Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New seat 2014
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
One thing I've noticed, all these boats with these new framed, higher seats, flip over a lot easier.
I guess Hobie will have to follow market trends, but after trying a couple boats with these new type seats, I'll stick with the older models.

I'm with you Tom, I kayak fish offshore, and if it raises my COG, I want no part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to be able to stand up (with a leaning post) to fish in my Revo-13. I'm an older guy and can't stand up from the low Revo seat... I need to have my butt about eight or nine inches higher than my feet in order to shift my weight enough to stand. I'm not interested in going offshore or even in very rough water, but I'm wondering if such a configuration would be practical, using sidekicks for added stability. Thoughts...?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fish-it:
I have a feeling a pa is in your future, especially if your not planning to go offshore ( where in my opinion a revo can roll with the conditions a little better).
However a set of removable sidekicks, and a pole stuck into the mast holder pocket ( something to hold onto for stability)might do the trick for you.
My 18 yr old could easily stand up in our revo with no Side kicks, I tried it and was in the water in less than 5 seconds (sucks getting older lol).
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fish-It wrote:
I would like to be able to stand up (with a leaning post) to fish in my Revo-13. I'm an older guy and can't stand up from the low Revo seat... I need to have my butt about eight or nine inches higher than my feet in order to shift my weight enough to stand. I'm not interested in going offshore or even in very rough water, but I'm wondering if such a configuration would be practical, using sidekicks for added stability. Thoughts...?

I know what you mean when you want to modify the kayak you have and love, and this is just my opinion, but you're asking too much from a Revo.
An Outback, on the other hand, would get you instantly closer to your goal since its wider, more stable, and people are now modifying them to accept aftermarket [elevated] seats. I've stood in both without sidekicks, so I know its possible, but I just can't imagine casting from the deck of a Revo, even with sidekicks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello,

I have a PA12. It's a good kayak but it has two problems: too heavy and not stable.

For me the best kayak is the Outback. The only thing negative is the seat, as there is water left when a it's windy.

If I could put a seat like the Wilderness or the Jackson, it would be paradise.

So I'd like to know where I can buy a Jackson seat, and eventually a wilderness seat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

A few things that may help keep the straps tight:

1. Have you tried adding one or two triglides/strap adjusters to the side straps to keep them from slipping? Works for me.

2. You could also try adding a couple #10 SS machine screws & washers (melted) thru the webbing - assuming you have the straps exactly where you want them! Thats actually how the seat pad for the inflatable boats is attached to the standard hobie seat back since there aren't peg holes.

3. Thought of adding about 6" of hook & loop sewn inside the straps below the strap adjusters to prevent slippage & neaten things up.

I have bulging lumbar discs & a partially paralyzed right leg, so back support is crucial. I changed to a Skwoosh high back seat on top of the Hobie seat pad & it's much more comfortable. The extra 2" of back height, lumbar pad, & wrap around design are much better for me. I think the thin "spine" on the Hobie seats allows way too much twist when pedaling. Maybe that's good for paddling, but paddling is the last thing I'll try right before I call for a tow. :)

Last edited by Gas Yakker on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

felvic wrote:
Hello,

I have a PA12. It's a good kayak but it has two problems: too heavy and not stable.

Huh :roll: Not stable :?:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Huh :roll: Not stable :?:

The PA14 is a boat, but the PA12 is rolling on itself...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gas Yakker:
Thanks for that, I've just been ignoring the problem and it seems to be getting worse on my back, one day of enjoyment out on the water works out to 4 days of back pain it seems every weekend. I will look around for something taller with better side support, but in the meantime I will seriously work on some means to fix the straps from slipping, thanks for the suggestions.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fish-It :
Even though the Revo 13 is my favorite of all the Hobie mirage line, I think Jcanracer has a point, though the revo is a nimble fast racing machine (how many other kayaks bank on the turns ( LOL), a standup able boat for us older fellows it is not. Probably even with sidekicks and a cane stuck in the mast holder pocket, though I haven't tried it, I have a feeling I would get wet anyway.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The intended use certainly plays a huge role in the type seat that can be used. I doubt any of the newer framed type seats would work well in a bonafide sea kayak. For the Pro Angler, it's fine and even preferred. I wouldn't want one in my AI or TI, but that's just me.

