Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We now have three Division 9 Hobie Class Association Points Regattas on the calendar for this year! The participating regattas are:

Bare What You Dare, May 10 – 11, Keowee Sailing Club, Seneca, SC, http://www.keoweesailingclub.com, contact: Rick Harper, [email protected]

James Island Yacht Club Annual Regatta (One-Design classes only), June 14-15, Charleston Harbor, SC, http://www.jiyc.org, contact: Nick Bostic, [email protected]

Indian Summer Regatta, October 11 – 12, Lake Waccamaw Sailing Club, Lake Waccamaw, NC, http://www.waccamawsailing.com, contact: Philippe Laurent, [email protected]

In addition to earning points towards Hobie’s national competitor rankings, these regattas will also constitute the Division 9 Championship Points Series. Based on the results of these regattas, we’ll tally series standings and ultimately determine a series champion. If you have a Hobie 16 or 18, or if you can borrow or steal one, try to make it to one or more of these regattas. The intent is to focus Hobie competition on these regattas so we’ll have big turnouts and enjoy one-design Hobie racing with our own starts – no handicapping. One-Design racing is the most pure form of sailboat racing there is. The numbers of boats in the Hobie classes afford us the unique opportunity to compete boat for boat in relatively large classes. So drag out somebody’s old Hobie and come out and join us!

Regarding class rules – there will not be any formal boat inspections. Competitors are expected to make reasonable attempts to comply with class rules. Unless someone blatantly violates a rule to the extent that they gain an unfair advantage, I doubt anyone will protest another boat over equipment or crew issues. If it comes down to it, however, the RRS and class rules will apply. Non-conforming boats will be offered the opportunity to either sail with their respective Hobie fleet but not be scored or, if available, an opportunity to race in an open class. We’d rather have a non-class legal boat/crew show up than not.

I look forward to seeing you (in my rear view mirror) on the water.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the news MVD. Great to have a heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Champ, I hope you're ready to defend your title this season. You're a marked man.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice to have Division 9 back on the map!

Mark- You are due a sincere "thank you" from all of the Div. 9 sailors for your hard work and perseverance to make this happen. I look forward to seeing you on the water. (While looking backwards, of course. )

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow. Now I just need crew that I can travel with. Arrgh.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First Points Regatta is still over 2 months away so you've got some time to do some brainstorming. Check with the folks at Fleets 32, 53 and 97. One of them may meet you at a regatta to crew or maybe one of them will need a crew. If you advertised for a crew on the Catamaran Crazy Yahoo Group you might find somebody there too. The contacts at the host yacht clubs might know somebody, maybe some youth sailors, who would want to crew with you. Maybe this would be a good time to start hitting on a cute neighbor . . . Just saying . . .

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD wrote:
Hey Champ, I hope you're ready to defend your title this season. You're a marked man.

Well, my ringer crew member, owing it all to his awesomeness, is now in the Service of our Country so I'll let us start out even this season :mrgreen:

AntonLargiader and other div 9ers... I, and others, may be without crew... let's just keep in touch here and team up on options.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MVD wrote:
Maybe this would be a good time to start hitting on a cute neighbor . . . Just saying . . .

Well, it's my neighbors/crew that I suspect would not work out for the weekend-away thing.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1G6XBubotsa2

All of those races are a solid 7~9 hours away. They have exams, summer internships and all of that going on as well as my demands on their time! Day sails are hard enough to organize.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for posting the link to the pictures. It's often hard to find time, there are so many competing priorities anymore. Time is one of life's most precious commodities. Nevertheless, I hope we'll see you at one these regattas, I look forward to the opportunity to swap stories over a cold brew.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28