Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hypothermia was one problem I did not expect to see this year. It has been warm and the water is warm.

At least, most would tell you so. I think "warm" water means any water above 80 degrees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It will get you over here, with 80 deg water too. We still have to dress accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Further comment on the WaterTribe forum about SirTackalot's partner--airlifted very ill to Marathon. These remarks are from Dorsalis, who dropped when his Mirage Drive lost a pedal shaft. Dorsalis (aka Chip Southerland) is a physician located north of Miami.
Quote:
Congratulations SirTackALot!

On making it to the finish!

So sorry to read of Alex suffering from rhabdomyolysis. It is indeed a dangerous condition and occurs from massive muscle damage, sustained most often in crushing soft tissue injures. However, it is also known to occur from extreme muscle activity during intense endurance events. It will take a couple of days to dialize him and get his electrolytes back in to balance. As hard as it must have been, it was certainly the best thing for him to be evacuated.

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday!

Dorsalis (aka Chip Southerland)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nothing much has changed from last night regarding AI/TIs.

Early this morning, winds at Cape Sable are 18 knts, gusting to 22 knts, out of the west. It will be a downwind run today for the AIs (AhMaChamee & Juzcuz.) There are 2 TIs (Kraken/WY Wolf and Dietireds) that should not have any trouble although they may have to wait on the rising tide in the afternoon.

There are still many kayakers north of Flamingo anywhere from a few miles to 30-40 miles. While the EC is referred to as an 8 day race, apparently, competitors have until Sunday at noon to finish. 9 days plus. I don't have a problem with that. The Sunday finishers will miss the Finish Ceremonies & Brunch on Saturday, Mar 8, at 11 AM. That will be too bad.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Official times to Key Largo Finish:
Competitors.............................................Finish Time.................................Route

SirTackAlot and WindWatcher TI..............4 Days, 9 Hours, 57 min..............Outside around Cape Sable
    PedalOn and Sherlock TI........................4 Days, 9 Hours, 57 min..............Outside around Cape Sable
    ChumBucket and Trisherpa TI.................4 Days, 11 hours, 24 min.............Wilderness Waterway including Nightmare
    Dogslife AI........................................4 Days, 14 Hours, 3 min..............Wilderness Waterway including Nightmare
    Triman TI.........................................4 Days, 17 hrs, 16 min..................Outside around Cape Sable
    PrivateHam and Jimbo TI......................4 Days, 17 Hours, 23 min...........Outside around Cape Sable
    PenquinMan TI...................................5 Days, 5 Hours, 43 min...............Wilderness Waterway including Nightmare
    BackwaterBob TI.................................5 Days, 6 Hours, 22 min..............Outside around Cape Sable
    Pelican and Falcon TI...........................5 Days, 7 Hours, 22 min..............Wilderness Waterway including Nightmare

Juzcuz............................................at Palm Key................................Outside around Cape Sable
    AhMaChamee AI.................................at Flamingo ramps.......................Outside, but went in to Whitewater Bay
    Dietired and Dietired 2.........................at Flamingo ramps.......................Outside, but went in to Whitewater Bay
    Kraken & WyomingWolf........................at MidCape.................................Outside around Cape Sable

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith,
Sadly the Triman issue brings back some memories of the story of Donald Crowhurst...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -lies.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With that much wind out of the west, there's really no such thing as a low tide on the Gulf Coast of FL, including FL Bay. It will be deep enough to have nasty, steep chop. A great day for a wet AI sleigh ride! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom--The strong winds from the west will blow water back into eastern FL Bay. That will be great for the AI/TIs today. They should all finish.

Update: The AIs (AhMaChamee, Juzcuz) are beginning to move across the mud flats. The tandem mixed TI teams (Dietireds & Kraken/WY Wolf) are sleeping in this morning. Why not? It should be a relatively easy day for them. The only problem for these competitors is that they may not be familiar with the routes usually taken across the flats. AhMaChamee took his AI across 2 yrs ago, but it is all new to the others. Hopefully, the winds (NW 18 knts, gusting to 20) will blow enough water into the eastern bay, they will be able to glide over most of the flats.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The other problem they may experience is that the bay will be stirred up enough that the usually-visible flats will be harder to see.

But if it's deep enough to just go over them all, it won't matter. They may well have that much water.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little update on this the 7th day of following AI/TIs in the EC2014.

Kraken/WY Wolf are still hunkered down a bit north of MidCape. The winds are about 20 knts out of the NW. While I'm surprised they have not moved out, that shoreline is taking the brunt of these winds. They may be playing it safe. There is no way to contact them other than to send a Park boat out there.

The Dietireds (aka Denise & Joshua) are about 1/2 way across the mud flats, but it is now low tide. I think they are temporarily stuck. With the winds back around in the NW some of the water may be blown out of the bay, and, that aspect will only get worse as the winds swing around to more northerly. Hopefully, they will be able to move later as the weak tide starts to come in, but they may be running on skinny water for the rest of the mud flats. I can hear the on-board conversation. "Does it lessen your weight to eat the last of the M&Ms?" "I don't know." "Maybe we should...." "Throw over the M&Ms? Never!" Hopefully they have plenty of clothes to keep warm. We will watch them to see when they start to move again.

