Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Fills With Water
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a H-16 that I found cheap on craigslist, it is not in very good condition. I have successfully sailed it three times, and then decided that it really needs some repair. Every time I have sailed, the cat has capsized, and my friend and I are not able to right the boat with our righting line because the mast (just the comp-tip part) fills with water. After this it became to cold so the cat sat for a few months when I returned there was still water in the mast. So I pulled of the mast head and poked a hole (about 1 1/2 feet) through the foam at the top and drained all the water out. I have also noticed, when the main sheet is up, that there is a slight bend where the aluminium and comp-tip meet. First, how do I separate the comp-tip from the rest of the mast? Second, how do I go about repairing the small cracks on the comp-tip and then seal it up for good so that I can right my boat. I have been thinking to just fill the entire comp-tip with expanding foam and then putting a couple sheets of fiberglass on the out side and then epoxying the comp-tip back in, not sure if this would make the tip to heavy or if the expanding foam would crack the tip. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The spray foam will absorb water. maybe stuff a pool noodle up there!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out where the mast is leaking. Figure out a way to (lightly) pressurize the comptip and then spray it with soapy water. Once the leak points are found, you can grind out any cracks and repair with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. You may not even need to remove the comptip from the mast. If the leaks are just at rivet locations, you may be able to just remove and replace the rivets using a new silicone caulk.

I wouldn't fill the entire mast with foam. It will add weight which will just make the boat more difficult to right again.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It sounds like the leak is in the fiberglass comp tip only right? If you take the mast and push it under water do you see bubbles? That is the easiest way to locate the leak. Air has to come out for water to go in (assuming a cool mast and similar temp water). To fix it, first drain the mast completely. I am guessing it is leaking from the masthead plug because when you capsize, this is the only part that should be underwater for any period of time. Remember, the submerged mast is under pressure so as you pull it to the surface, water may be pushed out, but only until air has a chance to pass. So you right the boat and water stays in as the last pressurized air is purged. Then the non pressurized water just sloshes about and may slowly drip out.

So if all this is true, take off the masthead, drain the water and reseal it. Use 3M 5200 to seal it and you should be good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This weekend I put a plastic bag over the tip to seal it because I had already pulled the mast head off, and pushed the comp-tip underwater in my pool. I only saw a couple bubbles at the tip ( because my bag didn't hold to well), and a couple bubbles where the aluminum and comp-tip meet. So I think I am going to chip out the existing sealer at the joint and try to reseal it with the suggested sealer, same with the mast head. Do I need to replace the expanding foam section at the tip of the mast? does this have any purpose? or is it best to leave the entire thing as hollow as possible? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a foam plug, you can order a replacement. I would go that route before using expanding foam.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where do you suggest that I order parts from? I also need some batten tips and string.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Find a hobie dealer!!!!!!!!!!! Key Sailing, Sunjammers are just a few that I have dealt with....

http://www.hobiecat.com/dealers/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

holding the mast underwater sounds good but can be problematic in practice. There is a small air space between the mast sections that you may see some air from. I suggest using your drain hole to pressurize the comptip either with a compressor (not too much pressure, 3-5 lbs) or a friend inflating by mouth with a rubber hose. Then use soapy water and a paint brush to find the leaks. Check the seam down the front of the mast. If you have to, slide the track off and check that side too. I have seen a comp tip that leaked along the seams.

I have done this very successfully to find leaks in the hulls. Inflate hulls by mouth through the drain plug hole and check likely places with soapy water and brush.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is this hole for? There was a plug in it but it was rotten and chipped out. ithttp://s1358.photobucket.com/user/mat ... 0.jpg.html is right under the tang.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its a little hard to tell but if that's a button shaped plastic plug in the aluminum section under the tang and there is foam underneath then that is where the factory shot in the expanding spray foam to seal the mast.

If it's in the comp tip then someone has tried to seal the mast before. The factory seals the ends of the comp tip before assembling the mast so there are no plugs.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stop by my house some time and I give you an extra solid mast that doesn't leak...I have two extras if anyone in the Midwest needs one....bring beer..... 8)