Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As of 6:11 pm it looks like SirTackalot in a TI is in front of all the islands. DogsLife in his AI is slightly behind him and they are just off Englewood not far from the first checkpoint.

Just a note to people who want to follow the race. The tracker is overloaded but it will work if you select a smaller subset of racers when looking at the EC race. Select a class within the EC or a racer and then click regenerate and it should work. You can view all racers for the Ultimate Florida Challenge (UC) or Ultra Marathon (UM). Only 3 boats entered for the UC this year and Chief is one of them. He has skinny plank hakas and a wooden device to connect his hakas together to drape over the cockpit for sleeping on. He never hikes out on the skinny plank hakas which is a good thing because I'm fairly confident they would break. But they're lightweight and good to store gear or sleep on.

There were a lot of islands on the beach. Big difference from last year was I didn't see any with modified seats but I didn't get to the west part of the beach. It was a beautiful morning to watch the race begin. Always fun to be on the beach during this event.

One bit of excitement for the participants was the large freighter entering Tampa Bay about the same time the bulk of the racers were crossing. Charlie (Bosab) was monitoring that situation his binoculars and said racers were scrambling to stay clear of the freighter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update – Sunday, 4:30 PM

TIs

Triman (aka Mark Ellison) – Inside Caya Costa, not moving
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard)—North Sanibel, not moving
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—Near St James City, not moving
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols)—inside waterway off Sanibel doing 5 kn
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSerpa (aka Steve Morris)—south of Sanibel making 5 kn
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—near Cayo Costa, not moving
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)—near North Captiva moving at 4 kn
    SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—near CP1, not moving
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)—not on mapper, but cleared CP1
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell) —cleared CP1 but not on mapper
    Hollywood (aka Butch Newell)—thru CP1 but not on mapper
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)--DNS??
    Sharknado (aka Kent Morse)--DNS??

AIs

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral)—south of Sanibel doing 5 kn about 10 miles offshore
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell) South of CP1 not moving
    Danceswithwaves (aka Royd Whedon)—at CP1 and not moving.
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—Off Cayo Costa moving at 3 kn
    Juscuz (John Sims)—outside Cayo Costa moving at 5 kn
    FlyingFox (aka Susan Fox)—DNF, pressed “help” button
    Kokopedal (aka Ray Jones) DNS??
    PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) DNS??

Dogslife, who said he was taking it easy this year may be leading all competitors, TI/AI, single, male-male, mixed.

The overall leader is Randy Smythe (aka SewSew) in Sizzors--a custom made, super fast trimaran. Randy is in the lead group every year--like 1st or 2nd. 2 yrs ago, he capsized within view of the finish line and a good Samaritan came to help in a power boat and ran over the stern of his boat. This year, Randy has done the first 250 mi to CP3 in 1 day, 4 hrs--absolutely amazing. He should finish the 300 mi race in under 40 hrs, but low tides in Florida Bay are hindering crossing to the finish in Key Largo. I guess if you are "young" and finish in that time, you don't have to sleep during the race. I'm afraid I would be nodding off.

I cannot find some people on the mapper, which may indicate they did not start. For example, I did not see Jim Czarnowski (Hobie AI/TI engineer) on the beach and he is not on the mapper. Still, it is possible, that they are in the race, but not showing up on the mapper for some reason. There is nothing that says you must start at 7 am on Saturday, Mar 1. You may start later, but you are required to check into CP1 by noon on Sunday, Mar 2--a distance of about 60 miles.

My apologies for any errors or omissions. Please make additions and corrections as you see fit. There are so many AI/TIs this year, it is hard to keep track of everyone.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the update Keith. I do see our Penguinman near Sanibel Island about two hours ago. 15 Watertribers still don't show checked it at CP1.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KB, how did you locate PenquinMan, because if you try to bring him up on the mapper, he his not listed in the "Hobie AI" class? What class did you find him in--Hobie IM, perhaps? I haven't looked there.

The "mapper" is maintained by some volunteers I suspect, and it may have errors.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I see PenquinMan. With the prototype jib, he is in the Hobie IM class, all by himself. He will be at once the winner and last place finisher, if he gets to Key Largo.

Speaking of Key Largo, the Awards Ceremony and brunch start at 10:30 am, Saturday, Mar 8. See you all there.

KB (etal), there are so many boats and people at this event, especially this year, it is difficult to take it all in, but, I wish I had concentrated on spray skirts & hakas. There was one AI (who???), which had a 2-board haka (about 8" wide) and solid spray skirts--cut like yours but made from rubberized solid tarp material. He/she also had them covering much of his front hatch--no water was going to splash up from underneath, and the bow might take a minute or so to recover from a bow dive. Could be scary.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PenquinMan is now marked DNF in the Results page, as well as 14 others not marked checked in at CP1. Most are still showing moving south of CP1.??

As Keith said, lots more boats this year and much technical problems with all the extra people following it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've posted a video of the 2014 EC start. 3 minutes. I think you will enjoy it.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkumqLt4-A[/youtube]

If you can't get to it via the YouTube link, go directly with this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkumqLt4-A

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Keith!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update – Monday, 8:24 AM

Most AI/Tis are getting down near Marco Island/10,000 Island area and will get to CP2 (Chokoloskee) today or tomorrow. They will need to stop at the Everglades National Park headquarters to get a permit for camping in the Park. It is then a dash down to Flamingo at the other end of the Everglades. After that it will be the 35 mi slog across eastern Florida Bay—a very shallow area. It is still not clear at this early point which boats DNS, which have quit (DNF), and which may have a malfunctioning SPOT tracker. I’ve posted info on those showing up on the Mapper.

Dogslife who claimed to be taking a leisure trip this year is clearly intent on beating all AI/Tis to the finish, single, male-male, mixed.

TIs--Husband-wife teams looking good; solo pilots BackwaterBob and Triman making good progress. Father/daughter team Sundance/GoldenSun are listed in Class 5 rather than the new Hobie TI class. Pelican & son are also in Class 5 rather than Hobie TI. They are making nice progress although they are taking an inside route at Marco Island. They had a disastrous crash last year when they literally lost their boat.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—In Indian Key Pass, heading to Ranger Station in Everglades City, then over to Chokoloskee, CP2
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—Just south of Cape Romano in Gullivan Bay, 12 mi WNW of SirTackalot. Moving at 3 kn.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSerpa (aka Steve Morris)—Off south end of Marco Island, 4 kn
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols)—On Coast near Triman. Both Triman & BWB are resting about 5 mi north of Marco Island.
    Triman (aka Mark Ellison) – Triman is back in the race today. He is on an inside channel (not sure how he got there?) across from BackwaterBob who is on the coast. Both are about 5 mi north of Marco Island.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)—East of Marco Island on inside route.
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)— South of Sanibel moving at 3 kn; looking good.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell) —Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) This Father/daughter team are making good progress well south of Sanibel, north of Naples.
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard)—South of Sanibel, on coast near Estero, not moving
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Just E of St James City, not moving yet
    There is no shame in not finishing. Not finishing usually simply means you have a much, much better understanding o the demands of the Everglades Challenge. Usually, you have another opportunity to finish. And, the WaterTribers will always welcome you.

AIs—looking good!

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral)—Heading in Indian Key Pass. Probably to Everglades City Ranger Station for a Park permit. Then he will head over to Chokoloskee CP2.
    AhMaChamee (aka Bryan Tindell) Across from St James City on coast of Sanibel, sleeping in
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—Near St James City, not moving
    Juscuz (John Sims)—South of Sanibel, 10 mi off coast, moving at 5 kn
    Kokopedal (aka Ray Jones) South of Sanibel doing 3 kn

My apologies for any errors or omissions. Please make additions and corrections as you see fit. There are so many AI/TIs this year, it is hard to keep track of everyone, but the picture will clear in the next 24 hrs.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dogslife Update--After going through the Chokoloskee CP2, Dogs has gone inland! He apparently is sufficiently happy with his position (1st among all Islands) and is doing the harder (much harder?) inland route. If he traverses it all to CP3 (Flamingo) that will qualify him for a "gator" tooth (I've thought of buying one for $1.98 at a local shell shop) at closing ceremonies, Saturday in Key Largo.

The "Dogslife Legend" continues to grow. I believe the only other Island to ever do this was Hobie's Jim Czarnowski, last year. Jim is strangely absent this year, even though he was signed up for the event.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As of 25 minutes ago Penguinman's spot puts him between Marco Island and CP2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, I forgot which class he was in. He is just off Panther Key about 11.5 mi out of Everglades City Park Ranger Station. He is 2nd after Dogslife in the AI group, so it looks good. I'll try to remember to look for him in the Hobie IM class.

Thanks, Kb.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Update – Monday, 5:30 PM

Most AI/Tis are getting down near Marco Island/10,000 Island area and will get to CP2 (Chokoloskee) today or tomorrow. They will need to stop at the Everglades National Park headquarters to get a permit for camping in the Park. It is then a dash down to Flamingo at the other end of the Everglades. After that it will be the 35 mi slog across eastern Florida Bay—a very shallow area. It is still not clear at this early point which boats DNS, which have quit (DNF), and which may have a malfunctioning SPOT tracker. I’ve posted info on those showing up on the Mapper.

Dogslife who claimed to be taking a leisure trip this year is clearly intent on beating all AI/Tis to the finish, single, male-male, mixed.

TIs--Husband-wife teams looking good. BackwaterBob is the sole solo-crew TI still in the race. He is making good progress. Father/daughter team Sundance/GoldenSun are listed in Class 5 rather than the new Hobie TI class. Pelican & son are also in Class 5 rather than Hobie TI. They are making nice progress although they are taking an inside route at Marco Island. They had a disastrous crash last year when they literally lost their boat.

