Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm traveling to South Beach later this month for a business meeting and will have Saturday off. Am looking to rent a hobie on either Biscayne Bay, or drive the rental car down to Key Largo and rent one from Caribbean water sports. Any recommendations from people who have sailed in that area?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What would it be worth to rent a "as new" condition Hobie 16 in the Banderas Bay (PV) area of Mexico? The boats are all new and may be available for charter/clinics through the International Sailing Academy in La Cruz.

There have been inquiries about "Learn to Sail" programs and rentals.

If we decide to consider rentals, how should we qualify people before letting them sail?

When the thermal is on we get 12 - 18 knots onshore in the afternoons. This might be too challenging for novice sailors on H16's?

I've seen Getaways priced at $55.00 USD per hour ... a near new Hobie 16 should be $??.??

Cheers,

Randy

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jjchristop wrote:
Am looking to rent a hobie on either Biscayne Bay,

Miami Catamarans in Biscayne Bay were great when we went. There is a small thread on that: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41563.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Norm742 wrote:
jjchristop wrote:
Am looking to rent a hobie on either Biscayne Bay,

Miami Catamarans in Biscayne Bay were great when we went. There is a small thread on that: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41563.

@Norm742, Thanks! Gave them a call and sounds like they have quite a few Getaways and Waves to rent. I'll give it a try and post back about the quality of the boats. Any destinations in Biscayne Bay you'd recommend sailing to?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update. Rented a Getaway for 3 hours in Bisacayne Bay from Miami Catamarans. Boats were great. They appear to be heavily used and the crew is constantly replacing sails and tramps and rigging at regular intervals. I was talking to the owner and they started making their own tramps and own sails for the boats and sell them online as well. The rear tramps were very similar to the ones I see you can order through SLO Sail and Canvas with the wide weave.

Had 10-15 knot winds and a great time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know of a place to rent a wave on Oahu? We will be there spring break (March 9-14) and would love to do a little sailing. We have one we sail here in Texas and rented one in Key West and would love to find one in Hawaii. I did email Dan from the post regarding Waikiki so maybe he or someone can let us know. Thanks everybody.

Tim & Brentz
Cobra Sailing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ASDASC wrote:
I agree 100 percent. The really unfortunate thing is that this is a perfect way to introduce new sailors to the sport. Instead, they all walk away saying 'this sucks'. It's actually doing more harm to the sport than good.

I wonder if it would be manageable to have a Hobie certified list of resorts that we know will have decent boats when we book it. I admit that having hobie rentals included in the resort fee is what made me select this place. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to start a thread for good places and another thread listing places that don't.

This is exactly how I got involved. We stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace in Punta Cana DR late last summer. I spent one afternoon on one of their Waves and was hooked. It was a blast for a beginner, and the rigging was functional, so I was able to get an idea for trimming the sail and steering. I knew it was right when the tiller hummed in my hand, and i kept it far longer than allowed. They didn't seem to care as I was having a blast sailing up and down the coast inside the reef a mile offshore. When we returned home, I shopped around a bought a used 14 turbo and taught myself to use it.

I would certainly give priority to a resort that included better Hobies in their fleet, or a place that offered day charters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All great discussions; is there a list of resorts that have good catamarans? I found a couple of links to similar threads:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=48220&p=215399&hilit=resorts#p215399

http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/14045

http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/11789

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40501&hilit=resorts

I have had the same experiences mentioned on this site. At the Couples Tower Isle resort in Jamaica, the Hobie waves were in passable condition (because I brought my gloves). I could take the boats out in decent wind.

At a place called Bad Dogs, they had the no boat sailing in higher winds policy, so windsurfing was available. I did take out one of their monohulls during a low wind day. It was passable also, due to broken blocks on the main. http://www.baddogssurfclub.com/index_eng.html

In the med, we stayed at Iberotel in Sarigerme. I do not believe they had boats, but I did walk over to the locals beach and rented a Hobie 18, which was in good shape. The Hilton Dalaman Sarigerme Resort & Spa is next door to Iberotel, and they had an incredible fleet of catamarans (H16 I believe). Only open to their guests. The boats looked in excellent shape.

In the Dominican Republic at the hotel Iberostar Punta Cana, we had great sailing on some Hobie Waves. Wind was good, and equipment was better than most. Maybe 10 in the fleet. Excellent waves due to the reefs and good wind.

In St. Martin, Orient Beach, I took out a Wave in super high winds and surf. It was a wet and wild ride all the way. This was from the rental shop at the far southern end, past the nude beach. I cannot recall the name.

The comment about broken boats being bad for the sport is too true. And what is ironic is the Hobie Waves and club boats are meant to be super tough and simple for the operators, and super easy for the less experienced (there it is - the no-experienced).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Matt, we had so much fun for my birthday that my wife felt we needed to get back to the Keys for hers! You are right, Caribbean Watersports is awesome, we had a great time together on a Wave, and will try again tomorrow on the Getaway. Boats are well maintained and much newer!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk