Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Better than that...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This should be in the H16 FAQ. :-)

I stopped trying to get the tramp any tighter after I saw the side rails starting to bend. This little tip takes the worry out of the process. works great!

Randy

mmiller wrote:
Better than that...

On a 14 or 16 you can "pre-bend" the sidebars before tensioning the center lace. We do not use double grommets down the center and get tight tramps without a huge effort.

Use the mainsheet system. Lay the blocks and line on the tramp "unsheeted" from side to side bar... in the center. Add a line to the base of the blocks that can reach around the sidebar, under the tramp and meet the top block. Tie off. Pad the side bars with some cardboard where the line goes around the sidebars. Sheet the system to bend the sidebars in by over 1". We sheet till the tramp gets a little pucker shape along the sidebar. Cleat the blocks and tighten the tramp using moderate tension. Using the vise grips, dowell or just holding the line at each grommet as you go. Tension the aft lace last and then release the block set.

We use this system and get over 1-2 inches of prebend in the bars for over 1 inch after releasing.

Worst loads on a grommet are during tensioning each one... this saves effort and grommets.

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

Post subject: Re: Tramp - how tight?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!

Yesterday I replaced my old tramp in my HC16 but I am not sure whether I have over tighten it.
I used a new mesh trampoline and a new rope tightening it as much as I could by hand.
The rope that I used is elastic, there are many rubber strings inside it, to be used specifically for the trampoline.

I am not sure whether the bend in the side rails is normal or extreme. Is it possible that they break while trapezing? Could you please check the photo and share your opinion?

Link https://www.flickr.com/photos/31177646@N08/13504462355/

Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy, very informative thread! How often do you guys tighten like this? Is it ok to leave the tramp this tight between sailing? For instance would you loosen between regattas/ trailering or do you just set it and forget it for the season?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Set and forget for the season unless it loosens up, then re-tighten. During the off-season (winter), it's not a bad idea to loosen the lacings to let everything relax, or if you store your boat outside, remove the tramp completely and store it inside.

sm

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just tightened mine up a few weeks ago, got it much tighter than the first time. Could actually tell a small difference. Felt like the entire boat was stiffer.