Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lanark Reef
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone do any kayak fishing around Lanark Reef near Carabelle, Florida?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NO BUT RECENTLY FISHED RATTLESNAKE COVE ON BAY SIDE OF ST GEORGE ISLAND STATE PARK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Navy,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum. Not yet with the yak, but I have done a lot of boat fishing out of Lanark with a buddy. That is his favorite place to launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On Sunday...I paddled a rented "Revolution" to the Dog Island side of Lanark Reef. Talked to another yaker who had just landed an 18" red. Think I'll give it a try tomorrow, although the rental yak is plane ant not really rigged for fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How did the Revo paddle? I rented the new outback sat., took it to lake talquin, it performed nicely, very manuverable, quick, extremely stable. It isn't something you want to have to paddle for any distance. Being new to kayaking I realize now that a drift bag or drift chain would help considerably when fishing. I plan to rent the revo next and then decide on which to purchase. I have been told that Hobie was working with the RAM people on designing a rod holder that would attach forward of the seat area on the REvo. THis would help in my decesion making if so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am new to kayaking so you need to take my opinions with that in mind. I found the Revolution paddled well. I launched at Lanark Boat Club and paddled around Lanark Reef on four consecutive days and paddled the entire way. Met another fisherman one day out and let him try the peddle drive which he loved. On the fourth day I did some fishing and used the peddle drive while fishing which worked fine. My wife used the kayak for about an hour and also liked the peddle drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it helps huntboykins, I had the Outback for 2 seasons and loved the boat dearly. After developing the dreaded crack, I worked a deal with my local shop and traded for the Revo (same price to him). It paddles tons better than the Outback.. Pedaling (with turbo fins) the Revo screams. As far as the rod holders up front, Matt Miller posted picks of the Revo fully decked out at http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 0210#20210 (Ram with rectangular base 2x3 I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I plan on installing outriggers via the ram rocket launcher rod holders to add stand up stability for fly fishing, poling. Where would be the optimum position relative to the seat to facilitate this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hunt,
Here is a pic that Matt Miller posted earlier of a fully rigged Revo (see dueitt's link above for other pics). You will note the RAM rocket launcher 2x3 mounts just forward of the mesh pockets. This looks like a good spot to consider installiing the RAM outriggers, assuming in-the-hull access for installing backing plates. But Hobie now has its own outriggers (amas), and I seem to recall that these can be installed behind the seat. You probably need to check with a dealer to confirm this, and to see what Hobie recommends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This set up would probably best for poling but not so good for paddling? Whereas behing the seat would be best for paddling but not so good for poling? Whatcha think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hunt,
To tell ya the truth, I have done it both ways. Behind the seat on my Outback, and forward on the Sport. Either way will work so long as you have sufficient space for your normal paddle stroke. You will still whack your float or arm with your paddle on occasion, but hey, as Doc Wilki sez, "we don't need no steenking paddles" anyhow, or words to that effect! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach- Is the standup stability the same in both locations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Apalach- Is the standup stability the same in both locations?

Yep--doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference in that regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Apalach- the ram ball needs to be bolted with nut on underside along with a metal plate on the underside for additional sturdiness does it not? Do you think thats doable based on the "fitted out" photo? If so I would presume that one would have to go throught the 8" hatch between your legs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Apalach- the ram ball needs to be bolted with nut on underside along with a metal plate on the underside for additional sturdiness does it not?

Correct. At first I thought it might be accessible thru the front hatch, but I think you're right. It would probably have to be the 8 incher just in front of the seat. These installs always involve a bit of being a contortionist, but it looks doable to me.

Maybe one of the new owners can chime in here on this. I have been getting good feedback about the new Hobie Sidekick amas as well, so that would certainly be something else to consider. I believe these would bolt on just behnd the seat.