Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Livewell Mod
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you're like me and you have a Hobie Livewell you know that as soon as you turn the pump off the water starts to drain. Hobie provides a plug for the pump but if the battery dies without you realizing it you can kiss your bait goodbye. Here's the spray bar that I just made to fit the livewell and solve the drainage problem. Here's what you need:

1x 3/4"x1/2" threaded/slip elbow
2x 1/2" slip elbows
and 2x sections of 1/2" pvc pipe

The 3/4" threaded elbow will screw directly onto the Tsunami Pump that comes standard with the livewell.

Post subject: Re: Hobie Livewell Mod
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was thinking more about your design. I am surprised the pump running at 6-volts can push the water up the line to the top of the tank. Have you tried this on the water yet and can get it primed?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That was my question too. I had a heck of a time priming my live well until I replaced the original hose extending it another inch. Im not sure that the tsunami at half speed/power can do this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They should really consider adding a check valve and primer bubble to prevent water from draining out of the tank and easier priming. After all, there is a drain tube in the livewell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MatRob88 wrote:
They should really consider adding a check valve and primer bubble to prevent water from draining out of the tank and easier priming. After all, there is a drain tube in the livewell.

I couldn't agree more, this is a great idea. Have you or someone else on this forum added a primer bulb and check valve? I think I may have to try it. it is a pain in the ass to prime the tank and keep water in the tank if you turn off the pump. I hate having to dig into the tank with that little fitting to keep the water from draining out when I have bait for panfish in the tank, especially when the water temperature is freezing cold.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jambone wrote:
MatRob88 wrote:

I couldn't agree more, this is a great idea. Have you or someone else on this forum added a primer bulb and check valve? I think I may have to try it. it is a pain in the ass to prime the tank and keep water in the tank if you turn off the pump. I hate having to dig into the tank with that little fitting to keep the water from draining out when I have bait for panfish in the tank, especially when the water temperature is freezing cold.

I have not done this myself, but have put a little thought into how I would go about doing so.

First thing to do is mount the pump higher in the tank. Connect the check valve to the flex tube, then the primer bulb between the check and pump. Prime the bulb until water starts coming out of the discharge of the pump, pull the switch, and you're done. The pump should stay primed as long as you're in the water. (With the check in place, it's pretty much the same concept as holding your finger over one end of a straw submerged in liquid).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The biggest problem with my idea is step #1. After that, it's extremely simple.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jambone wrote:
MatRob88 wrote:

The primer bulb I use has a check valve. I think it's 3/8" barbs. Keep it simple as possible, 1 female hose connector to a 3/8" hose barb, 6" piece of 3/8" soft hose, and the primer bulb. That's it. 2 squeezes and go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

the problem I have with mine is when I turn it off, it loses water from the bottom end of the pump. On another direction - buddy of mine was checking out the mirage drive system and he suggested rigging some kind of bellows up between the fwd part of the drive and the bow storage compartment... so as you pedaled you would be pumping air back thru a small line and into the livewell... I thought that was a pretty neat idea. Where I fish the air temp sometimes gets the water too hot for bait, so the constantly flowing fresh water is prob better... the worst part of the whole set-up to me is the noise from the pump... kind of irritating to me... kinda defeats the whole purpose of the kayak experience.... peace and quiet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jahaiap wrote:
Jambone wrote:
MatRob88 wrote:

The primer bulb I use has a check valve. I think it's 3/8" barbs. Keep it simple as possible, 1 female hose connector to a 3/8" hose barb, 6" piece of 3/8" soft hose, and the primer bulb. That's it. 2 squeezes and go.

jahaiap, could you post a picture of your setup? I think you sold me. I'm going to try to hunt down the primer bulb on Amazon, thanks.