Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crew Needed for MWE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm looking for someone to crew with me on my Hobie 16 at Mid Winter's East, Ocean Springs, MS, April 4-6, 2014. The boat is almost new, the skipper's got a few miles on him. We'll finish about mid-pack and fun is guaranteed. This skipper doesn't yell at his crew, safety is paramount. Some sailing experience would be good but I'm not looking for a rock star. If you are coming down to race at MWE and have an extra member of your group, this would be a good way to keep them occupied. If you've got a youth sailor in your club that would like to get some experience, this would be a good opportunity. I have a youth wet suit and spray gear that fits a 15 year old boy, 5'7'' 150 lbs, if that won't fit then you'll need to find some gear that will. Entry fee is 100% on me and I'll include your T-shirt and meals at the club. If you are interested or know someone who is, shoot an email to [email protected].

Let's go racing!!

Mark Van Doren

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject: Re: Crew Needed for MWE
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:50 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mark - hit up the folks at Ocean Springs YC - they have a great junior program and can probably match you up with someone. Judi Altman (she's the contact for the event - and has two younger boys of her own).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Got a crew!! See you at MWE. Jerome (aka Rattle n' Hum) came through and paired me up with one of his buddies from Jackson. Looking forward to getting my butt kicked again!!

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Damn thats great! MVD, i'm bringing my H20, crew and a wetsuit!! Your H16 looks amazing!
Did Jerome tell you about Spring Fling in Jackson MS??? April 12-13?
Would love to sail with you, obviously behind ya :D You guys are gonna kick butt!!
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Tim,

I'm glad you're going to make it to MWE, looking forward to meeting you. I just checked the online registration and saw that presently only two H20's are preregistered. If you preregister, that would make three and maybe that would be enough to entice some other 20's to make the trip. Sometimes these things pick up momentum like a snowball rolling down hill. Here's the link to the preregistration site: http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/ ... 18NORs.pdf.

I'll miss Spring Fling simply because I don't have the time to make it from Knoxville to Mississippi on two consecutive weekends, but I'm glad that you are getting out there and competing. You'll love racing the 20. It's a smooth ride. Be warned though, most of the other competitors on the 20 have been on that boat for a long time and it's tough for a newbie to be competitive initially. It's very frustrating at times. You've got to have thick skin to hang in there to gain the experience that you'll need to be competitive. Savor the good things that you do and look at mistakes or the times you don't finish well as learning opportunities. On the positive side, I've never sailed against another 20 sailor that I didn't like. They're a great bunch of people and will be eager to welcome you to the fleet and show you all the little tricks to setting up the 20.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I won't be competing on my H20, ( not registered ) just there for cruises, spending money at OSYC and hanging out with other sailors.... might not ever race my 20. I'm too fat for a 16 at 220# to sail with any crew and there's no H20 class races within 900 miles of me, so basically its only my love of my 20' Hobie cruiser as far as I'm concerned. I'm a recreational sailor but I've gotten 4 new active hobie sailors the last few years so I'm happy :D
It's the hobie way of life that i'm drawn to, not the 60yo+ guys that compete with Hobies and/or bad mouth everyone else or switch to NACRA.
I'm focused on getting interested people into sailing on a hobie catamaran every weekend ( lots ) racing at this point is #50 om my list of things to push.

Its hard to get sailors when a jetski will do 60mph with the dads credit card.................. i'm trying.

Memphis, TN fleet 134

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tim,

I believe Spring Fever has been canceled for this year. I've read I on thebeachcats.com and the Spring Fever 2014 website.
I'll see you at MWE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

"Spring Fling" is a totally different regatta. It's in Jackson MS. Not cancelled at all :0)
Details and NOR here:

http://www.jacksonyachtclub.com/Racing/ ... FINAL.aspx

Memphis, TN fleet 134

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fxloop wrote:

Its hard to get sailors when a jetski will do 60mph with the dads credit card.................. i'm trying.

Go get em! They are teachable! And adventure sports are booming!

Let's do this!

Sent from my stone tablet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fxloop wrote:
"Spring Fling" is a totally different regatta. It's in Jackson MS. Not cancelled at all :0)
Details and NOR here:

http://www.jacksonyachtclub.com/Racing/ ... FINAL.aspx

I feel like an idiot now. I just saw "Spring" and Fling and Fever both start with an F.