Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lacing Tramps
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone replaced the straps on their tramps with lacing?

Last edited by Herbaldew on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lacing Tramps
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried it but the rope would stretch once wet and things would sag. Took a fair amount of rope and I think more than a minute or two to lace it up. My dealer showed me upgraded (bigger) webbing straps. they are almost twice the width of what I had on my 2012 TI. But they are I think, $13 per. I think you would need five or six for each side. Adds up quick. I hardly use my tramps so I am not willing to invest that much cash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sharrissmith wrote:
I tried it but the rope would stretch once wet and things would sag.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on using Spectra or Dyneema if I tried it and that should solve that problem. I was also planning on installing grommets but realized that probably wouldn't be good. It would put all the force just on the grommets rather than being spread out over the width of the tramp via the rod that the original straps go around. Maybe just melting a hole next to that rod for each place that the lace went through would be better?

My goal is for my first mate to be able to deal with the tramps on her own. As it is, with the buckles "almost" tight enough, she can't pull the strap any tighter after installing them. Nor can I without the use of a tool to get a better grip which would likely damage the straps. With the buckles tight enough, she can't snap them together to start with and I find it very difficult.

I do have another idea that I will try tomorrow (it's looking like an outing is possible after months of glaciation lol)...that is to loosen the straps all the way before installing the tramps. Then after installing them, pulling them tight all in one motion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have trampas (I'm too heavy), but I found an article with several ways to get your tramps tighter. The author, Josh Holmes, is a bit of an Aussie AI legend, has worked at Hobie Aussie HQ and currently works for a dealer in another State. His website "www.modernkayakfishing.com" contasins a wealth of info.

http://modernkayakfishing.com/articles/ ... imitstart=
Good luck!