Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC keel guard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If this idea has been covered I'm sorry for posting about it again. I've had my new T.I. For a few weeks now and it seems that no matter how careful I am I'm always scraping the bottom back of the boat while loading it. I searched other peoples solutions but wanted something a little more robust and would last probably the life of the boat. I have worked with PVC conduit heating it to make custom bends and this is where my idea came from. I had a piece on 1.5 sq40 PVC pipe I thought I would practice with to see how this is going to work out. I cut a slot in the pipe on the table saw. I heated it with a heat gun to the point that it was pliable. I immediately pressed it against the boat to form to the shape of the hull. With in a few seconds it firm up enough to hold the shape then I dropped it in a bucket of water to cool it off. I also beveled the leading edge to help with what little drag it would create. My plan is to use marine silicone sealant and stainless counter sink screws with lock nuts to attach it to the bottom of the hull. I would also use gray PVC conduit so it doesn't standout that much as compared to the white. Any thoughts?http://s63.photobucket.com/user/1cjK/media/Hobie%20Tandem%20Island/imagejpg2_zps8c913437.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Post subject: Re: PVC keel guard
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Screws or bolts through the hull below the waterline does NOT sound like a good idea... :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree 100% with KayakingBob, drilling any holes below the waterline is a recipe for disaster. Don't do it mate!

Surely if you grab a square or two of old carpet you can put one under the end of the kayak that touches the ground during loading, so you prevent the problem in the first place
or
you could make up a DIY arrangement (like my friend Bazza did) which lifts the kayak high enough so when you lift one end up onto a roof rack, the other end doesn't even touch the ground. The extended parts of the trolley just fall apart once he lifts the other end of his AI hull.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you already formed the shape, if you just use a good grade of adhesive that will bond fairly well to both PVC and the HDPE hull ( maybe 3m 5200). You have so much surface area that bolts or screws are not needed at all. This way when it's time to sell or replace you can pry it off.

Alternate 1. If you have a hot glue gun, hot glue works pretty good, if you pre- heat everything a little beforehand it works better ( don't go crazy with the pre heating though), might take a whole rod of hot glue, and you will have to work fast, I wouldn't do more than 6 inches a a time. Just standard hot glue sticks bond to the hull as good as any adhesives I have found, plus it is quick and easy ( a lot of us use it for everything)

A second alternate method that might work better for you (and way safer). I would go to walmart and get one of those white cutting boards ( the kind they use in kitchens, look for the words HDPE) cut it up into manageable strips (2" x 6" max). Using a Teflon frying pan ( at no more than 350 deg) just place the HDPE cutting board in the fry pan and let it melt about halfway thru ( like a pad of butter would do). While your waiting heat up the area you are going to bond to, a little with your heat gun ( don't get carried away though). When the cutting board is partially molten just transfer it to the hull (might need a spatula or putty blade) and form it on the hull ( like you did with the PVC). The cutting board will bond to the hull as part of the hull(no adhesives needed. When done just shape and thin out the edges to suit ( I use a body shop type file). Fill in all the joints with the Hobie welder or hot glue.

Ps if you have an induction cook top with precise temp control, it works best. And don't expect to ever use the frypan again for food ( basically don't get caught, do it while wife is out, and get rid of all incriminating evidence ( I was stupid I put the frypan in the garbage and wife found it, I had to buy her a whole new cooking set)).Hope this helps
Bob

