Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone ever seen or done this modification? I just didnt like the sharp angle the Furling line came of the barrel and into the cam cleat fairlead, it has also made it easier to furl in high wind.

It is also the beginning of my mod to have a rear seat cam cleat, same as you would in front seat position.. And instead of the furling line going through front cam cleat there would be a 3rd cheek block directing the line under the aka cross mount and there after would be a few more fairleads retaining the Furling line along the left hand port side of kayak to the rear seat furling cam cleat... hard to explain.

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Armada13 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are some photos of the rear aka cross mount, with the Furling cam cleat mounted on the left left hand side. I had to drill & tap the holes for this cleat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Generally you wouldn't furl the sail when there is wind pressure on it, so high wind or low, wouldn't matter. Just turn into the wind and when the sail goes slack, furl.

Otherwise, nice job.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I understand that but there has been a few times that I could not turn into the wind.... I.E. Water current over powering rudder and rudder line issues. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In those instances, bear off and turn almost DDW, with some wind just coming over the starboard side of the boat. The sail will almost furl itself with just a little bit of tension on the furling line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the schooling, yeah that day I should not have been on the lake very strong wind and current and we were all moving same general direction.. Wind was gusting towards my back from my right shoulder to my left slightly and man was I moving.... Started to submarine the AMA and scared the heck out me. It was definitely a learning experience! I'm new to this forum but your name is very familiar anyhow thanks again for the pointers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few more trips and you'll gain a lot of confidence in the boat. It's hard to really screw up as it'll round up, or down, before you get into a lot of trouble.

In high winds, don't cleat the sheet off - keep it in your hand and just let a foot or two slip out whenever you see that leeward ama really bury itself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is some great advice, I'm always cleating the rope! Habit I guess. I have a spot reserved at the lake for March 29th probably will go before then because I'm really I itching to get the boat wet! I hope I have some strong wind to try this technique out... Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We tried several arrangements, similar to yours. You have the right idea stepping down the vertical angles like that.

In the end we decided on this arrangement, which though it looks awkward, creates the least resistance, and never piles your line up or spills it off the drum when you unfurl. It's spray painted RED to match the hull now.

Welcome to the forum Armada.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks NOHUHU, I feel honored to have you comment on my post. I have read so much about you, even before I had my TI when I was still researching the Hobie Islands... That being said ...lol.. I know what u mean about the furling rope piling and spilling off the drum and that is why I added the second cheek block centered in front of the drum. It is almost high enough without a spacer and does pretty well, but would be way more efficient with about a 1/4" spacer. I hope to get the rest of the hardware soon to finish the rear seat furling cam cleat mod real soon, this hardware is pricey $$, but worth the Fun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great. You're off to a terrific start. Keep tweaking, and sharing.

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

San Antonio, Texas.... Not too far from the Gulf Coast / Padre Island.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Worked on the Furling Modification some ore today, took Nohuhu advice and made spacers...... I drilled and tapped the holes in the aka cross mount bar for the 3rd cheek block and is mounted to the under side, I had to completely remove the cross mount to do this....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I still need to install the fairleads along the side of the kayak and at least one more cheek block directing the Furling rope into the rear cam cleat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also installed the Yak Attack Mighty Mount to attach the GoPro, since I had all the tools out.