Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H16 transom repair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I originally posted this in the 16 forum, but I know the open forums get a little more traffic. Here is a link to the progress of the repair. I'm basically rebuilding the transom from the inside glass out to ultimately install the newer one piece gudgeons and have new material to tap into to keep the screw size at 12-24. I've still got a bit to do.

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... t=2&page=1

Hobie guru question: If you look at two of the pictures of the deck lip, you will see that there appears to be red glue in between the layers of the deck. Could this be a redline boat, or is just coincidence that the resin cured that color?

Feel free to comment on what I've been doing. I'll take all criticisms as constructive. This is my first major repair and first time using fiberglass.

Post subject: Re: H16 transom repair
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The serial number puts it in the date range - it was built in December of 1985 as an 86 model.

The glue seam looks to be the right color red.

Verdict - red glue seam boat. It is probably closer to minimum weight than boats built prior to 1984 model year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sweet! I was always curious as I knew it was around the time of the red glue boats. I could also tell a huge difference moving around those 86' hulls compared to my old 83's. I picked those 86' hulls up after my 83's delaminated and pieced together a "new" boat. The "new" boat just felt lighter and more responsive. I also glued the frame, and I'm sure that helped stiffen her up as well. I've never had the boat weighed, but now I am curious. Hopefully the repair isn't adding too much weight, or messing things up. I was really pleased with how the boat was sailing before the gudgeon failure.

It looks like 62.9 "from memory" is painted with gel coat on the port hull stern just behind the non-skid pattern. Could that be the weight of the hull? I can take a picture after work and double check that.

Man, I can't wait to get her back on the water. I'm ready for this rainy east coast weather to subside so I can continue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The transom repair shouldn't add a significant amount of weight - that area's pretty solid to begin with.

Red glue seam boats have a reputation for being fragile. Mine broke a pylon shoe, and I've heard other people have had problems, too. As yours is towards the end of the red glue period, I would think most of the kinks had been worked out, but you should keep a close eye out for delamination, any unusual noises (griding, popping) coming from the pylons or depressions around the pylon fairings (indicating the pylon has been pushed down).

This makes sense in that almost a gallon of polyester resin was eliminated from each hull build when the weight was reduced to 320#.

62.9# is really light if that's the weight of that hull. Most 16 hulls are 67-72 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just curious, was the reduction in resin achieved by switching to a vacuum bag process?

sm