I mentioned the Phase 3 seat a couple times before because due to its vast adjustment rage it manages to work very well in a number of different type kayaks. It remains far from outdated.

It seems to me that we're going full circle in terms of "fishing kayaks" these days. We started with little lightweight 10 foot boats that weighed less than 50 pounds and found we could easily haul them about anywhere we wanted. We carried little in the way of "stuff" and took a minimalist approach to the fishing. They weren't particularly comfortable but they did the job.

As more and more guys got involved, particularly those moving down from larger power boats, they weren't quite willing to give up the creature comforts those larger boats provided, including the plush seating. Now you're hard pressed to find many fishing kayaks that weigh less than 80 pounds, many are well over 100. They're bigger, wider, heavier and more cumbersome to tote around. They also allow you to carry more "stuff," more easily stand (if that's your thing) and at some point may again begin to rival larger powerboats in size, storage, heft and creature comforts. It's a circle.

Here's an interesting observation - guys with AI and TI's keep wanting more of a pure sailing vessel with jib, reachers, etc., and yet at the same time they want to put a seat in their boats that you won't find in any "real" sailboat out there. So it's just a personal thing with guys going with what works for them and what they do. I do know this - whoever at Hobie is responsible for crafting a one-size fits all, does all, kayak seat is someone I don't envy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldn't agree more Tom.

I loved the Sport, its the swiss-army-knife of compact kayaks!

I love my Revo because its easy to carry, fast, and cuts through the surf like a hot knife through butter. Do I want more rod holders and a drier seat, yeah, but not at the expense of the already well-designed hull.

I'm gaining an appreciation for the Outback because when I want to get down to some serious fishing, its a better platform for me and the concave hatch [that I so loathe for channeling water into the cockpit from breaking waves] makes for an excellent place to mount my catch bag. I do however think this model is the one that could use more improvement: bow shape should be redesigned like the Sport was (sharper, less hull slap), bow hatch area should be flatter (like a proangler bow hatch) rather than concave, and of course the damn thing needs two symmetrically located hard carrying handles!

To bring things back to the topic at hand though, I'm ambivalent about the Outback's seat because I don't want a higher COG. If I was an inshore fisherman and didnt want to go as all out as a Pro Angler, I could see the desire for a raised seat in an Outback. So how about this Hobie: in the same manner that you have a square hatch kit for the outback, why don't you guys design an official kit to install a vantage-type seat in an Outback. Don't worry, it will not cannibalize your PA sales, we don't all want to pedal/paddle small skiffs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first Hobie was an Outback in 2009...it was/is a great fishing platform......I never tried to stand up in it as I have meniere's disease that seriously impacts my balance.
It's under control, but I recognize when I am close to my limits.
Regarding the standard Hobie seat......Like several other owners, just securing the aft/leaning back adjustment is critical so the straps do not slip.
And then there is the seat cushion padding thickness.....as I have aged, my "ass padding" has diminished to the point I need some extra padding...trolling for more than 4 hours became a "PITA"......so, a 1/2" thick, closed cell foam camp pad, cut to size works wonders.

Last year I bought a PA14 and from my prospective, it's the best of all worlds.....the stability and seat is excellent + the additional room makes fishing more pleasurable.....If I was 20 years younger, I would have stayed with my Outback....just say'in the Outback is hard to beat unless you go for the PA-14!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Personally, I too would rather see Hobie design a less expensive Jackson-style framed seat in the $175 range rather than adapting the ~$500 Vantage seat to other boats. The Vantage is really nice, but WAY over-designed & WAY too expensive for my tastes. I don't need a Lazy Boy on the water, just something that keeps my butt dry & comfortable and my back supported (the standard Hobie seat does none of these things). Once I get the seat where I like it I want it to just STAY THERE. There's not a lot of call for frequent seat raising/lowering/tilting in the non-PA boats, IMO.

And a side-note to the Hobie Vantage advertising department: Thanks anyway, but I don't need a $500 "camp chair" to get crudded-up with sand & mud. :)

I think the COG issue can be mitigated by having the seat bottom only about 1-1/2" above the deck - plenty of room for deflection & to let water flow into the scuppers instead of my butt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree as well. The old PA seat has created some back pain after a couple of hours. I considered a tempress bass boat style seat or retro fitting a Jackson style seat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next