Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am getting into my first pedal kayak and a local dealer has a new 2012 Revo 13 for $1500. Wondering if the savings from the 2014 is worth it.

Thanks,

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a really good price.....you could probably sell it for that used. The only significant difference is the 2014 is "Lowrance ready" making installing many depthfinders a snap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 2014 Revolution has a protected transducer pocket which makes it really easy to securely mount a fish finder transducer on the kayak, and it has through-the-hull fittings which make it really easy to run wires between your fish finder and a battery inside the kayak. 2014 Revolutions come with a bracket for mounting Lowrance transducers, but if you want to install a different brand of transducer, you can buy a bracket for that brand for a couple of bucks.

There are other ways to mount transducers on the 2012 model, including drainage hole scupper mounts (which won't protect the transducer as well as the covered pocket on the 2014 model), through-the-hull mounts (which generally deteriorate the performance of fish finders), and over-the-gunwale transducer arms (which may get in your way when paddling and landing fish, and usually need to be swung up every time you come into shore). There are additional costs and/or hassles with all of these methods of mounting transducers. Like you, I could have saved a couple hundred bucks by buying a 2013 Revolution rather than a 2014 Revolution, but after considering the options for mounting transducers, I bought a 2014, and I'm really glad I did.

However, the 2012 Revolution will do fine (a) if you never intend to mount a fish finder on your Revolution, (b) if you have or intend to buy a fish finder with side imaging, which won't work well if the transducer is in the 2014 transducer pocket, or (c) if you want to assemble a complete fish finder/battery/transducer arm unit which mounts on the gunwale of your kayak and can quickly be moved from one kayak to the other.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've mounted so many transducers in shoot thru hull mode that I find it a 10 minute job these days. I wouldn't look twice at the newer one just because you can mount a transducer in a scupper hole. But that's just me - how handy are you with mounting electronics and other gear? If the answer is "not very", then you might want to look at the 2014. Otherwise, the older model is a great buy.

Post subject: Thank you for your help
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I feel convinced. Much appreciate this forum.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow that is a great deal , I would jump on it . I have never used a fish finder and never had issues with catching without one . The only reason I would buy one is if I was in really deep water trying to find structure , otherwise not worth it imo .

If you know the waters you fish and can read the water well you won't have any issues at all finding and catching fish. The Revo has been around a long time and millions have mounted fish finders effectively with them and all did it without the new feature .

If you were considering an 08 Revo I would of said wait to buy new because a lot of great upgrades happened with the 09 models but just a transducer option , no way, save the cash and buy that 2012.