Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback Transport Issue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So quick question. I have a glass roof on my car so roof racks are out. So I decided I toss one on the wifes jetta.
180lb capacity rhino rack.

The rack came in the mail today. The issue is my buddy decided he was going to get a hobie outback too.

Originally i figured I could put mine in the cradle and get a jhook for his and both would fit.

So now im unsure of the best method to get two outback ontop of a jetta.

Any good ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh sure...make me out to be the bad guy! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two outbacks will stack neatly one on top of the other (obviously remove seat and gear from both).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

image by finteo, on Flickr

My setup on placing 2 revo 11 on my car. The outback is a bit longer and heavier but still manageable I think.

I use a set of Thule stacker in the middle to place two revo 11 on top my carbon fibre roof top. Can load one kayak in less than 4 mins.... The revolution 11 is light to lift and places on my M3 coupe by myself, use 4 Yakima straps with metal part fully covered with rubber padding is important to avoid hitting the car, my dealer exchange my Thule straps that come with the stacker to Yakima for free and I just buy another set:).... I can speed up to 80 miles on the highway with no problem with 2 kayaks.... can put 3 revo 11 on top if needed, just move the stackers, one on one side and two on the other side.

The stackers can be folded down when not in use or remove in few mins. My Thule aero bars is a bit longer than my car roof width and there are rubbers padding on the bars to avoid sliding and scratching on the kayak.

No problem so far after a year and can't think of a better way for my revo 11 on my M3 setup ... sporty, light and fast to get on the road & water:) have to thank my dealer at southwind kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Fin, :shock: wow, just wow.
Here I am considering getting an old beat up pickup truck for a weekend car to transport kayaks and gear and have a separate "fun" car for the weekdays, BUT YOU have that all rolled up in one very well thought out package. NICE! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="Jcanracer"]Hobie Fin, :shock: wow, just wow.
Here I am considering getting an old beat up pickup truck for a weekend car to transport kayaks and gear and have a separate "fun" car for the weekdays, BUT YOU have that all rolled up in one very well thought out package. NICE! :

I went to my local dealer to look at what kayak that I can put on my car and I was looking at inflatable as that is the easiest and decide not to as it feels too much fun to be sitting on top of a blown up doll :)

Than I saw the new revo 11 and he told me that is the new sport car version of hobie:)

I ask him if I can have two on my car and he laughed at me as he told me no one do that on a carbon fibre roof top m3 and my car can't even pull a trailer at the back. He too suggested I get a used truck or Van or get the doll :(

I asked him to work with me to make his $$$$ and I get my toy ... just need him to find the right parts but not foam blocks and ropes. Lift it up on my shoulder 57 lb and put it on the top which is low for a coupe, straps and done. My car have roof adapter inserts for racks and can carry about 160 lb from BMW. The two revo with the rack is about 130 LB.

It works well for me but might not for others just sharing another tested option. Fishing with a hobie is FUN. I love the look of the pro angler (truck) & the sail of the adventure island (SUV) but for now the revo 11 goes with my coupe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too carry two kayaks on my 2009 Civic Si sedan. Both Hobie Adventures. The system actually works quite well. However, securing the second kayak to the Thule bars can be a bit of a pain. But once you have a system down - it goes more smoothly.

The Hobies even load well onto a rack at the back of a large boat. The launch site was a 2 hour highway drive from home.

I hope to write up the epic trip report that began with this boat ferrying us to some remote islands on Lake Superior - soon. I think I'll call it "Ghosts of the Slate Islands: The Woodland Caribou". We plan to go back.

Mike