Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchoring the PA14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Relatively new to kayak fishing. I bought a PA14 last summer but only had it in the water a couple of trial runs. I've picked up some needed accessories and getting ready for summer.
One of my big questions is anchoring. Would like some advice on what works best and which way to set up.
I know that the mini powerpole is the big thing, but I can't afford that right now. Looking for best way to hold the boat in place in current.
Appreciate any help.

Post subject: Re: Anchoring the PA14
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I personally don't like the stake-out poles.... prob 100 others will argue the opposite... best advice is to try all the different possibilities and do what's best for you. I like the small folding type anchor with an attached bouy. In current, even with a SO pole on your anchor trolley, keep a sharp knife handy... current can bog you down and next thing you know you're keel up or waist deep.... I lean toward making my own anchorage devices, anchor trolley, anchor line / bouy / anchor configurations.. lot cheaper and usually better made and easier to replace... if I ever get the wild hair for a stake-out pole - prob make that, too..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used a 3 pound grappling anchor for the past and have been happy with it's performance. At first I tried the 1.5 pound but it did not hold my PA-12 in the wind. The key is a short piece 18" to 24" of chain between the anchor and rope (I use para cord)
this anchor is light and stores well. Do a search on Amazon.com for (3 pound grappling anchor)
Also make sure you set up the anchor to break-away in case it gets hung p on something big.
If you don't already have an anchor trolley I would strongly recommend installing one weather it's Hobie's or a DIY set-up. It really helps position our kayak when fishing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I also use a folding anchor with para-cord. I wind 100' of the cord on the YakAttack Sidewinder and side it into the GearTrack on the mounting board. I used it a few times this year fishing for perch in 15 to 20 feet of water. I also have the Hobie anchor trolley which helps to orientated the boat in windy or high current conditions. I also use a YakAttack 8' ParknPole. I find the pole very handy when launching in shallow water or parking in shallow water. The pole stores nicely analog side the boat attached to the carry handle.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a big fan of the Bruce style anchors, mine's worked everywhere I've ever deployed it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You could check out Cooper anchors... They are plastic so light weight and wouldn't scrape or ding things like metal might. I like it better than a fold up one I tried and returned but I think it depends on the type of ground you plan on anchoring over. I'm not sure of the price point though... But shipping across a border added to the cost of mine.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My first recommendation is to install an anchor trolley. That way you can anchor from either front or rear. I also installed a pulley system with cam lock on the front fitting to anchor from just the front. This anchor is primarily used to position my boat crosswind or crosscurrent for easier casting. The anchors themselves are just a simple dumb bell in 10 or 12 pound size. They are cheap, covered in plastic, and available at any sporting goods store. Just cut the handle off, drill a hole in each of the ends, and attach a small eye bolt with some type of epoxy. The individual weights are enough to hold a kayak steady in light winds or current. For stronger winds/current I just attach two and have not had a problem. The only problem I could imagine would be if the bottom is solid and the round anchors can't grab anything. I used to have a folding grappling anchor, but it now lies at the bottom of the bay when it hung up on something that would not release it regardless of what I tried. My experience with the stake out pole was not much better. I could never get the boat pointed the direction I wanted, and if there was a current or wind, I was constantly rotating back and forth. Anchoring front and rear stops that and there is no muddy pole that pulls out in a strong wind or current. I also fish both shallow and deeper water, so I still needed an anchor system along with the pole. Was just one more thing in the boat.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found this quite helpful.

http://www.yakangler.com/how-to-paddlin ... ng-a-kayak

I use the stake out pole for shallow tidal creeks ... say 1 to 5 feet. I use the Cooper anchor (little Red) for deeper than that. Both are on an achor trolley so that I am able to control my position in wind & tide.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In South Florida, I use a "grapnel" style anchor as a last resort.....good way to scare of Reds and most everything else I'm after.
Through the years I've used several types of stakeout poles- DIY, Wang, Stick-it Pin & the YakAttack 6' Park-n-Pole.

Currently I use the 8' Park-n-Pole for anchoring & poling the PA12 across the flats, anything deeper than 7' I'll revert to the 3.5lb anchor.

A stakeout pole used in conjunction with a quality anchor trolley is the way to go IMO.

Note- I use a DYI trolley that I've installed on some 10 kayaks of various brands with great results, but there's something to be said about the simple install of the Hobie Pro Angler Anchor Trolley Kit! Image