Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Rake / Flipping
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I have 2 hobie's 14' / 16' and have never got close to flipping either one. :lol:

My neighbor has a 16', and everytime I've gone out with him, his hobie flips. :roll:

His mast is almost straight up, and both of mine are angled back.

Does the mast rake have anything to do with his problem?

Thanks,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

More than likely the lack of rake helps you to flip. Did you pitchpole? 14s and 16s like lots of rake as best I can tell- if youve got too little, they like to push the lee bow under and stall/ flip. I try to get as much rake as I can on both my boats ( a 14t and 16 also)- Dave

Post subject: Pitchpole ?
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info.

Both of my cats came raked and I've never had a problem. But then again, I haven't been able to get them up on one hull either.

I sure would like too with out going out in a Hurricane, lol
(16' has a jib / 14' no jib)

All I've had to do is replace the cable's. I had a local sailboat shop beef up all the cables on the 14'.

Pitchpole :? ? lol, not a clue.

Thanks,
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Mast rake (aft) can ease the loads on the bows of any catamaran. By having the mast more forward, you drive the bows into the water more. This can lead to a "pitch pole" which is when the bow digs in and the boat flips over forward. That is typically a very fast stop! By raking the mast aft, the bows ride higher. It also puts the sail power aft and over the rudders for better all around performance. Racers typically rake very far aft which helps the boat "point" higher (closer to the wind) into the wind.

Typical rake adjustment is measured by rigging the boat. Sheet in the main sail tightly. If there is a distance between the boom blocks and the ratchet block, you can rake further aft. You can rake aft as far as to have the main blocks touch when sheeted as tight as you would for that days wind and wave conditions. Loosen the jib halyard (on a 16) and let the mast ease back. Lower the shroud (side stays) in their adjusters and re tension the jib halyard. Be sure to have someone help you and hold a trapeze wire or main halyard line to hold the mast up while the shroud wires are adjusted one at a time (easier when the main sail is not up).

The mast raked more forward can be more powerful, but they sail better raked aft. You should be able to "fly a hull" easily on a 16 in 8-10 knots of wind. Easiest to get started when pointed a bit higher into the wind then ease the boat further away from the wind till you power up. Keep the main traveler in the center. As the hull comes up, control the height by sheeting out or rounding up into the wind a little.

I love summer!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. since Hurrican season just started, I'll give it a try.
Michael, gone sailing in the Gulf, lol