Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been thinking about doing a seadek kit for my PA14 for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. What would really help me pull the trigger is for those who have the kit to tell me about their satisfaction, as well as how many millimeters thick their kits are. Thanks guys! this is Pretty much a branch thread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
I've been thinking about doing a seadek kit for my PA14 for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. What would really help me pull the trigger is for those who have the kit to tell me about their satisfaction, as well as how many millimeters thick their kits are. Thanks guys! this is Pretty much a branch thread

I'll try to answer your questions. If you get a single color kit (one off the website) the padding is 5mm thick. If you get a 2 color custom kit, the total thickness is 6mm as they sandwich two 3mm layers to make the 2 color padding. SeaDek offers padding up to 20mm thick. I'm sure that thickness is used for Helm station pads and other marine applications that require thicker material. They do not like to use the black color as a top color. Any other color is available as a top color for a 2-color project. I've seen 3 and 4 color versions of padding they make that look great. Talk to Paige Brewer and she will gladly answer all your questions.

I love the SeaDek as it totally changes the feel of the decking. You do not get the impression you are stepping on a plastic deck. The material helps to reduce sounds from movement and objects striking the deck surface. I have yet to see where I did not have great footing (either barefoot or with shoes) when the decking gets wet. I have the micro-dot pattern on the surface of my SeaDek. You can get it in a smooth surface as well. Water beads up on the material and does not get absorbed by it.

I am in the PA several times a week for hours fishing. So far I have had zero issues with cleaning the SeaDek after each outing. If I have fish blood, Cyprus gum or anything that does not wash off easily with soap and water, I use a little Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover and a small stiff hand brush and whatever had dried on from being in the sun all day comes off easily. Hope this helps you out.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
fishwhisperer619 wrote:

I'll try to answer your questions. If you get a single color kit (one off the website) the padding is 5mm thick. If you get a 2 color custom kit, the total thickness is 6mm as they sandwich two 3mm layers to make the 2 color padding. SeaDek offers padding up to 20mm thick. I'm sure that thickness is used for Helm station pads and other marine applications that require thicker material. They do not like to use the black color as a top color. Any other color is available as a top color for a 2-color project. I've seen 3 and 4 color versions of padding they make that look great. Talk to Paige Brewer and she will gladly answer all your questions.

I love the SeaDek as it totally changes the feel of the decking. You do not get the impression you are stepping on a plastic deck. The material helps to reduce sounds from movement and objects striking the deck surface. I have yet to see where I did not have great footing (either barefoot or with shoes) when the decking gets wet. I have the micro-dot pattern on the surface of my SeaDek. You can get it in a smooth surface as well. Water beads up on the material and does not get absorbed by it.

I am in the PA several times a week for hours fishing. So far I have had zero issues with cleaning the SeaDek after each outing. If I have fish blood, Cyprus gum or anything that does not wash off easily with soap and water, I use a little Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover and a small stiff hand brush and whatever had dried on from being in the sun all day comes off easily. Hope this helps you out.

You must be a salesman haha my mind is set :mrgreen: what would you say is the ultimate difference between dimpled and smooth? I want the aqua camo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishwhisperer619 wrote:

You must be a salesman haha my mind is set :mrgreen: what would you say is the ultimate difference between dimpled and smooth? I want the aqua camo.

On the solid colors the smooth finish came across as lightly streaked and not completely solid. If you're getting a camo pattern I do not believe that would be a concern. Here's what the camel color I chose looks like in the other finish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58766789@N03/12819818824

I have not seen a pure solid smooth surface. You can ask Paige at SeaDek about it. I like the micro dots as they give the decking a little more character...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The "solid" ones on that flickr link look like brushed wood. Actually looks pretty cool like that. But I think ill go with the dimples, not sure how those streaks will look with the camo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
The "solid" ones on that flickr link look like brushed wood. Actually looks pretty cool like that. But I think ill go with the dimples, not sure how those streaks will look with the camo

You should not have those streaks with a camo pattern. Just verify with Paige at SeaDek. The camo with micro dots (dimples) should look very nice.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fishwhisperer619 wrote:

My kit has not been delivered yet, but what I found most helpful (besides Steve's pictures and personal knowledge base) was a series of YouTube videos that SeaDek has done. If you go to the SeaDek Home page, click on the YouTube window on the upper right side of the page, it will start a series of videos that are extremely helpful in learning about the product. Most of the videos are about the various uses of the product, not specifically about kayaks but they do show how to apply it, how to keep it clean, and even how to replace the pads if that need arises in the future.

Richard Laughlin

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Baron2744 wrote:
fishwhisperer619 wrote:

My kit has not been delivered yet, but what I found most helpful (besides Steve's pictures and personal knowledge base) was a series of YouTube videos that SeaDek has done. If you go to the SeaDek Home page, click on the YouTube window on the upper right side of the page, it will start a series of videos that are extremely helpful in learning about the product. Most of the videos are about the various uses of the product, not specifically about kayaks but they do show how to apply it, how to keep it clean, and even how to replace the pads if that need arises in the future.

Richard Laughlin

Thanks Richard I will definitely look into that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just placed my order for the micro dot aqua camo. I think it'll look nicely on a yellow PA, but I might be biased to those colors.... CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How much weight do the seadek mats add to the kayak?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Xi Bowhunter wrote:

Different kayaks have different layouts so it varies but I don't think it'll be more than a pound? I've never used seadek before so my opinion could be way off

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Xi Bowhunter wrote:

I can give you a guess or approximate weight. Each of my custom kits with the packaging was about 9 pounds. So I would guess around 7.5-8 pounds since some of what is shipped are cutouts that are not installed.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow I was way off haha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Xi Bowhunter wrote:

I can give you a guess or approximate weight. Each of my custom kits with the packaging was about 9 pounds. So I would guess around 7.5-8 pounds since some of what is shipped are cutouts that are not installed.

Thanks for the info! Nice to know. I think I'll pass on adding any extra weight to my PA, but it sure does look nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fishwhisperer619 wrote:
Just placed my order for the micro dot aqua camo. I think it'll look nicely on a yellow PA, but I might be biased to those colors.... CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!

fishwisperer....I would really be appreciative if you could post a picture of the aqua camo on yellow. I have a yellow (mango Hobie says) & just ordered some samples to see if that would help me make up my mind.