SirTackalot (aka Roy Edwards) and WindWatcher (aka Alex Wilson)—In Indian Key Pass, heading to Ranger Station in Everglades City, then over to Chokoloskee, CP2
    PedalOn (aka Roy MacPhail) and Sherlock (aka ArDelia MacPhail)—At CP2 in Chokoloskee. Taking break.
    ChumBucket (aka Bill Wickman) and TriSerpa (aka Steve Morris)— At CP2 in Chokoloskee. Taking break.
    Pelican (aka Nick Hall) and falcon (aka Mark Hall)— Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) Into Chokoloskee CP2—Good for this Father/son team. Apparently, Pelican did not want to go around Cape Romano, a shallow, channel-riddled area with strong currents.
    BackwaterBob (aka Bob Nichols)—Just south of Goodland. After going inland at Marco Island, it looks like he is coming back out on the coast—this maneuver avoids going around Cape Romano.
    Sundance (aka James Connell) and GoldenSun (Victoria Connell) —Listed in class 5 (not Hobie TI) This Father/daughter team are making good progress. They have gone in Big Marco Island River and are due east of Marco Island.
    PrivateHam (aka Michael Prince) & Jimbo (aka James Pritchard)—Stopped on Cape Romano, not moving
    DivesWithKraken (aka Tom Turner) and WyomingWolf (aka Debbie Turner)— Half way between Naples and Marco Island, on coast. Tom and Debbie have made great time today. I had a call from Tom about 5:45 pm. He said they were running out of light, but were in great spirits & would camp on Cape Romano.
    Moose & Squirrel are somewhere between Marco Island and Cape Romano. Their SPOT tracking is not working, and they are calling their position in.
    Dietired (aka Josh Bowers) and dietired2 (aka Denise Parris)—Stopped near Estero Bay, south of Sanibel. They have moved very slowly today. Not a good sign.
    Moose (aka Lee Havins) and Squirrel (Kimberly Havins)--DNS??

There is no shame in not finishing. Not finishing usually simply means you have a much, much better understanding o the demands of the Everglades Challenge. Usually, you have another opportunity to finish. And, the WaterTribers will always welcome you.

AIs—looking good!

Dogslife (aka Paul Kral)—After leaving CP2 in Chokoloskee, Dogs has turned inland and is doing the Wilderness Waterway. The WW is about 45 mi longer than the coastal route along the Everglades, and it involves traversing some very shallow bays, travelling up narrow creeks and rivers, and, finally, doing “Nightmare.” I’ve done it by sea kayak, but I have no desire to punish myself doing it in an AI. Dogs is about 15 mi east of Chok, resting. Go Dogs!
    PenquinMan (aka Jim Czarnowski) Jim is in the Hobie IM class. He is into CP2.
    Juscuz (John Sims)—On the coast at the south end of Marco Island, moving at 5 kn
    Kokopedal (aka Ray Jones) South end of Naples doing 4 kn. Kokopedal found a leak in his AI and has a temporary patch.
    Dorsalis (aka Charles (Chip) Southerland)—Finally on the move! At north end of Naples doing 3.5 kn. Great!
    Chief (aka Steve Isaacs) He is in the Ultimate Florida race (circumnavigate Florida in about 30 days.) He is currently resting near Ft Myers, east of Sanibel.

My apologies for any errors or omissions. Please make additions and corrections as you see fit. There are so many AI/TIs this year, it is hard to keep track of everyone, but the picture will clear in the next 24 hrs.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

10:33 PM, East Coast, USA. Dark!

Some people prefer to travel at night. It is cooler, but winds could be light tonight & tomorrow.

Dogslife is taking a break in the middle of the Everglades back bays. A Tandem, Chumbucket & TriSerpa, is closing on his position and may pass him tonight in the next hour or so. If they do, and he hears them, he will be up, and moving. If Chumbucket & TriSerpa succeed in doing the Wilderness Waterway in their Tandem, that will be a first. PenquinMan (Hobie engineer) is also up and moving tonight. He is 10 mi behind Dogs & the Tandem. Good luck to all in tackling the Wilderness Waterway.

AhMaChamee, who was quiet all day, is moving. PrivateHam & Jimbo are moving near Indian Key Pass. BackwaterBob seems to hunkered down in Indian Key Pass. Tom & Debbie Turner have found a good campsite on the East side of Cape Romano. They will be moving out early tomorrow morning. Tom told me there were no winds in the middle of the day. Winds may be intermittent in the next 24 hrs.

People will need to wait until tomorrow morning to get a permit at Park Hqtrs in Everglades City before traversing the shallow bay over to Chok CP2.

The end of Day 3 in the 2014 WaterTribe Everglades Challenge. It has been a good day for most AI/TIs.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cannot believe that people have to wait for opening hours to buy a permit, this isn't the Amazing Race is it? Surely the organisers could have arranged for issue before the race? Just sayin'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next