Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: specs on PA 14
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went to the Toronto boat show looking for a deal or more detail on the PAs. 2 dealers were there but I was disappoint and bought nothing and figured I may as well hit the web for better info.
I am fairly sure I want a 14 for the storage, increased tracking and it weighs about the same as the 12 so I can't see weight being a big deal.

The models change a bit every year and I have some newb questions:

1) Where can I find the detailed spec sheets? (Things like horizontal rod holder length)
2) is the H-Bar still popular with these newer PAs?
3) Is the turning radius relatively close to that of the PA12?
4) If I am mounting a side imaging Humminbird (or lowrance) am I still looking at an external mount for the transducer?

Post subject: Re: specs on PA 14
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey forFishing,

Sorry for your disappointment at the show, not sure what day you were there , but when it is busy a lot of people that are wanting info slip through the cracks. I am a member of the Hobie fishing team with Fogh Marine and would be more than happy to help you with any info and hopefully a purchase. Spec sheets can be found on the Hobie website but I don't think it has some of the finer details your looking for. H bar in Ontario is not very popular, I have only seen it on 1 PA. PA12 turn tighter than the 14 and they are all fishfinder ready, but there seems to be a problem with the connector on the Lowrance fitting through the wire ports in the hull.

Send me a pm and I will try my best to help you out.

Paul

http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/ Pro Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as the mounting of the transducer, especially SI (I run a 'bird 898cSIHD unit), I prefer hanging the transducer on an arm over the side. As far as I know you cannot shoot through the hull with a SI transducer it must be in the water and below or behind the hull affording a clear view to both sides. Mount it so it's easy to get to, to clear vegetation or raise it up when beaching or putting the kayak on the trailer. SI transducers are expensive so I don't want to hang it up or otherwise damage it by mounting it where I cannot raise it out of the water if need be. I have a 2012 PA-14 which did not have the pocket to mount a transducer under the hull but I think I would mount it the same way if I had a newer model PA. Answers about rod tubes, etc. I have on your other post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Bruce.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

paulwinkel wrote:
Hey forFishing,

Sorry for your disappointment at the show, not sure what day you were there , but when it is busy a lot of people that are wanting info slip through the cracks. I am a member of the Hobie fishing team with Fogh Marine and would be more than happy to help you with any info and hopefully a purchase. Spec sheets can be found on the Hobie website but I don't think it has some of the finer details your looking for. H bar in Ontario is not very popular, I have only seen it on 1 PA. PA12 turn tighter than the 14 and they are all fishfinder ready, but there seems to be a problem with the connector on the Lowrance fitting through the wire ports in the hull.

Send me a pm and I will try my best to help you out.

Paul

thanks...sent you a PM