Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone know of a conversion or anyone that has put the new advantage seat onto their old pro angler, I have an actual flip down padded boat seat, but was wanting to try to convert to the advantage seat, saw you could get the seats for $500 somewhere online, Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I would spend the $500 on something for the PA other than adding the seat. I have both the old seat and the Vantage seat and would not consider trying to get the Vantage seat to work on my 2012 PA14. Except for the lack of storage under the seat, the older seat isn't that bad. But again that all boils down to personal preferences. Each of us has a different comfort level.

If I were to add the Vantage seat to an older PA, I'd first check to see if it would fit and line up where I could mount the 2 forward floor mounts that the Vantage seat locks into and then add some sort of elevation blocks for the rear of the seat to rest on (if you want an elevated "Vantage" position) and then add a retention strap. The parts (retention strap and front floor mounts) can be ordered I'm sure.

I upgraded to the 2013 PA14 more for the flat floor than the seat. Standing and casting is much better with the new floor than straddling the elevated tackle compartment on the older models. Just my 2 cents worth.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've posted this many times, but for a few dollars worth of bolts and a piece of scrap 2x4, you can raise the old seat and get a) a MUCH better leg angle for pedaling, and b) a lot more storage room underneath.

Risers installed:

and view showing seat and storage room:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RR,

Thanks for the input. I added one of those seat sliders to my 2012 PA14 when I bought it. It mounted right to the existing seat base and raised the seat up a few inches as well as allowed the seat to be adjusted forward and backwards. You solution looks simple and inexpensive. I think the Vantage seat is the "object of desire"...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the input, yes the advantage seat is of desire and I guess wanting to look new, believe me I've added everything possible to my proangler I can think of, from the seadek flooring, LED lights, micro power pole, hobie livewell, well I think I'm getting overboard. The simple solution of the wooden risers, do you feel less stable leaning from side to side, bc of the higher center of gravity?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't yet. I see no difference in stability, and my name is Rocky, LOL! As far as strength, I did select a piece of nice tight-grained wood, but so far it's been as solid as can be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chaffnerdds wrote:
Thanks for all the input, yes the advantage seat is of desire and I guess wanting to look new, believe me I've added everything possible to my proangler I can think of, from the seadek flooring, LED lights, micro power pole, hobie livewell, well I think I'm getting overboard. The simple solution of the wooden risers, do you feel less stable leaning from side to side, bc of the higher center of gravity?

My curiosity was up so I checked to see if the Vantage seat would even fit in the seat area of the 2012. It does, but the fit is close on the ends of the front legs as far as fitting inside the raised sides. I suppose it would be possible to add those 2 black retainer mounts so the front Vantage seat legs would hook into them. That would require the right screws and decent sized washers on the back side.

Again...looking at it, it would be a snug install and might require the front legs to be inserted into those front retainer bases with a little side pressure. The seat doesn't sit too bad without the rear being raised, but it probably would not be too hard to add something to raise the seat up slightly in the back to simulate the "Vantage" position. Then you would just mount the retaining strap like the 2013 model.

Not saying it "not" doable. I'm happy with the older seat on my 2012 for now.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is something for you to think about if you are unhappy with your seat. Ive seen it but haven't tried it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccqNntT9ys