Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holder 12 upper gudgeon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My upper gudgeon (learned that word today!) on my Holder 12 got bent out of shape last summer due to some reckless skippering by my brother. (it was worth it to get him out sailing...)

We had to take the screws off the gudgeon just to get the rudder off the boat! I tried to bend it back in shape using a vice but no luck so far. I have found some generic gudgeons for sale online, but not the original ones, and I'm not sure if a generic set would work with the rudder hardware (trying to avoid changing that hardware too).
Any tips on how to repair or where to buy these?
Thanks.
Jeff
Deerfield MA

Separately, I"m also looking for advice on repairing or replacing the upper fiberglass mast (shedding fiberglass - too much UV damage, I think) and the hiking strap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Admin

We are totally out of Holder gudgeons and masts. Maybe use a Laser gudgeon? I believe it may be similar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would check out APS Sailing (apsltd.com) as a first start for the gudgeon. They probably don't have the specific Holder 12 gudgeon, but they may have something that will work.

As far as the mast is concerned, the shedding of fiberglass fibers is due to leaving the mast out in the sun. If the mast is otherwise in good shape (no cracks), the easiest thing to do is take some 150 grit sandpaper (wear gloves and long clothes) and knock off all the loose fibers. Then shoot the mast with a couple coats of spray paint to seal everything up. Keep the mast out of the sun as much as possible.

For replacing the hiking strap, it is just tied off at the stern and it is held on by the mainsheet cleat screws at the front. You can get a replacement strap from APS (I belive they make cusom straps). Or you can fab something up yourself from a 2" piece of webbing.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Matt and Old Salt!
-Jeff