Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello Folks,

I have two H16 masts, but one has a single holed mast tang and the other a multi holed one.
What is the reason for this, is it just a case of one mast been a later design model that the other, or is there more to it than this, such as single / double trap support?

Talking of traps, can the single holed tang, support double trap?

Kind Regards,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also am wondering on this issue. I added a double trap to my 1977. I used an oversized bow shackle to accommodate all the space needed for the top ends of my shrouds and trap lines. I then filled the open space on the shackle pin with washers to ensure permanent placement of the shackle centered on the mast. I did this at the end of last season and have not tested it out yet.

So I would also like to know if it is ok/safe to double trap off of a single mast tang.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The original Hobie 16 mast had a single-hole tang, like the Hobie 14. The idea was to keep it simple and use similar, if not identical parts between the two boats in production at that time.

However, the original 14 did not have a trapeze, and most people ended up putting a second trapeze on the 16. While possible, this put a lot of stress on the one hole mast tang. The hole would elongate and eventually break out - which would be a really bad day on the water.

In the late '70s the Hobie 16 mast tang was changed to the three-hole tang to spread the stresses out. Standing rigging on the lowest hole; trapezes on the upper smallest hole (the biggest hole is for the body of the trapeze shackle to pass through - it doesn't have anything attached to it).

So, the short answer to your question (can a single-hole tang support a double trapeze?) is, yes, but not forever. You need to check the tang frequently for wear.

You don't need an oversized shackle to add a double trapeze. One solution is to put the second trap wires on the pin of the shackle, like this:
(That's a 14's rig, but the principle is the same.)

The other way to do it is to have the trapeze wires be continuous - the skipper/crew wires on one side are the same wire, with only one thimble at the mast tang.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks very much for this explanation.

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)