The AIs (AhMaChamee, Juzcuz) got an earlier start and are across the mud flats into deeper water. At about 3 pm today they have about 10-15 mi to the finish with favorable, strong winds.

Sundance & daughter GoldenSun must have left very early today and scooted across the mud flats while the wind was out of the west and the tide was still up a bit. They are passing over a shoal, but, if they can get across that, it is a 3 mi straight shot to the Finish at Bay Cove Motel--where all the WTers are waiting to welcome them.

Summary: Hopefully, Kraken/WY Wolf can get moving soon, and the Dietireds get off the mud. All others are making good progress and will finish before dark. Kraken/Wolf may wait until tomorrow to make the final crossing--or we may have to go out and see if they need any help. Presumably the ATT communications tower is still non-functional after yesterday's storm.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dietireds are off the mud flat into deeper water. Kraken/Wolf are still hunkered up out at MidCape. AhMaChamee has been taking a rest break on a shoal near deeper water. Dtds & AMC will finish today. Sundance/daughter and Juzcuz have finished. At the end of the day, we will only have Kraken/Wolf out there. The winds are affecting Kraken/Wolf and, probably, their decision making.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
Of course. In any case, it is up to Chief to verify that someone did the EC when they claimed they did, but did not show up on the Mapper. This guy, Triman, seems very suspicious. The only way to verify is if someone else can vouch for them--that they saw them on the route. That is a little easier when kayaking with dozens of others on the inside WW route. I think it is much more difficult if it is an AI/TI traveling alone on the outside. In this case your SPOT needs to be tracking properly.

Why are their so many Tandem Islands whose SPOT did not track at all during the race--at least 4?

Are Tandem Island owners less tech savvy than almost all other WTers?

I've decided to quit trying to follow TI competitors who have not shown up on any route during the EC. No evidence that they have done the EC from my point of view. I don't know how Chief enforces the rules--I think he has been fairly lenient relying on an honor code.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I have a question regarding SPOT tracking myself, maybe you can shed some light on this.
I properly registered my SPOT, created a "Shared Page" and verified with Chief That all was done properly. Yet, I didn't show up on the Map Tracker. However, my family and friends were able to follow my entire journey:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... LKZ7boybIa

Honestly, I was personally disappointed that my track was not listed with the others and I hope someone comes up with a way to resolve this. If you are aware of a way to do this, please share. I want to thank you for posting updates here as well. Being a 2014 Rookie, a lot of lessons were learned. Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

~Butch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Juzcuz (AI) is into the finish. The Dietireds are 8 mi SW of the finish and on a port tack. Winds are still in 17-18 knts range out of the NNW--they have begun their inevitable shift to the north, then back to the prevailing direction E and ESE. I think AhMaChamee (AI) loves to spend the night in eastern FL Bay. There is lots of fish/bird action during the night, but, with the winds so strong, it may not be so enjoyable. He will probably push to the finish tomorrow morning; although, he could travel at night if he has a good route to follow on his GPS. I may be there tomorrow morning if he arrives then.

Our last boat (TI) with the husband/wife team, Kraken/Wolf, is still out near Middle Cape--the middle point on Cape Sable. It is unlikely that they will make the ceremonies in Key Largo tomorrow morning. Too bad, because I was hoping to see them. The wind is supposed to begin to weaken some, so I expect to see them begin to make their move, either this evening or early tomorrow morning. I'm sure they are getting restless out on the Cape. I have camped with them on the Cape, so they are familiar with the area.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Butch,

Yeah, I don't know what the problem was/is. Some have said that the SPOT 3 did not show up on the Mapper. The Mapper shows a training run you did on the 26th and then, again, it shows you down near Placida on Mar 2, but that was the end of it. It is hard to understand, like in the case of Triman, his SPOT (model ?) seemed to only be on at checkpoints, when it was always on. Then it would be on at the next checkpoint--weird and suspicious.

Did you ever see any other AI/TIs? Did you talk to them during the EC?

If it was a problem where SPOT 3s did not report properly, that is very unfortunate, because it is fun for us armchair WTers to follow everyone, see how they are doing, where they are sleeping, when they made the wrong turn (if they are in the more complex Wilderness Waterway/Nightmare), etc.

Maybe, but don't count on it, it will be straightened out by next year.

In any case, CONGRATULATIONS! You have done your first EC!

You will be at the ceremonies tomorrow morning, right?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith - you missed your calling as an announcer. GREAT job with the coverage

.. may I ask why you are not a participant ?

As to hypothermia - I've started to feel the onset after sailing all day in beautiful sunshine followed by a rough wet windy ride 2 hrs home without any layers to put on

The wind and wet are a terrible combination sometimes.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next