Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings. I have issues with the stern of the Starboard Hull on an 18' Hobie where someone pulled the boat on shore without releasing the rudder. The back of the hull cracked and a body shop was not able to repair the leaking hull. Is there a source just for the back of a hull that I could buy or do you have any other suggestions for repair? The body shop guy was a hack and just coated the back with all sorts of fiber Glass and it's a heavy mess. In addition I'm looking for someone in the Mpls. Area who can help with repairs and re rigging issues as well as a line on a newer 18' or 20' Hobie. Thanks. Chris 763 434 4678

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have pics of the damage? Are you looking to do the repair yourself, or are you looking for someone that can do it for you?

sm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here it is. Not pretty. Unfortunately I'm short of time and expertise and looking for someone to do the work for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's really not that hard of a repair - but it needs to be done from the inside - an access port in the deck is easy.

It'll take longer to clean up the crap on the outside.

Where are you located? We can try to hook you up with a good glass guy.

(BTW, a good glass guy can do the repair in about a day - when it's warm - not when the boat's in the snow.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I repaired the same damage on my hull. Removing the previous mess was the biggest challenge....took a while shaping and sanding but you wouldn't even know. I guess making sure it's strong is the main thing and make sure your rudders release without needing too much force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great, thanks for the offer of helping someone to get her ready for this season. I am in Blaine, MN, a northern Suburb of Mpls. I have some other minor replacements and re rigging to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Chrismic wrote:
Great, thanks for the offer of helping someone to get her ready for this season. I am in Blaine, MN, a northern Suburb of Mpls. I have some other minor replacements and re rigging to do.

Let me e-mail a couple of people in the area to see what they say.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:10 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Here's what I got - I have no experience with either, but they come recommended:

Quote:
Tom Haberman at Aquarius Sail; Wyoming,MN. (Town north of St. Paul on i35). Used to build Supercats, probably still builds an occasional ARC so is very familiar with cat structural issues. Did nice work on my H20 - bow tang pulling through the side of the hull.

I've had non-structural work done at White Bear Boat Works. I know they repaired a friends F18 infusion structural problem and did it well. They used to build scows so are familiar with sailing repairs.

Both places will get really busy soon - now that the snow is starting to melt.

That came from Dave Mortenson. I got another recommendation for White Bear Boat Works, but also a warning that they're expensive. You get what you pay for. Really good glass guys are artists.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was real impressed with the repair on Daves H20. Looked real clean and proper. It was obvious Tom Haberman at Aquarius Sail knows his sh!t.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just dropped the boat off at Aquarius sail, and it looks like a fantastic operation. Indeed he still is building Super Cats. I'm sure he will do a great job mending my hull.. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got boat back from repair from Tom at Aquarious Sail in forest lake MN. He did a great job, and I'm ready to roll...