Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Hauler....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just finished getting the SportRig Micro Trailer ready for the trip to the annual YakAttack tourney in Virginia this month.

Bought the trailer almost two years ago (used) but only saw action as a garage storage rack. :oops:

Newly issued Florida tag, Yakima replacement heavy-duty shocks, Hobie Pro Angler cradles, Malone DownLoader folding J-racks, new wiring harness, safety chain and LED lighting have turned this into a nice "Hobie Hauler"!

Should do quite well getting the PA12 and Revo 11 to the water, be it 10 minutes or 10 hours. Image

Post subject: Re: Hobie Hauler....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Suh-weet!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt.FireDog wrote:
Just finished getting the SportRig Micro Trailer ready for the trip to the annual YakAttack tourney in Virginia this month.

Bought the trailer almost two years ago (used) but only saw action as a garage storage rack. :oops:

Newly issued Florida tag, Yakima replacement heavy-duty shocks, Hobie Pro Angler cradles, Malone DownLoader folding J-racks, new wiring harness, safety chain and LED lighting have turned this into a nice "Hobie Hauler"!

Should do quite well getting the PA12 and Revo 11 to the water, be it 10 minutes or 10 hours. Image

The picture didn't make it on my end. Would like to see it. :D

EDIT** Never mind. Looking at this from work. Work is blocking the pictures.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2x sweet.
Trailers sure make launching and retreiving alot easier than car topping or hauling in a truck bed. You'll love it.

Heroes don't wear capes; they wear dog tags

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Maybe it's just me but I'd be concerned with the straps just looped around the horizontal trailer supports slipping off the ends due to bouncing down the road. May want to reconsider how you have it strapped down before you hit the road.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great
And good luck w tourney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Police, USAR SFC

Broward County Florida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like the big tires. You should be able to haul arse down the highway :mrgreen: See you next month at the Classic!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust the small tires and small bearings at highway speeds. I have also done some research and found many small tires are not designed for more than 45 MPH...specifically the ones that are sold at Harbor Freight. I know many yakkers have had no issues with them, but it only takes one instance to ruin a fishing trip, or possibly destroy your boat. I personally was doing a 70 mph, 5 hr. round trip 3 times a week with no issues until I discovered my tire rating was 45mph maximum, and they got replaced immediately. Surprisingly, the higher speed rating tires are only about $5 more, but you have to get them from a reputable tire dealer. IMO, the smaller trailers and tires are pretty much designed for local traffic, not extended highway speeds. So, for the safety of your gear it might be a good idea to check the tire rating.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pro Angler Dan wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I'd be concerned with the straps just looped around the horizontal trailer supports slipping off the ends due to bouncing down the road. May want to reconsider how you have it strapped down before you hit the road.

Me too! :mrgreen:
That's why I bought a pair of stainless steel Footman Loops from West Marine, they will mount under the bar and keep the 1" strap securely on the bar.

pjs wrote:
2x sweet.
Trailers sure make launching and retrieving a lot easier than car topping or hauling in a truck bed. You'll love it.

For two boats, I agree....for most times when it's just the PA12, I 'll be sticking with my highly modified Harbor Freight bed extender.....soon to be replaced by a Boonedox aluminum T-bone extender (I hope).
Baron2744 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't trust the small tires and small bearings at highway speeds. I have also done some research and found many small tires are not designed for more than 45 MPH...specifically the ones that are sold at Harbor Freight. I know many yakkers have had no issues with them, but it only takes one instance to ruin a fishing trip, or possibly destroy your boat. I personally was doing a 70 mph, 5 hr. round trip 3 times a week with no issues until I discovered my tire rating was 45mph maximum, and they got replaced immediately. Surprisingly, the higher speed rating tires are only about $5 more, but you have to get them from a reputable tire dealer. IMO, the smaller trailers and tires are pretty much designed for local traffic, not extended highway speeds. So, for the safety of your gear it might be a good idea to check the tire rating.

22" motorcycle tire, rims and heavy-duty 450lb shocks-
"Trailers are DOT-certified for interstate speeds and are regulated by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and the FMVSSA (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Act). Trailer features fully independent adjustable suspension with 4” of wheel travel – about twice that of standard trailers. More wheel travel means a greater ability to cushion your precious cargo. The motorcycle shocks are designed for up to 300 pounds of gear, reducing the chance of “going airborne” over bumps, a notorious problem with normal trailers."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lt,

That's a sweet looking setup! At least I can view the pictures from home...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the input folks.Image

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain