some place, sail and pedal around, maybe sail/pedal back or just motor back.

I also think the motor will be nice for when Im single handing the TI as I understand a lot of people like to sail from the front but a little weiight to the rear helps a little (like an outboard back there).

I dont know where Hobie is with someone putting an outboard on something that was not designed for an outboard..

But.. I dont have a TI yet so for no real good reason, I tried a 2.5 hp Suziki on my AI.

Pictures below. Mechanically this was rock solid, worked just fine. I filled the huge 0.26 gallon gas tank up on the Suzuki and motored at around 5.3 knots until the gas ran out. I went 10.4 miles so my mileage was about 40 miles to the gallon.

However... not all was perfect. First, even though that is a fairly quiet outboard, its right next to your head when running. You might need ear plugs. Second was that I had left the pedal assembly out and somehow lost the plastic piece that plugs that hole so had a gush of water comming in through that hole (where the pedal assembly goes). The gush often had water running over the circular hatch just in front of where you sit and this aparently is not that water proof.. as I must have had 5 to 10 gallons of water in the main hull. I will also get some water in there after a high wind sailing day but not this much.. On the other hand, I didnt even notice the water in there unitl I looked after pulling the boat out.

Overall.. kind of useful on the AI, I think worthwhile for the real big lakes with the TI.. FYI, I used the end piece of an old windsurfing boom and the pice of wood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Walt. Joined the Put-Put Club huh?

The water penetration sounds bad. I would do a leak test and check the seat holes, scuppers and drive well. Virtually impossible for that amount to get in through the round hatches on my hull.

It could be sucking in through the rear steering lines with all that turbulance, Maybe the other motorheads here can tell you if that's a symptom.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did a pretty good visual check on the hull - could not see any issue and I also have used the AI recently without the outboard - no issue with water in the hull. The control lines in the back.. maybe.. In the second picture you can see where they are close to the water.

But.. the gush through the open pedal slot was substantial - it kept the round hatch just in front of the seat almost always covered with water. I should have taken a picture.. I motored for just under 2 hours and at a good clip - 5.3 knots (using the 0.26 gallons in the tank).. Seems like in the past I have had water get in through that round hatch between the seat and the pedals when it rained.. so that is where I think it came in.. FYI, I filled the two fishing rod holder holes with water after and watched the level for a few hours to see if something had cracked.. Nope,

If I could find the plastic pedal hole plug that came with the boat, I could try again with that in place as that would keep the water flow from coming up onto the hatch top.. Since I have never used that plug.. chances are that its long gone..

But.. its really the TI where I think this will be useful anyhow - which is in the plans sometime in the next year.