PS: never ever heat up PVC like I discribed above, it emits deadly Hydrogen chloride gas when heated and will kill you. (Polyvinyl chloride) is the chemical name for the plastic (PVC for short), and when heated the Hydrogen chloride comes out ( kind of like WWI mustard gas), just so you know (starting at around 200f). I just would hate to read the headline man drowns in garage working on boat. It only takes a small wiff ( I have burn't my lungs and eyes working with PVC in molding plants). As a side note, the Hydrogen chloride gas emitted by the PVC during molding is so corrosive that all PVC molds must be made of stainless steel, also OSHA requires outside venting of all molding machines running PVC. I'm not even talking about the deadly dioxins that are released when heated (even more deadly), that's another story. The stuff is perfectly safe as long as it's kept below 158 deg F. I'm just sayin...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gee, I can help thinking that those carpet squares, or trolley extensions are starting to sound REAL GOOD! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wasn't 100% on putting any holes in the bottom. I thought I would try some of this 3M double sided tape that is used on https://www.keelguard.com product. ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
PS: never ever heat up PVC like I discribed above, it emits deadly Hydrogen chloride gas when heated and will kill you. (Polyvinyl chloride) is the chemical name for the plastic (PVC for short), and when heated the Hydrogen chloride comes out ( kind of like WWI mustard gas), just so you know (starting at around 200f). I just would hate to read the headline man drowns in garage working on boat. It only takes a small wiff ( I have burn't my lungs and eyes working with PVC in molding plants). As a side note, the Hydrogen chloride gas emitted by the PVC during molding is so corrosive that all PVC molds must be made of stainless steel, also OSHA requires outside venting of all molding machines running PVC. I'm not even talking about the deadly dioxins that are released when heated (even more deadly), that's another story. The stuff is perfectly safe as long as it's kept below 158 deg F. I'm just sayin...
:o :shock: :| Holy Smokes Batman!! Time to retire that PVC bong!

Just sayin,... :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
fusioneng wrote:
:o :shock: :| Holy Smokes Batman!! Time to retire that PVC bong!

Just sayin,... :oops:

Nohuhu, that made me actually laugh out loud.

I've been using a carpet square, but still am concerned with the gudgeon and rudder contact with the ground when I lift the hull - it's ever so slight, but the entire weight is focused there. I'm planning to build a small wood mount that elevates the tail just enough to keep the rudder/gudgeon clear when lifting onto the truck racks. Or I guess I could load it stern-forward...
Aloha, RH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:

So true. If working with PVC you should take all proper precautions not to subject harm to your health. I guess I need to add the "release of liability" statement to all my future post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I came up with the following solution, as I didn't want to damage the gudgeon and rudder. Find it in my previous post.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=49790#p224629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1cjk, you'll want to taper and smooth the edges of that thing to reduce drag and snags, but the idea is great.

You won't want the RED boats passing you cuz you're a knot slower.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
1cjk, you'll want to taper and smooth the edges of that thing to reduce drag and snags, but the idea is great.

You won't want the RED boats passing you cuz you're a knot slower.

I did bevel the leading and side edges. I think the camera angle is making look super thick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay. Maybe I shude put this pipe down for awhile,.. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Made one for the front.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellow Hobie kayakers, I know the thread has been idle for a while, but...

For years I've been trying to find a solution trying to protect all my Hobies (Outback 2013, Outback 2014 and finally now... my brand new Hobie Outback 2015

Must have spent countless hours online doing research on possible, doable and above all effective solutions to protect both stern a bow keels on my Outbacks. Result... Never found anything truly worth while, either because after some research review show products not being really effective as they would offer little to no protection OR other products out there were too expensive and required some tweaking (forget about the fact you if you make a mistake or the solution don't actually work... that would be an expensive prototype)

Now that I came up with what I feel as being PERFECT solution (and cheap I should add) figured I should share...

PLEASE DONT TAKE ME WRONG... By no means I think this is better than anyone's else solution (a perfect solution i and will always be what works for you) but... I'm really happy with it and will protect my new Outback when loading/unloading the kayak to/from my truck roof rack and launching/arriving to the boat ramp (concrete)

You will notice the after making these two pieces the 32oz jar (approx. $30) is still over 3/4 full (this was also after making a couple nose/tail protectors for my longboard skateboard) - Pigment Pack (approx. $12)

Total cost for BOTH pieces: LESS $5

(Please note: MATTE scotch tape was used to prevent morphing plastic from adhering to shape roller, kayak and everything else...)

BTW you can make this in whatever color you'd like...