Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Elite-7 HDI using dual frequency sonar and 90% brightness on the display and I have no power consumption concerns.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know a rough price of the battery kit from hobie and part#?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mattska wrote:
Does anyone know a rough price of the battery kit from hobie and part#?

72020070 $112

In my opinion worth the money.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As listed in my winter 2013-14 Hobie parts & acc. catalog....

Fish finder install kit III P/N 72020070 is $112.00 (that has battery, charger, wiring harness, battery holder, some tie wraps....you still will likely need a fuse and holder, some inline crimp splices or if you can solder connections, no crimp splices and maybe a few extra tie wraps). Speaking from my experience, this is a "clean battery install kit".

12 volt battery alone is P/N 72025001 @ $55.99
Charger alone is P/N 72025002 @ $32.99

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just FYI, I just installed a Elite 5 HDI without drilling any additional holes. I took the stock rubber plug that comes in the through hole wire grommets and cut a hole large enough to make all three wires fit very snugly. There MAY be a chance water could get in so I am going to fill with marine silicone sealant just in case although probably not necessary where the hole is located.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hogman wrote:
Actually the leads fit easily. Put the transducer connector through the hole, then put the power cable through backwards so you don't have to push both connectors through the hole.

^^^ This!

Finished my install of the Elite 5 HDI on my 2013 PA 14 today. Aside from my arms being a bit short, I had no trouble at all. Didn't need to make any modifications to the boat. I did clip off and heat-shrink the data cable from the power plug, since it's unused. Getting the two cables into the two-hole grommet insert and back into the thru-hull fitting required some silicon lubricant.

All of my connections are soldered and heat-shrink wrapped. All that's left to do is bundle up the excess cable with zip ties and tuck it out of the way in the hull. Then this weekend, I get to start learning how to read a finder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Beware of short arms ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great post, I was looking to solve a different dilemma and did not reach the problem you mentioned yet. I checked and your right, it's .022's over size and will have to do the same thing you did with the dermal tool and shave off .011's off each side and for that I thank you for taking the time to giving us a heads-up. Now for my original problem that I was searching for, I rather not drill a second one inch hole in my pristine hull to accommodate a wire I may not need and that would be the Data wire associate with the power cable , what is that wire needed for?

Thank you ahead for any help

Gavinfla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tarheel69 wrote:
Mattska wrote:
Hey guys, I've just purchased an elite 5hdi and it looks like I'm in over my head on hooking up the battery. I've been looking for a video but can't find anything. Image

The only wires you need to connect are the black and red to the battery. The yellow wire does not need to be connected to anything but i would cut it and cap it off to make it watertight. The other cable with all the different color wires is a data cable which you would not be using so I would cut and cap those as well.

You do need to put the inline fuse on the red + wire between the unit and the battery. The Lowrance units come with the 3A inline fuse so you should not have to purchase one.

I have the Elite 5 HDI but have not completed install as of yet. I have the transducer installed but am mounting mine on the gunnels between the mounting board and rail and need to drill a couple holes for the waterproof thru hull plugs. I do not think all three wires will fit into one of the thru hull connectors so I am thinking about using two. If anyone has routed all three thru one I would love to see pics.

I am also wiring mine to a switch panel, along with nav lights and multiple led lights and am waiting on the panel to arrive any day before completing install.

I'm glad I found this Beware of the Lowrance Elite Post it has been very helpful, I learned that the power cannon connector doesn't go through the backing nut and has to be modified a little, no biggy. And cutting off the Date cable because there is not need for it and this allows you to use one thru-hull fitting for both the power and transducer. All that's left to decide for my installation of the Elite HDI FF is where to put it, the cup holder or the gunnel ahead of the rod holder using a Geartrake which will force me to drill a one inch hole in my pristine hull. The cup holder is great, can use existing thru hull fitting but I find the bottom of the cup holder a little thin and could crack if bumped.
Anyone have any suggesting or input on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same problems with my connector nuts being overly large and the multiple wires not fitting in a single fitting. I did the nut grind as some others said they did and added another fitting for the additional wire. Not a real problem after I got over the fear of drilling and grinding on brand new toys.

I did want to share my battery mounting solution. I originally stored it in the bow in a waterproof box but I read on the internet somewhere about storing it in the rear hatch box. Since that area is always covered with other equipment and was going unused anyway I figured it was the a great idea. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures. The fit is perfect and it only took me about 20 minutes, a razor type scraper and an Exacto knife to complete the install. And FYI, battery at Bass Pro or your local sporting goods store $29.00. "Smart" charger $30.00. The fuse and holder came with both of my Lowrance units.
Hobie on brothers.

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... C_0601.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... C_0603.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone I was wondering could help me with a quick question... Just went out this weekend for the first time on my 2015 Outback and my new LOWRANCE 5 HDI power but the Hobie Battery Kit (FISHFINDER INSTALLATION KIT III LOWRANCE® READY - Part #72020070) Prior for me to go out I left the battery charge all night.
Spend the morning fishing after 2 hours the unit shut down. Figured was the battery, I was able to power up the unit again, lower the brightness and run it for another hour before completely shutoff. So in the end was able to use the unit for about 3 hours... is this normal? For 50% of the time I was in Sonar/Fish Finder mode the other 50% was in split screen Sonar/DownScan. Settings are pretty much from factory so assume that the GPS was on, still... shouldn't the battery last more than 3hrs?
Any help would be most welcome...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:27 pm 

Last edited by BassinProf on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was able to install my Elite 5 Chirp utilizing only one thorough hull plug. I first cut off the data cable approximately 3/4 of an inch from the connector and shrink tubed the pig tail to the remaining power cable. Then I prepared the power cable for install and back fed the cable through the through hull plug. Nice clean look, works for me. No other mods necessary, it is truly "Lowrance Ready". I believe the data cable is necessary for connecting to an NMEA network utilized on boats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wonder what everyone is getting for battery life fror the Elite 5 HDI?
Battery type (aH) and appoximate time?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Hobie 8 AH battery and typically get 7-8 hours on a charge. I actually have two of the them installed in front and on 4 day trips usually use them both up.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next