Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I am planning some long distance sailing trips in my Getaway, approximately 10 miles and 35 miles. I want to be prepared and have the proper equipment. I plan on taking:
extra shroud cables, extra halyard line, first aid kit, sunscreen, water, gps, handheld radio, toolbox (with spare parts), extra rope and 2 oars.

I am not going to take this trip without an outboard motor (2hp 4 stroke).

Well, did I miss anything? Has anyone else done a long distance sailing trip? I want to be prepared. I plan on sailing the Great Lakes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Assume for hand held radio you mean VHF? Cell phone?
If you are really worried try an EPIRB.

Give your Sailing club/loved ones your planned itinerary, ETD and ETA, call them on arrival.

We often take a spare PFD (life jacket).... 'just in case', and when I was using Dacron sails, we took with Sail Tape and spare
Shroud Anchor pins for my H18. Your tool box may well have spare clevis pins, ring dings and assorted 'stuff'.

Assume you have 'the right' clothing and gloves etc.

We also take a waterproof camera, for the memories.... and in a secure container, some PBJ's.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

10 miles is pretty minor. You can see that far; I don't know how much stuff you could normally need to repair in that distance. Sure anything can go wrong but as far as being away from land goes, it's a pretty normal afternoon sail.

For 35 miles, I'd probably:
- make sure I had survival gear (PFD, protection from cold)
- have waterproof communication gear or a way to signal
- make sure the boat was in good shape
- know how far it is to land downwind

After those items, I might have some spares but if you run into the kind of weather that breaks your rig, are you really going to be repairing it on the water?

I generally carry a knife, some very basic tools and some spare hardware. If a shroud breaks I would try to repair it with one of the trap lines.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Extra rigging sounds like overkill to me.

Are you planning to sail 35 miles down a coast or 35 miles out to sea to reach an island?

I did a 100 mile distance race, because it was a race that circled an island I only brought a VHF radio, cell phone, snacks, water, small spare parts and some dynemma for emergency repairs.

The main thing is to make sure your boat is as good as it can be before you head out.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would add a regular compass in your pfd pocket on a lanyard. I sailed around Manitowoc area and the fog would sometimes come in really quickly. Nice to have a reliable reference on which way "west" is. (Or whatever direction your nearest shore is.)

Also a small, bright LED waterproof flashlight. Just in case you get stuck out after dark. Shine up on your sail to show other boats your position.
I carried a small set of flares also, in a ziplock bag.

I know it seems like overkill to a lot of people, but when I first started sailing Lake Michigan and debated buying a handheld VHF radio because my boat is "so small", a friend with a lot of Great Lakes experience told me: "Yeah, but it's a BIG lake." Better to have some junk you never use than not have it when you NEED it.

I was on Lake Mendota in Madison last summer, just pulled out of the harbor when a friend on board said "Is that pin thing supposed to be attached?" My jib furler shackle pin had come loose and was only holding up the mast by a thread, literally! She grabbed it and we fixed it. Now I also carry a few spare parts like shackles and clevises. I also safety wired and locktited all standing rigging shackles.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the ideas. I am planning on sailing to an island, so I would be out over a lot of open water, which can be intimidating. I would like to get a hand held VHF radio (not just a cell phone), then you could transmit to other boats if there was an urgent situation. Leaving some sort of sail plan with ETA is a great idea as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When i'm sailing I always have a Handheld Distress Flare in my safetyvest
The same as picture 3 flares in one watertight holder
And also a knive.

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Three items that are permanently stowed in my PDF pockets: serrated knife, emergency whistle and signal mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have trouble getting back on my Wave if I end up in the water so we always have a "slip step" which is a simple sling step that attaches around the trampoline crossbar. It lays out of the way until you need it. I wouldn't want to be miles out and no way to get back on the boat.
We never sail without it - long or short trip.

Tim
Cobrasailing.com