Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAn I borrow a Trailer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

An old friend is giving me his Hobie Cat 16, and I need to move it from Saugatuck MI to Chicago. I don't have a trailer and I can't afford to buy a new one. I've been trying to find one to rent or borrow. Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wait for the ice to go off lake MI and sail it over, would be fun but probably not your best move.. Ok , maybe some real help for a one time move just look for any kind of trailer , get two 4X4 and use a U bolt to atach them across the trailer , make a little wooden saddle on each one and put some old carpet on them and you have a cat trailer. I did this with a speed boat trailer and then a small fishing boat trailer for my H16 and used them for years before I got a newer H18 with a nice trailer. I also bolted a 4x4 to the post that held the winch on the front of the trailers to hold the mast up above the car like the real cat trailers do.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What do you have for a vehicle? If a pickup truck, I'd just disassemble the boat and put it in the bed. Car and you could do it in two trips with it on the roof if disassembled. A utility trailer will work. The boat should weigh less then 400 pounds.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They're a little long to put in the pickup! I have carried a disassembled 16 on ladder racks before. Not the ideal transport, but in a pinch it works.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

not mine, looks like a PVC front mast support is in order ( google )…. but i've seen lots of crazy ways to move a H16. They disassemble easily then you can use you imagination :)
Theres a pic floating around somewhere with several H16's all apart and on top of different cars lol. If you we're anywhere near me in Memphis i'd let you use my trailer in a heartbeat :)
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a picture of me and my kids, 15 years ago. I thought I was the only one that had it. We called it the one with the most toys wins. Hobie 16, Hobie Hawk, Hobie kayak, bikes and a wife taking the picture. We hauled H16 and two kayaks on the roof for over twelve years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can borrow my trailer but I'm in Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Holy crap! That's a workout taking a 16 on and off the roof repeatedly! Not too bad in pieces, but a whole boat? :o :o

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Use the 4x4 trick on a U-Haul rental trailer. Props to Zach for the offer. The U-haul and 4x4's are cheaper then gas to Indy and back I bet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

paddlers2002 wrote:
Wait for the ice to go off lake MI and sail it over, would be fun but probably not your best move.. Ok , maybe some real help for a one time move just look for any kind of trailer , get two 4X4 and use a U bolt to atach them across the trailer , make a little wooden saddle on each one and put some old carpet on them and you have a cat trailer. I did this with a speed boat trailer and then a small fishing boat trailer for my H16 and used them for years before I got a newer H18 with a nice trailer. I also bolted a 4x4 to the post that held the winch on the front of the trailers to hold the mast up above the car like the real cat trailers do.

Jay

Can you post a picture of what the saddles would look like? This might work for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try to get a picture, not sure how to post it on here but can e mail it to you with the address you have listed here.. I still have that trailer but its not road worthy right now . I made pretty simple wooden saddles out of a 4x4 , just cut a v shapd notch in a pice of 4x4 that matched the hull close, then screwed it to the 4x4s running across the trailer and put carpet on them. It was for a H 16 so didnt have to be very wide like it would for a rounder hull shape.

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok thanks, I can picture that. Very simple!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Took a few days but I sent you a PM with some pictures.
Jay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, all. A quick search for Hobie 16' trailers led me to this thread. I've recently come to own a Hobie 16' under the condition that I produce a trailer and haul down to AL from VA. All I have is a truck at my disposal so I'm in a similar situation to the OP. Ya'll are saying I could simply retrofit a rented U-haul trailer with some 4x4's and carpet?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would think you could do that if its a long enough trailer, with a short one you really have to watch your turning radius. The mast is really the harder part. I hauled the mast on the roof rack of my suv once but the spread on the rack is not long enough to do that safe for a long rd trip. I will send you the pictures of the trailer with the 4x4s on it, maybe it will give you an idea. Might be some way to clamp or bolt a mast tower to the uhal trailer.
Jay