Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery cost?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.c ... &cid=15263

Good lord... this must be SOME kind of battery.... isn't this pretty much the same battery you can get from Battery's Plus (and other places) for about $19.00?

apologies, originally put in wrong forum...

Post subject: Re: Battery cost?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

redsinthehead wrote:
http://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/details/8926/humminbird-770027-1.html?chid=4283&cid=15263

Good lord... this must be SOME kind of battery.... isn't this pretty much the same battery you can get from Battery's Plus (and other places) for about $19.00?

apologies, originally put in wrong forum...

think yourself lucky you not need one of these

http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-pac ... -pack.html

cc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what I have from: http://www.ecomelectronics.com/

UB12100-S 12V 10AH, $23.99 with free shipping. Delivers in about 4-5 days.
Measures 5 15/16"wide, 4 3/8" high (add 3/8" for terminals), 2 9/16" thick, 7.3lbs.

I put mine in the rear hatch of my PA12. You'll have to remove the dividers from the Tackle container that comes with the ProAngler, but the battery fits perfectly. I've run mine for an entire weekend using a Lowrance HDS-5 GPS/FF, and for an entire day driving a Rule 360 gal/hour pump for my live well. Showed no sign of running out of juice in either situation.

Hope this helps.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For just $69 you can get a cordless 12V drill, two batteries and smart charger. Throw the drill away, keep the batteries and charger. The perfect FF powerplant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

PJS, got the same thing in my PA, rigged the same way. I started out using this type of battery MANY years ago as a power supply for a cave light used in SCUBA (and let me tell you what kind of juice those units pull!!). Batteries were bad when I bought it used and called the company to replace it... wanted $100 apiece for the dam things... I bought a couple from Batterys Plus for $20 each and am STILL using them for various things... last forever and I abuse the hell outta them. When I needed a battery for my depthfinder, dug this one out of a bunch of junk in a box and charged it a little... works forever on one charge. I bet they're 10-12 years old..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I provisioned two kayaks with the following set-up and it has worked well for me. I like the idea of an assured waterproof container (Pelican) with a quick disconnect plug. Easy in and out of the yak. Two strips of two inch wide velcro attached to the back of the case keeps it secure in place. Also, installed a fuse that fits neatly inside the case with the battery. Yes, it is not cheap at $89 but neither are our kayaks.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... wer/Detail

Think spring!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chopcat wrote:

think yourself lucky you not need one of these

http://www.deben.com/tracer-battery-pac ... -pack.html

cc

Spent a long time searching the Web for batteries but never came across that beauty! Caused classic 'need' versus 'want' dilemma. Suddenly climate control and hair dryer options are no longer impossible dreams with my 'yak...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is odd that the 7.5Ah that i have has stopped giving a full day.

Maybe that is because i hve been running two transducers on the Ti? I an very tempted to give the LiFePo a go as i think have other uses for it"

Going up in capacity with a lead battery means more weight and that is something i am adding all over the place as you will know, if you know our boat. I also have to use it in the revo.

Cc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

That cheap battery is an AGM type. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required.

The Hobie 12v battery is 9ah / Gel Cell and $55.99 list (#72025001 March 2014 USD)

The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. Both of which fit the Fishfinder usage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
That cheap battery is an AGM type. AGM is preferred when a high burst of amps may be required.

The Hobie 12v battery is 9ah / Gel Cell and $55.99 list (#72025001 March 2014 USD)

The Gel Cell Battery excels in slow discharge rates and slightly higher ambient operating temperatures. Both of which fit the Fishfinder usage.

Malcolm
I belive that you need to make sure you use a gel compatible charger. Maybe that is also where i have been going wrong with my existing setup.

Here is a cheaper lifepo direct swap for my current setup
http://www.batterymasters.co.uk/mobile/ ... uded.-L(mm)-W(mm)-H(mm)-151-65-98_2248.aspx

And here a greater capacity at the same size, albeit about twics a comparable gel battery.
http://www.libertybatteries.com/12-volt ... -109-p.asp

Cheers
Cc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I charge the cheapo Batterys' Plus battery I use with a regular car battery charger on lowest setting... as I said, prob 15 years old....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reds:
When I charge my AGM battery I use a 1.5 amp charger (really a battery maintainer/charger) that I bought for my motorcycle. I have never had any problems with my AGM batteries running out of charge, nor have I had any longevity issues. My batteries are used all the time, and each time I use them I put them back on the maintainer/charger, usually for overnight. Same are recharged in the morning. I also leave them on charge continuously as the maintainer shuts off when batteries are charged, and recycles if the battery needs a shot of energy.
I wouldn't charge an AGM with a car charger as they put out too many amps for an AGM. You'll shorten the life right out of them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

LOL... as I said... car type battery charger set on 2 amps... been doing it for 15 or so years with SAME two batteries... couple of hours and they're good to go - never charge them overnight..... don't think it's shortened the life too much ;) and I've let these batteries sit for years without even touching them. My point, good little batteries for 1/3rd the price - and I certainly don't recommend abusing them the way I do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Reds:
I agree. AGM's are great. Have one and am about to buy another.